Post-Game Talk: Caps wake up in the 3rd win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Even if you ignore wins and losses, the team has looked mediocre by the eye-test for 25 games plus.

The stats back it up, the wins and losses back it up.

If something doesn't change to get back to the way they were playing early in the season I don't think we have much of a chance. Good thing is we know it is possible.

Agreed. There have been a lot of excuses made for them over that time, but I think "they just aren't good enough when the games get tougher" is starting to look like the most logical explanation, especially given evidence of prior seasons.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Jets are the real pretenders, wouldn’t surprise me if they finish 4th in the Central!

Arniel showing everyone why his lone stint as a head coach back in 2011 was his last!

Helly has picked a fine time to turn to crap!

Lots of problems trying to log into HFBoards this afternoon and evening until I finally just gave up!
Too bad you kept trying! 😳

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets are the real pretenders, wouldn’t surprise me if they finish 4th in the Central!

Arniel showing everyone why his lone stint as a head coach back in 2011 was his last!

Lots of problems trying to log into HFBoards this afternoon and evening until I finally just gave up!
I realize that Arneil is the heir apparent, but I dearly hope that Chevy and Chipman reconsider. Especially with so many good coaches on the market.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Depends when and if Bones comes back, no real coaching since he left, Arniel pretty much proving he isn’t up to the job!
I don't know, Arniel had a very good record earlier in the season when Bowness was away and for all we know the lineups , who's playing was all Bowness telling Arniel what he wanted.

Reactions: hn777 and 10Ducky10

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's a byproduct of Rick Bowness' game systems. Don't score goals and be tight defensively.
I disagree.

This is a meme that goes around a lot. The Jets are creating plenty but they aren't bearing down on their chances.

If we want to win in the playoffs we need to prevent first and foremost. This team has enough elite offence to score enough to win.

If Bones was really this defense at the expense of offense guy no way would our defense be so active. We'd send one forecheck in and then clog the neutral zone.

Our real problem is special teams. I do think both of them have looked much better in the back half of the season but we haven't gotten the results.

I still think this team is ready to compete in the playoffs. We have a lot of veterans with experience, and don't think motivation will be a problem.

If it is, I'll be the first in line to vote for a seismic shift in the makeup of this team in July.

This team has a really low floor. Like it the whole team isn’t going it’s super over.
So like every team in the league

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't know, Arniel had a very good record earlier in the season when Bowness was away and for all we know the lineups , who's playing was all Bowness telling Arniel what he wanted.
Main problems right now
- Connor does not back check AT ALL and is constantly cheating for points - that he's not really getting... in games where Scheif also doesn't back check - this trickles through the lineup and the system completely falls apart
- The team views Pionk like he's the shutdown McDavid guy from the bubble year... and we play him in ALL critical situations but he's absolutely lost out there - he costs us at least one goal each game - and he hasn't generated offence in years now.
- This whole 'let's play guys to be fair' thing is ridiculous. The team had its best success with Ehlers/Scheifele on the top line and a high energy forecheck on our fourth line... so what do we do - constantly field a lineup that doesn't maximize our strengths in the 'hopes' that Connor/Scheif outscore opponents and that Perfetti becomes the first rounder TNSE wants

If the team can sit Samberg for maintenance, how the fk are they leaving Pionk on second pairing... only answer is that we have to show we didn't get hosed on the Trouba trade.

The Jets are fielding a lineup that doesn't suit their system - Perfetti is not a forechecker, Barron is play C while Gus sits with a 55% FO rate, we have a steady stream of spinal tap drummers on the top line trying to make Connor/Scheif 'succeed' - makes no sense.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes, until the third, then looked gassed and the Capitals...capitalized
I think you're running on adrenaline, especially with the Jets recent schedule.

The Caps score a goal on a questionable penalty call right at the end after a good kill, and then Helle let's a soul crushing softy in and whatever fumes they were running on evaporated.

We really lost that game in the second when we couldn't manage a goal in our 2 pp opportunities.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Main problems right now
- Connor does not back check AT ALL and is constantly cheating for points - that he's not really getting... in games where Scheif also doesn't back check - this trickles through the lineup and the system completely falls apart
- The team views Pionk like he's the shutdown McDavid guy from the bubble year... and we play him in ALL critical situations but he's absolutely lost out there - he costs us at least one goal each game - and he hasn't generated offence in years now.
- This whole 'let's play guys to be fair' thing is ridiculous. The team had its best success with Ehlers/Scheifele on the top line and a high energy forecheck on our fourth line... so what do we do - constantly field a lineup that doesn't maximize our strengths in the 'hopes' that Connor/Scheif outscore opponents and that Perfetti becomes the first rounder TNSE wants

If the team can sit Samberg for maintenance, how the fk are they leaving Pionk on second pairing... only answer is that we have to show we didn't get hosed on the Trouba trade.

The Jets are fielding a lineup that doesn't suit their system - Perfetti is not a forechecker, Barron is play C while Gus sits with a 55% FO rate, we have a steady stream of spinal tap drummers on the top line trying to make Connor/Scheif 'succeed' - makes no sense.
Would give this post a second like if I could!

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I disagree.

This is a meme that goes around a lot. The Jets are creating plenty but they aren't bearing down on their chances.

If we want to win in the playoffs we need to prevent first and foremost. This team has enough elite offence to score enough to win.

If Bones was really this defense at the expense of offense guy no way would our defense be so active. We'd send one forecheck in and then clog the neutral zone.

Our real problem is special teams. I do think both of them have looked much better in the back half of the season but we haven't gotten the results.

I still think this team is ready to compete in the playoffs. We have a lot of veterans with experience, and don't think motivation will be a problem.

If it is, I'll be the first in line to vote for a seismic shift in the makeup of this team in July.

Earlier in the season, Bones was playing a high pressure 2-1-2 system - with the back three clogging up the neutral zone... for quite some time, I've only seen one forechecker going in unless its the fourth line.

Again, we have moved away from rolling four lines, crashing the net and secondary support - now when our D engage, there may or may not be a forward covering - if the forward on the blue line is Connor then its basically like no one is there

Reactions: hn777 and ecolad

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
With 11 games left in the season ... if you have to do line blending at this time of year you are not qualified to be a coach.
What a gong show seriously how are players suppose to built chemistry if you are always juggling the lines.
Time to trade or draft players who can finish their checks along with big tough defencemen to box out opposing players and getting a center who can win draws will help too.
That's not fair. We added 2 players at the deadline and have had key players out for extended periods.

I'd say now is exactly the time to mix up the lines to see if you can find some chemistry. At least then if you're struggling to score in the playoffs you have some options you've tried before.

Fans are definitely more focused on winning the division than the team. Sure, you want to to reap the benefits but right now you can only be concerned about how you're playing the game. The regular season isn't the goal, it's the playoffs.

I really wish we'd drop down to a 70 game season. That would allow for more rest and practice, and a better product. It would also help with injury prevention and allow for an easier integration of Olympics and world cup.

Finally, less games would equal more demand.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I disagree.

I appreciate your optimism but I'm not so sure they'll be ready to compete come the playoffs. In my opinion, there are several issues with the team but one of the major ones is coaching "continuity". This is Bowness' second extended absence this year and as much as Arniel may be his "guy", is he able to effectively instill and maintain Bowness' systems for the players? I don't know of course but perhaps the players are getting mixed messages and are "confused". (Nobody said that these guys were rocket scientists.)

Reactions: hn777

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

I've been having problems logging on for months. A lot of times, I have to clear my cache/history before I can get in. And the ads. Continually blocking my view of the screen while typing. Yikes! And when I tried an ad blocker, which made the site much better, I got messages that I should not use a blocker, Yada Yada. But I do appreciate the discussions about the Jets so I hang around.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That's not fair. We added 2 players at the deadline and have had key players out for extended periods.

I'd say now is exactly the time to mix up the lines to see if you can find some chemistry. At least then if you're struggling to score in the playoffs you have some options you've tried before.

Fans are definitely more focused on winning the division than the team. Sure, you want to to reap the benefits but right now you can only be concerned about how you're playing the game. The regular season isn't the goal, it's the playoffs.

I really wish we'd drop down to a 70 game season. That would allow for more rest and practice, and a better product. It would also help with injury prevention and allow for an easier integration of Olympics and world cup.

Finally, less games would equal more demand.
Most teams - especially the ones heading into the playoffs in a strength position are not trying to find 'chemistry' on their top line... they might juggle their third line or have upgraded 2C, but the level at which the Jets are tinkering is scary.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Main problems right now

I agree with a lot of this post, but one place I disagree is playing Gus at the expense of skill. That is not the answer to anything, no matter what system you run. He has 4 points in 35 games this year, and 3 goals and 11 points in 109 career games. His corsi % this year ranks 22nd on the team, xG% is 23rd on the team. Also, he only has 15 hits total in 35 games this year and has been hit 30 times, so not exactly a big forechecker, punisher or board guy. Other than a good faceoff % there is no reason he should be in the lineup. The desire to have a 4th line that doesn't play with skill, or score and not make plays is antiquated.

"This whole 'let's play guys to be fair' thing is ridiculous. The team had its best success with Ehlers/Scheifele on the top line and a high energy forecheck on our fourth line... so what do we do - constantly field a lineup that doesn't maximize our strengths in the 'hopes' that Connor/Scheif outscore opponents and that Perfetti becomes the first rounder TNSE wants"

The team had it's best success when, Connor was out, Perfetti was in the top 6 six, Scheif was with Ehlers, Gus was not in the lineup

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Most teams - especially the ones heading into the playoffs in a strength position are not trying to find 'chemistry' on their top line... they might juggle their third line or have upgraded 2C, but the level at which the Jets are tinkering is scary.
I agree -
The message seems to be lost at this point - rather than tinker, coaching needs to get them back on message - defense first and stop messing with the lines.
This last game was a prime example - coaching decides we need more scoring going into the third so they throw 55/81 back together.
Now you have a new message for 55/81 - you two are our best scoring forwards so get out there and score. It's no surprise that they shift to offense and the D slips - they are making adjustments to support the coaching decision - and the defensive game plan is lost.

Reactions: Jets 31

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I've been having problems logging on for months. A lot of times, I have to clear my cache/history before I can get in. And the ads. Continually blocking my view of the screen while typing. Yikes! And when I tried an ad blocker, which made the site much better, I got messages that I should not use a blocker, Yada Yada. But I do appreciate the discussions about the Jets so I hang around.
Issues started about a year and a half ago and there were no issues the previous decade I spent here!

Keep having pages refresh and losing the post I was typing, getting close to the point where I pack this site in!

And NO, not paying for anything here, why should I with the constant ads!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I agree with a lot of this post, but one place I disagree is playing Gus at the expense of skill. That is not the answer to anything, no matter what system you run. He has 4 points in 35 games this year, and 3 goals and 11 points in 109 career games. His corsi % this year ranks 22nd on the team, xG% is 23rd on the team. Also, he only has 15 hits total in 35 games this year and has been hit 30 times, so not exactly a big forechecker, punisher or board guy. Other than a good faceoff % there is no reason he should be in the lineup. The desire to have a 4th line that doesn't play with skill, or score and not make plays is antiquated.

"This whole 'let's play guys to be fair' thing is ridiculous. The team had its best success with Ehlers/Scheifele on the top line and a high energy forecheck on our fourth line... so what do we do - constantly field a lineup that doesn't maximize our strengths in the 'hopes' that Connor/Scheif outscore opponents and that Perfetti becomes the first rounder TNSE wants"

The team had it's best success when, Connor was out, Perfetti was in the top 6 six, Scheif was with Ehlers, Gus was not in the lineup
Our fourth line was AJF-Toninato-Barron at that time. Basically the same style of players as Gus.

Skill is great but. Bones system thrives with a hard forecheck that cycles the puck deep - 4th line tires out their opposition by controlling the play and then the 1st line comes over the boards to capitalize... that's the way it was working.

Im not a perfetti hater but he just doesn't not have the speed to put teams back on their heels... the combo of BOTH him and Names/Iafallo on the fourth line mean that we will never create the chaos that brought us success.

If it was me, I'd have AJF-Gus-Barron as our 4th with Iafallo and Perfetti in the PB - that being said, if Perfetti was playing, I'd have him at 2LW with Monahan and Toffoli - and play them 13 mins a game as your 'possession' line if theres such a thing.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Our fourth line was AJF-Toninato-Barron at that time. Basically the same style of players as Gus.

Skill is great but. Bones system thrives with a hard forecheck that cycles the puck deep - 4th line tires out their opposition by controlling the play and then the 1st line comes over the boards to capitalize... that's the way it was working.

Im not a perfetti hater but he just doesn't not have the speed to put teams back on their heels... the combo of BOTH him and Names/Iafallo on the fourth line mean that we will never create the chaos that brought us success.

If it was me, I'd have AJF-Gus-Barron as our 4th with Iafallo and Perfetti in the PB - that being said, if Perfetti was playing, I'd have him at 2LW with Monahan and Toffoli - and play them 13 mins a game as your 'possession' line if theres such a thing.
The success we have had is in no way attributable to a line of AjF-Tiloninato- Barron or with Gus. Those guys were playing 8 mins a night, not scoring and had bad underlying numbers.

The success was because the lines playing all the minutes were locked into two way hockey, playing with skill and outplaying the opposition. We had Villardi, Perfetti, Scheif, Ehlers, Names all playing well in the top 6

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think a big part of it is just exhaustion

That's 13 games in 24 days with 2 back to backs and only one 2 day break

To give a little context, Dallas had a stretch in February when they played 13 games in 23 days. They won 4 of their first five but only finished with 6 wins out of those 13 games

We were 4-2 in the at the start of the month before falling off
Yeah I dunno...there's always some excuse. It just seems like it's been rare for the team to put together 3 solid periods since the ASB no matter how many days rest they've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad