Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs extension with Hurricanes (8 years, $4.82M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
View attachment 519539

That is why it's a really low risk signature.
After 4 years, he can be bought out for peanuts.
Low risk high rewards for the Canes
What this really means is that if he Stalls for the next 2 or 3 years, they can trade him easily to some other team hoping to get that bargain, if not they can just buy him out. Carolina under Dundon really hates buying out players, they prefer trading bad contract for bad contract (rask for niederreiter, darling for Reimer).

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
why not bridge him ?

I know they offer sheet him but thats a lot term for guy whos still unproven

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
He's got 23 pts so far with 12mins of ice time.
I expect he'll be a 50pt guy playing more minutes in the future.

Yes, i think everyone's been expecting this for the past 4 seasons. But in reality, he didn't improve his offensive production. The Canes are gambling on it though and it could pay off in a few years.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Kotkaniemi is getting 4th line minutes (avg 12:01 ice time) and has scored 23 points this year.

A total of zero other players in the entire league that have gotten less average ice time have more points than him (only Tomasino is tied with 23 points as well).

Also he's 21 years old, so there is still time for development and this contract covers age 22-29 seasons, which should include his core years of production.

Any 8-year contract has risk, but I think this is a very good gamble from Carolina to project that he will be at least a serviceable 2nd line center for a good part of his contract, maybe as early as next year, and he has the potential to be more than that. Even if he underperforms, he's already shown to be a good bottom-6 centre and $4.82M for a 3rd line centre wouldn't cripple the Canes cap if that were the case.

As for Kotkaniemi, he gets a guaranteed >$38 million... to play for a good team that wants him. Hard to say no to that.

It's a brutal contract and more importantly and huge precedent for other young players will expect to get long term contracts based on nothing but where they were drafted.

He's got zero goals and 1 assist in his last 13 games. He's getting so little icetime because he's not beating any other centers they have and he's not playing on the PK at all. He's actually fifth on their team in draws taken so he's not even trusted as a center really. Last year on the Habs board there were a bunch of posters that thought Danault wasn't even worth 4.5 million per year even though he was playing huge minutes and a key role for the team but now KK's getting over 40 million over 9 years? Crazy.

Reactions: Riddum

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Good Luck with that.
This should put that silly narrative of the Canes acquiring him as revenge to bed. As if Montreal is that relevant.

They tried to trade for him. They proceeded to sign him to an offer sheet, They made a long-term commitment to him afterwards. Clearly, they see a lot in the player.

Or they are prideful and just won't take the L. He's not devoided of talent but they sign him for 8 years and he might not get higher than the fourth line.

Reactions: Riddum

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good gamble for the Canes. Need to see the structure though, expecting some type of buy-out protection.

Edit: Pretty flat structure, no bonuses, great for Canes, risky for Kotkaniemi.
He can be bought out at 1/3 of his salary up age 26 per the cba. Think the cba reads players 26 and under so since he has a July birthday and turns 22 this year they upwards of 5 seasons to make that call. So if it’s straight salary not horrible for Carolina to get out of it at like $800k of dead cap times double the number of years they buy out.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
in 3-4 years, if he is the 2C, this is a steal.

if he is the 3C, that's still $1.18 million less than Jordan Staal, and with the cap rising i'll say it is still a win.

if he isn't ready/able for either of those, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the buyout is still only 1/3.

during that 3-4 years while we find out, if he is what makes or breaks the canes then they have bigger issues to address.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Yes, i think everyone's been expecting this for the past 4 seasons. But in reality, he didn't improve his offensive production. The Canes are gambling on it though and it could pay off in a few years.

4 seasons ago he was 17 yrs old.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
He can be bought out at 1/3 of his salary up age 26 per the cba. Think the cba reads players 26 and under so since he has a July birthday and turns 22 this year they upwards of 5 seasons to make that call. So if it’s straight salary not horrible for Carolina to get out of it at like $800k of dead cap times double the number of years they buy out.
I know, that is exactly why I was expecting either a front loaded contract, or some signing bonuses, to increase the amount of guaranteed money. I'm a bit surprised he signed with such a risky structure. But it's still probably more than he would have got as an UFA (both in tern and guaranteed money).

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Or they are prideful and just won't take the L
We're talking about the people that let Ferland walk in free agency, traded Fox to NYR rather than try and force the issue, and didn't even bother giving Dougie Hamilton a competitive offer after giving up Lindholm and Hanifin for them?

The current management group are many things. Determined to prove they "won" a transaction isn't one of them. It's the opposite, they dgaf.

They traded Nedeljkovic, their Calder nominated in house developed goalie, rather than let him get to arbitration for a 3rd- and got endlessly roasted in hockey media and on this web zone.

This isn't hard. Trocheck is likely gone. That means the 2nd line center is open. If JK can step into it, you have a long term #2 signed to a long term team friendly deal. If not, you can buy him out for 800k a year.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Could look like a steal down the road but right now he's definitely not worth that much. Who knows if he ever will be.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Guess which fandom have seen the player the most knowing his weaknesses and qualities? Montreal fans.
Yep, playing for your trash club, GM and coach.

This is a good deal for #3C quality player IF Kotkaniemi is just that. If he becomes their #2C then it's insanely good. I hope in a year or two habs fans move on as they just have nothing of value to say anymore.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Could look like a steal down the road but right now he's definitely not worth that much. Who knows if he ever will be.
Id say the bet he is worth that in a few seasons (even if you locked the cap, just for arguments sake) is at a solid 75/25

My argument has always been against signing someone that long of term who you plan to be in your bottom-6 while contending. 3C is certainly important but a slight gamble on a player who I think is better at wing is.. interesting to me

Im sure it wont end up 'badly' for Carolina, thats for sure. Just may be a nuisance if hes an okay 3C and they draft better

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The one thing more annoying than Habs fans bitching about this saga are the Canes fans complaining about Habs fans. The entire thing made everyone look like a bunch of high schoolers, starting with the franchises themselves all the way down to the folks on HFBoards.

I'm glad it's over. Hopefully.

Reactions: japhi

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Seems like a good deal. Only time will tell, but obviously, the Canes are quite high on the kid.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yep, playing for your trash club, GM and coach.

This is a good deal for #3C quality player IF Kotkaniemi is just that. If he becomes their #2C then it's insanely good. I hope in a year or two habs fans move on as they just have nothing of value to say anymore.
Wouldn’t call Julien a trash coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad