Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Well if they want to go back and forth with one of the teams with the deepest pockets I can’t imagine a way where it ends well for Carolina.

When Montreal offersheeted Aho, the contract included one upfront bonus payment of $21m, which Montreal didn't think Carolina would or could match. Carolina matched.

Habs already found out, being one of the teams with the deepest pockets in a cap league, only goes so far.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
When Montreal offersheeted Aho, the contract included one upfront bonus payment of $21m, which Montreal didn't think Carolina would or could match. Carolina matched.

Habs already found out, being one of the teams with the deepest pockets in a cap league, only goes so far.
in an uncapped world, sure it'd make a difference... but that's not the world they play in

the BIG upfront bonus is the only hammer a deep pocket team has the advantage with

Reactions: CREW99AW

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Aho's contract was fair 8.5 m for an impact player.

Kotkaniemi at one year 6m isn't. Take him Carolina, we will trade the picks for another center signed long term.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Been saying it for years. KK is one of the most over rated players in the league. Easily replaceable but being this far in the off season hurts. I hope the Habs match (as a leaf fan)
Still mad / in denial he was the one who tied the series in overtime against the Leafs?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Aho's contract was fair 8.5 m for an impact player.

Kotkaniemi at one year 6m isn't. Take him Carolina, we will trade the picks for another center signed long term.
you might be able to get Dvorak with those picks... maybe

wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. other than him, how many centers are available?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
MAYBE Eichel, if we pay more than 1st and 3rd picks.
Eichels a tough one. Buffalo is gonna ask more than what MTL wants to give

and Eichel still hasn't had his procedure, so while I'm not gonna call him damaged goods, ya just don't know what Eichel you're getting

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I don't think so. By the CBA, Montreal has the right of first refusal. That would suggest the SPC is currently theirs to refuse.

Can Canadiens also trade him away right now? I don't think Hurricanes have such option, but do Canadiens? I know that after this "matching time" is over he can't be traded, but does it extend to this very moment also?

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
let KK go, I dont want him on my team EVER. from now on I hope he is a huge BUST and runs back to Finland in two years forced to play for the local garage league team. Yes I know he saw all that BIG money and well lets see, chose the money over the MTL fans, well that lets you know just who this is. WHAT! I can't blame him ! FU yes I can. Habs drafted him gave him his big chance and now HABS get the big KNIFE IN THE BACK. I am not surprised about canes getting even, but this war is NOT OVER, it's just getting started. I realy dont blame the canes to try to get even, but I DO BLAME KK, his signed it before talking to MB. maybe just maybe KK and MB could have done a deal to stay, but NO, KK chose to NOT stand like a man in front of his boss and see what could be done. SO to hell with the Habs, I WANT MONEY, EVEN IF I DON'T DESERVE IT RIGHT NOW.
Lol, you would've taken the money too.
If you wouldn't, you'd be absolutely insane

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
kotkaniemi has not produced anything close. 34 points is the lowest productivity in the history of any offer sheet

We only know about offer sheets that are signed by the player. So you are just guessing.

Also I think Stu Grimson was offer sheeted by the Rangers in 1995 when he was in Detroit with below 20 career points in NHL so your statement is just false.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Same risk any "Contending" team takes when they trade for a rental.. Sorry I don't find that to be all that high a risk. Unless the team implodes and if you think KK is the reason we implode well I just can't beleive you. He may not be able to stop it from happening but that's not the same as the cause.
Raanta and Anderson going down for the season as well as Aho Slavin and Staal would be all more likely to be the cause..

It would not be because of this player no - but tunnel vision of absolutely no risk involved was the angle I was referring to.

If Carolina goaltending is not up to par for example and they are in that 15-20 range it simply might not be so ideal.

On the other hand if he does not perform and Carolina let's him test UFA then even a late 1st is still a spent asset.

If he realizes his potential then of course it is a bargain for Carolina. I simple don't think it is an established robbery at this point. There is risk and I am unsure if this was worth the statement being made. Montreal does deserve the ridicule regardless because of the Aho nonsense. That was poorly thought out and executed by the Habs.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Can Canadiens also trade him away right now? I don't think Hurricanes have such option, but do Canadiens? I know that after this "matching time" is over he can't be traded, but does it extend to this very moment also?
believe MTL could trade him right now

the team trading for him would be under the same constraints tho. not sure how likely that would be now that this OS is out there

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not deep diving this thread. What the hell is with the 20 dollar signing bonus? That smells like it has more of a personal meaning attached to it.

Reactions: viceroy

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It would not be because of this player no - but tunnel vision of absolutely no risk involved was the angle I was referring to.

If Carolina goaltending is not up to par for example and they are in that 15-20 range it simply might not be so ideal.

On the other hand if he does not perform and Carolina let's him test UFA then even a late 1st is still a spent asset.

If he realizes his potential then of course it is a bargain for Carolina. I simple don't think it is an established robbery at this point. There is risk and I am unsure if this was worth the statement being made. Montreal does deserve the ridicule regardless because of the Aho nonsense. That was poorly thought out and executed by the Habs.
Just like every other !st for Rental.. it's not zero risk.. Cause nothing is.. but it's not a risk I will worry about. Just like If I choose to Fly to Seattle there's a risk I won't come back home it's not great enough to persuade me not to :) And I concur that our goal tending is a far bigger risk but those are done deals now we have to live with it.. I doubt there would be a trade we could make to salvage the season if our goaltending collapses like a house of cards in a stiff wind.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It’s a lose-lose for the habs.

Don’t match and you lose one of your best young players.

Match and you’re overpaying for a player that hasn’t reached his potential.
Yep. Sometimes it happens though, and the teams hands are tied.

Say for example, Adam fox. Didn't want to play in Carolina, had to take what they could get for him, which was a 2nd and a 3rd. Better than nothing but far from ideal.

Same way we have to look at losing kk. Sometimes, shit happens, and you have to deal with it.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad