Confirmed Trade: [CAR/BUF] Jeff Skinner for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd and 6th, and Cliff Pu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's it? Wish the oilers would've matched it.

Couldn’t have afforded him. Cap situation basically means we’re stuck until we can offload Sekera or Lucic.

That’s a miserable return for Skinner though. Pu looks like he’s plateaued and maybe has third line upside.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That is one of the most lopsided trades I have ever seen. Oh my god.

Skinner is a bonafide first liner. And Carolina didn't get a roster player, top prospect, or first round pick for him.

quantity for Quality--to a point

how the sabres were able to keep all 3 of their first rounders for 2019 is impressive

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
For Buffalo I'm confused how this aligns with the ROR trade in terms of direction.

Wonder if they think they can flip Skinner at the deadline for a better return.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
seems like a good deal for both teams.

The Sabres had to include a contract as they sat at 48 still have to sign Reinhart.

The Canes will like Pu, he has a good package of size, skill and skating and the 3 picks are all balanced out.

The Sabres get a proven goal scorer to play with their skilled centers.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
If this is all Carolina got for Skinner, I can't imagine what the offers for Pacioretty were out there. XD

Now I REALLY hope the Ducks don't move Silf. I was originally of the belief that if the return is right, he might be moved but the interest apparently isn't there right now. I'll happily keep Silf over a return like this...

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Anyone else have a feeling Pacioretty will be traded soon? Maybe another team in on Skinner dropped out because they're close to a deal for Pacioretty or someone else. This has to hurt his value quite a bit.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't really get why Buffalo would do this, unless they are sure they can keep Skinner around. But good for Skinner, he will get to play with Eichel in his contract year, should set himself up for a big pay day.
Wondering why Buffalo would do this? Skinner as a rental for a team needing scoring help at the deadline after playing with Jack for 2/3 of a season could return a hell of a lot more than Buffalo just gave up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good trade for Sabres. Don’t know what the Canes are thinking unless it’s purely cutting salary. They already have enough trouble scoring goals.

MTL has to be worried about the scoring winger market is they are still intent on trading Patches.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So after years of him being “damaged goods” and “one hit away”... now Skinner is “very good” and a “bonafide first liner”. Heh.

The truth is always in between; there are always going to be some homers and there are always going to be some haters.

Had you made a poll on this website asking Skinner’s value, before he was traded, the average answer would have undoubtedly been higher than Cliff Pu, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Crazy to think Buffalo supposedly “lost” the Kane trade, yet they gave up less for Jeff Skinner (a superior player) than they received in exchange for Kane.

Reactions: iSophagus

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don’t get this league at all. I don’t understand how not a single team couldn’t offer more than that. I don’t get why Carolina would trade him for that return. I don’t get how there could be a message to the Carolina locker room other than they’re giving up on the season before it even starts. I don’t understand how the status of an extension lowers his value this much when we see way worse players go for way more every year (Gaustad, Reaves, Shaw, etc). I really don’t get how Buffalo is the one team interested in acquiring a top six rental.

This is incredibly stupid. This league is stupid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Buffalo is not a good team. The 2019 2nd will be high. There shouldn't be a huge difference between say Pittsburgh's 1st and that pick.

Still, I'm a disappointed fan. I would have been willing to forgo that type of return for the 1 year of Skinner. It's time to move on from asset accumulation mode. I guess the FO disagrees.

Skinner-Eichel-Sheary
Berglund-Mittelstadt-Reinhart

Good top six, and have Dahlin coming in. If all goes right they could have three firsts at the draft too. They could surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad