Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
6M is actually a lot for him. I am sure he is matched, but this might screw up the Habs internal salary going forward as he will not want a paycut going forward.
Pretty much the whole point of Carolina doing this. Sending a message about what happens when a team tries to offersheet a Canes player that what goes around comes around. Difference is that Kotkaniemi isn't actually worth that cap hit whereas Aho's offersheet was barely market value for a point-per-game 1C in his early 20s.

Still think Montreal matches this because the return from Carolina (a third and a very late first rounder) isn't worth Kotkaniemi, but this will hurt them for resigning him long term.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
The pettiness is hilarious.
The Canes should be thanking Bergevin for taking care of negotiations with Aho and getting them a great deal on him. But that wouldn't be as funny.

I never understood this line of thinking...if Carolina thought it was such a great deal wouldn’t they have just agreed to those terms anyway? They obviously thought they could do better

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I never understood this line of thinking...if Carolina thought it was such a great deal wouldn’t they have just agreed to those terms anyway? They obviously thought they could do better
Yep They wanted 8 years and Who (Other then Aho) wouldn't have wanted that? Aho wanted 5 to get to FA status as reasonably fast as he could.. I don't blame him or Montreal for that. But the Canes front office didn't mind the AAV but I am SURE they Hated potentially losing 3 years of term..
Also I'm sure they are OK if Montreal let's them have JK. As well as if Montreal matches...

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I cant wait to see what bargain bin says after we figure out if he goes or stays, and what's the over under on him wearing the purple suit.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
as a Habs fan, i fully commend the Canes on this brilliant act of pettiness. i expect MB will match as i don't think the Canes would risk it if he weren't going to

They look fully in on stealing him. A warning shot would be something that hurts but does not take much thought to match.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Montreal shouldn’t match. KK is not worth 6 million. Let Carolina have him and give you picks, one of which is an unprotected first rounder that could be a great pick if Carolinas goaltending shits the bed, which is very likely considering Andersen is cooked and Raanta can’t stay healthy

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Montreal has to find a way to match. Love Suzuki but no way they are going into next season with only one legit center..no offense to Evans who is a nice player. Plus being in probably the toughest division doesn't help.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
Pretty much the whole point of Carolina doing this. Sending a message about what happens when a team tries to offersheet a Canes player that what goes around comes around. Difference is that Kotkaniemi isn't actually worth that cap hit whereas Aho's offersheet was barely market value for a point-per-game 1C in his early 20s.

Still think Montreal matches this because the return from Carolina (a third and a very late first rounder) isn't worth Kotkaniemi, but this will hurt them for resigning him long term.

The name of the game is cap space now and always talking about how every dollar matters. How much more can his value possibly be than a first and a third? Then, if you sign the guy to a contract with negative value (gotta qualify him at 6), then now the guy has negative trade value. It would take a clown to match this (not saying that he's not one).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Massive overpayment ($ wise) for Kotkaniemi. By comparison, he should be earning about half that, right?

Whether he stays in Montreal or plays in Carolina, that will be difficult to live up to. And next offseason will be interesting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I love that $20 signing bonus reference :laugh:

that is by far the best part.

aho2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad