Post-Game Talk: Caps wake up in the 3rd win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
So, you would choose to dress a guy that doesn’t get points, has bad underlying numbers, doesn’t hit, isn’t fast, isn’t a veteran, but is good at faceoffs? Ok, no thanks

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The success we have had is in no way attributable to a line of AjF-Tiloninato- Barron or with Gus. Those guys were playing 8 mins a night, not scoring and had bad underlying numbers.

The success was because the lines playing all the minutes were locked into two way hockey, playing with skill and outplaying the opposition. We had Villardi, Perfetti, Scheif, Ehlers, Names all playing well in the top 6
I disagree. Jets need that 4th line as an energy line to turn the momentum in their favour. As long as the other team does not score on the 4th line it's a success. Get the puck deep, cycle, and try to get a shot on net to at least freeze the play in the opponents end.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
WTF ... Jets go on a losing streak and the site breaks down.
I can't get on the site with my iphone and even the laptop is slow as hell on here hopefully the Jets can start winning to fix this problem.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
In hindsight we needed that upgrade on 2nd pairing D way more than another forward. Tanev there to push down Pionk would look so good right now.

A lot of this stems from what to me looks like the a disagreement between the GM and the Coach and Coach getting his way at every step. The GM said to start off the season that Perfetti would get a chance to run as the 2C, yet that happened for like 3 games and the coach never went back to it again. Chevy keeps talking about Heinola every chance he gets yet he is noway near the lineup. I wonder if Cole had been given a real run at 2C then maybe we could have had an internal solution for that role and use that asset to acquire Tanev instead.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
In hindsight we needed that upgrade on 2nd pairing D way more than another forward. Tanev there to push down Pionk would look so good right now.

A lot of this stems from what to me looks like the a disagreement between the GM and the Coach and Coach getting his way at every step. The GM said to start off the season that Perfetti would get a chance to run as the 2C, yet that happened for like 3 games and the coach never went back to it again. Chevy keeps talking about Heinola every chance he gets yet he is noway near the lineup. I wonder if Cole had been given a real run at 2C then maybe we could have had an internal solution for that role and use that asset to acquire Tanev instead.
I think their initial plan was to have Cole grow into the 2C role over the course of the year but when Vilardi went down, they moved him to the wing so he could focus more on putting up points and take some of the defensive responsibility of playing centre off his plate. They did the same thing with my daughter last year in her first year playing U Sport.

I think with heinola, the timing of both his injury and recovery were terrible. By the time he came back, the team had established themselves as a contender and it was tough to work him in

For what it's worth, the org has a say in coaching decisions. In 2017 I had a chance to sit down with Jamie Kompon for a few beers and I got to pick his brain a bit about the team, etc. He was very open about the fact that management had given the coaching staff a "play the kids" mandate. That's the year they sent pavs down, etc. At rhe end of the day, if a coach and GM don't see eye to eye on player deployment, the GM will win 100% of the time

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I disagree. Jets need that 4th line as an energy line to turn the momentum in their favour. As long as the other team does not score on the 4th line it's a success. Get the puck deep, cycle, and try to get a shot on net to at least freeze the play in the opponents end.
I respect that, but think it is an outdated approach to some extent. 4th lines that play 8 mins, dump it in and hit, are not affective, and don't win you games.

IMO better to have a 4th line of Iafallo/Names/Perfetti that would win its match ups and score. They were very successful as the 2nd line for a long stretch during the teams most succesful stretch of the season playing against top pairings and lines. No reason they couldn't do that agains other teams 4th lines and third pairings now.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think their initial plan was to have Cole grow into the 2C role over the course of the year but when Vilardi went down, they moved him to the wing so he could focus more on putting up points and take some of the defensive responsibility of playing centre off his plate. They did the same thing with my daughter last year in her first year playing U Sport.

I think with heinola, the timing of both his injury and recovery were terrible. By the time he came back, the team had established themselves as a contender and it was tough to work him in

For what it's worth, the org has a say in coaching decisions. In 2017 I had a chance to sit down with Jamie Kompon for a few beers and I got to pick his brain a bit about the team, etc. He was very open about the fact that management had given the coaching staff a "play the kids" mandate. That's the year they sent pavs down, etc. At rhe end of the day, if a coach and GM don't see eye to eye on player deployment, the GM will win 100% of the time

I think this is likely pretty close to what happened. But imo if you have a plan you shouldn't deviate that quickly due to an injury.

I think this org needs to be a bit more steadfast in its long term plans and not be as quick to deviate due to an injurybor two. There is always going to be injuries, there is never going to be a perfect situation to develop a player in a spot.

Imo they panicked and pulled the plug too quickly. Ditto for overspending to build a whole new second line 3/4 through the year imo. They really should have focused on getting what was a real gold looking second line rhe first half back on track.

Ville unfortunately got injured and then no spots opened up for him.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think this is likely pretty close to what happened. But imo if you have a plan you shouldn't deviate that quickly due to an injury.

I think this org needs to be a bit more steadfast in its long term plans and not be as quick to deviate due to an injurybor two. There is always going to be injuries, there is never going to be a perfect situation to develop a player in a spot.
The team also went 1-2 in those first three games and Bones panicked and deviated from the plan.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The team also went 1-2 in those first three games and Bones panicked and deviated from the plan.

No doubt that played a big role in it as well. I hope if Bones isn't back that management takes more of a hands on approach next year.

I'd like to see another circa 16-17 directive to integrate and grow some of our kids. If this year's core can't get it done then that is likely the only shot we have to push things forward.

Reactions: NA Hockey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I respect that, but think it is an outdated approach to some extent. 4th lines that play 8 mins, dump it in and hit, are not affective, and don't win you games.

IMO better to have a 4th line of Iafallo/Names/Perfetti that would win its match ups and score. They were very successful as the 2nd line for a long stretch during the teams most succesful stretch of the season playing against top pairings and lines. No reason they couldn't do that agains other teams 4th lines and third pairings now.

Why are we even talking about the fourth line. It's the top 6 that have been the issue lately. The fourth line has done its job the last member of games. Grinding/possesion doesn't mean a thing when they get 8 minutes while the top 6 gets shredded for half the game.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Imo they panicked and pulled the plug too quickly. Ditto for overspending to build a whole new second line 3/4 through the year imo. They really should have focused on getting what was a real gold looking second line rhe first half back on track.

Ville unfortunately got injured and then no spots opened up for him.
Before the Monahan trade this team was having a tough time scoring and our PP was absolutely awful , i can understand why Chevy made that trade.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Before the Monahan trade this team was having a tough time scoring and our PP was absolutely awful , i can understand why Chevy made that trade.

I expected them to add another top 6 player so I was ok with a move or two. Bur they elected to tear down what had worked so well the first half and build something completely new for line 2. That might have been fine had they elected to go with two second lines and reunited Namestnikov Perfetti and Iafallo but they seem to have abandoned that idea for a traditional bottom 6 approach.

Now imo most of our forward core is a mess imo. Our team d is largely in shambles and we are still trying to find combos that work. Sometimes you can make too any changes and disrupt chemistry.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
No doubt that played a big role in it as well. I hope if Bones isn't back that management takes more of a hands on approach next year.

I'd like to see another circa 16-17 directive to integrate and grow some of our kids. If this year's core can't get it done then that is likely the only shot we have to push things forward.
There is a good chance neither Monahan or Spicolli are back next year if we don't have a good playoffs and that will probably happen no matter who is coaching next year. This season though other than Perfetti we didn't really have any young players to integrate into the lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a good chance neither Monahan or Spicolli are back next year if we don't have a good playoffs and that will probably happen no matter who is coaching next year. This season though other than Perfetti we didn't really have any young players to integrate into the lineup.

Yeah, talking about next year for youth integration. We should have Ville and McGroarty ready to integrate and then Lambert and maybe Solomonsson the year after.

I was more talking about they maybe should have shown more patience with the Perfetti center experiment and some more patience with some of our players that had done extremely well the first half.

Anyhow we have the team we have and they need to figure it out. Maybe it's time to try a different top 9 approach. Try three scoring lines.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I expected them to add another top 6 player so I was ok with a move or two. Bur they elected to tear down what had worked so well the first half and build something completely new for line 2. That might have been fine had they elected to go with two second lines and reunited Namestnikov Perfetti and Iafallo but they seem to have abandoned that idea for a traditional bottom 6 approach.

Now imo most of our forward core is a mess imo. Our team d is largely in shambles and we are still trying to find combos that work. Sometimes you can make too any changes and disrupt chemistry.
I agree and that vaunted 3rd Lowry line has gone cold , i would like Neo moved up to the 1st line with Scheifele and Ehlers, i think that could be a very good line. But then again what the hell do i know. :laugh:

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I've been having problems logging on for months. A lot of times, I have to clear my cache/history before I can get in. And the ads. Continually blocking my view of the screen while typing. Yikes! And when I tried an ad blocker, which made the site much better, I got messages that I should not use a blocker, Yada Yada. But I do appreciate the discussions about the Jets so I hang around.
Instead of Chrome I'm using Brave Browser for Android when browsing HFBoards.
Edit:... and getting better results.

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

Monahan needs to get Hayes'd so we can try Perfetti Namest Toffoli with Ehlers back on line 1 imo.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think if the Jets flame out in the first round there will be changes that include integrating prospects, don't expect either Monahan or Toffoli back and a core player or two being traded. Lots of decision to be made about the top six D men too. Lets hope we see an uptick in the play heading into the playoffs and we get into the second round after that anything can happen.

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah I dunno...there's always some excuse. It just seems like it's been rare for the team to put together 3 solid periods since the ASB no matter how many days rest they've had.
Why do you think that is? At this point in think it may be more worthwhile to discuss reasons for their inconsistent and lackluster play rather than just bitching about it (that's not directed at you)

Some of the poor play seems to be mental, some seems to be lack of effort at times. But again, why? I find it hard to believe that the team as a whole just doesn't give a f***. I base that on the fact that they DID give a f*** for such a long period of time. What could have happened to change that?

There could be multiple causes, but I don't think it's a lack of talent

Reactions: JetsUK and Jets 31

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

You were literally the guy bashing Names as not good enough for 2C for most of the season... bones was playing them 12-13 mins a game... and now it was working well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad