Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs extension with Hurricanes (8 years, $4.82M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
We're talking about the people that let Ferland walk in free agency, traded Fox to NYR rather than try and force the issue, and didn't even bother giving Dougie Hamilton a competitive offer after giving up Lindholm and Hanifin for them?

The current management group are many things. Determined to prove they "won" a transaction isn't one of them. It's the opposite, they dgaf.

This isn't hard. Trocheck is likely gone. That means the 2nd line center is open. If JK can step into it, you have a long term #2 signed to a long term team friendly deal. If not, you can buy him out for 800k a year.

What makes you think KK can be even half as good as Trocheck, or even Jordan Staal because he's mentionned a few times in this thread? In 240 games in the NHL he's played a total of 2:14 of penalty kill.

If they want a new 2C, why tie themselves to KK in the hopes that eventually he can possibly become a competent 2C after he's been overpaid for a few years into his contract. LOL I see the Canes even traded for Domi who is also technically a C.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
still so many fans think it's the right strategy to pay players for past performances instead of future.

obviously carolina took a gamble here. but they had him for a year and want to keep him. they are confident in his potential and instilling confidence in young players is one of the best ways to develop them.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If they want a new 2C, why tie themselves to KK in the hopes that eventually he can possibly become a competent 2C after he's been overpaid for a few years into his contract.
Because players who offer more value than their cap hit (like a #2 center making <5 mil) are extremely valuable to cap teams, which Carolina currently is.

And because if it doesn't work out they can buy him out for cheap (or trade him to another team that hopes for a resurgence and also knows they can buy him out for cheap if it doesn't materialize).

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Because players who offer more value than their cap hit (like a #2 center making <5 mil) are extremely valuable to cap teams, which Carolina currently is.

And because if it doesn't work out they can buy him out for cheap (or trade him to another team that hopes for a resurgence and also knows they can buy him out for cheap if it doesn't materialize).

You do remember that the Canes are paying this guy 6M this year to play on their 4th line?

Meanwhile the likes of Rem Pitlick (who? exactly) and Michael Bunting are playing out of their minds for a fraction of that. Good luck.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Remember everyone who said that there was no way he would sign an extension for less than $6m?

lol

$4.82aav for him is going to be a fantastic contract in a very short time.

Yup.

All it took is an 8-year contract at almost 5M/per to re-sign the guy you got for a 1st round pick and who is making 6M to play on your 4th line this year.

Genius moves.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You do remember that the Canes are paying this guy 6M this year to play on their 4th line?
And next year he'll get his shot at the 2nd line. We'll see if he can grab it.

Meanwhile the likes of Rem Pitlick (who? exactly) and Michael Bunting are playing out of their minds for a fraction of that. Good luck.
.....okay?

Are you so incapable of responding to my point you have to brag about this year's overachieving tweeners on random garbage team? As a fan of a team that was garbage for nearly a decade that wasn't uncommon, Tlusty, Pothier, Terry, McBain etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Remember all the people who said that the KK contract would prevent the Canes from making any deadline deals?

lol

traded a former 3rd round pick for Max Domi (salary retained)

And then announced a KK extension to a AAV that we were also told would be impossible

lol

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Funny how that $6.1m contract ain't a f***ing problem at all this year, isn't it? We had cap space to burn, we weaponized it to get someone we wanted, and then still made the deadline deal we were told the contract would prohibit us from making.

And then we mid-season signed an extension that obliterated the contract talking point.

You'll have to excuse me if all I can do is laugh hysterically at fans of the last place team who keeps trying to tell us how bad we are at asset management after those series of moves.

Reactions: cptjeff

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Funny how that $6.1m contract ain't a f***ing problem at all this year, isn't it? We had cap space to burn, we weaponized it to get someone we wanted, and then still made the deadline deal we were told the contract would prohibit us from making.

And then we mid-season signed an extension that obliterated the contract talking point.

You'll have to excuse me if all I can do is laugh hysterically at fans of the last place team who keeps trying to tell us how bad we are at asset management after those series of moves.
laughing hysterically can be a sign of anxiety

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

giphy.webp

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
low AAV, don't think he's got a high ceiling so will never be a MacKinnon deal, but he can be a middle 6 guy for a long time (still young), not bad

Reactions: Tryamw

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Looks like JK still has a place to stay in Montreal..at least he’s living rent free in a lot of habs fans heads.
Yeah as a Habs fan I'm really annoyed at other Habs fans trashing the guy. He was too young, too rushed, and finally took his career into his own hands and buzzed off before the dodo Ducharme and bozo Bergevin ruined it for good.

I'll be rooting for Jesperi

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I lack the words to say what to think when you have a 2002 registered person sounding like a teenager. It's IMPOSSIBLE, Colonel O'neill.

Still, on-topic, this a deal I'd love the Ducks could've done. Kotkaniemi has actually been really good this year with his minutes.

Reactions: ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad