Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs extension with Hurricanes (8 years, $4.82M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Admit I am surprised less by the money than by him getting 8 years....ok then. I don't even think he has played up to the level of $4.8M, or at least not consistently in Montreal or Carolina.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Kotkaniemi is 21 and has made massive strides in Carolina this year and isn't done developing yet. Much rather than Kotkaniemi at 4.8 mil than Dvorak at 4.45 mil.
I think this is a good deal and good gamble from the Canes. But not sure where the massive strides you mention are coming from. I've watched approx 20 games of his with the Canes, and 100+ when he was a Hab, and he is basically the same player. Awkward stride, good nose around the net, inconsistent in the D zone and requires sheltered minutes. No PK time, some production on the PP.

I think another summer will do him well, and again I do this deal if I'm any GM in the league, but he is trending to his RC year production.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think this is a good deal and good gamble from the Canes. But not sure where the massive strides you mention are coming from. I've watched approx 20 games of his with the Canes, and 100+ when he was a Hab, and he is basically the same player. Awkward stride, good nose around the net, inconsistent in the D zone and requires sheltered minutes. No PK time, some production on the PP.

I think another summer will do him well, and again I do this deal if I'm any GM in the league, but he is trending to his RC year production.
Then you watched him play with plugs. How is he supposed to show what he can do?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Kotkaniemi is getting 4th line minutes (avg 12:01 ice time) and has scored 23 points this year.

A total of zero other players in the entire league that have gotten less average ice time have more points than him (only Tomasino is tied with 23 points as well).

Also he's 21 years old, so there is still time for development and this contract covers age 22-29 seasons, which should include his core years of production.

Any 8-year contract has risk, but I think this is a very good gamble from Carolina to project that he will be at least a serviceable 2nd line center for a good part of his contract, maybe as early as next year, and he has the potential to be more than that. Even if he underperforms, he's already shown to be a good bottom-6 centre and $4.82M for a 3rd line centre wouldn't cripple the Canes cap if that were the case.

As for Kotkaniemi, he gets a guaranteed >$38 million... to play for a good team that wants him. Hard to say no to that.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Carolina taking a good gamble. KK will probably settle in nicely on the 2nd line, with potential for 1st line.

Of course Montreal fans think it's a stupid move.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
This could be very bad, very good or just ok. I will get back to you in 4 years.
1647891749875.png

That is why it's a really low risk signature.
After 4 years, he can be bought out for peanuts.
Low risk high rewards for the Canes

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If the Habs had signed him to this deal, I think I would have been fine with it. It's not going to pay dividends for another 3 years at least though

It could easily pay off next year. It's unlikely they re-sign Trocheck, the 2 spot is wide open and there isn't anyone to replace him other than JK. He could get 40+ ES points next year playing with Svechnikov/Necas/Jarvis.

Reactions: DaveG

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
What do I win? (below is from like three weeks ago):

Recent second and third line forwards who signed for 7 or 8 years as RFAs:
  • Alex Killorn... $4.45m x 8y when the cap was at $71.5m
  • Tyler Johnson... $5m x 7y when the cap was at $73m
  • Viktor Arvidsson... $4.25m x 7y when the cap was at $73m
  • Alex Tuch... $4.75m x 7y when the cap was at 79.5m
  • Colton Sissons... $2.9m x 7y when the cap was at $81.5m
Cap goes up to $82.5m, figure that they see Kotkaniemi as Staal's heir at 2C, so after some arbitrary math, I'll guess we'll end up within a couple hundred thousand dollars AAV of either
$4.75m x 8y
$5.4m x 7y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA