Post-Game Talk: Caps wake up in the 3rd win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You are correct faceoffs are important but the stats guys what to keep their XGF jobs.
Isles were only 43% on faceoffs today against the Devils and lost 4-0 compare to 56% vs the Jets and won 6-3 the day before.
How many goals have we seen scored on the Jets from the faceoffs in these 3 games ... at least one the first goal in every game.
I mean, yesterday we were scored on off a face-off that we won.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Exactly faceoffs are important especially when you are on the PPs or PKs and the Jets got kill in that department in this losing streak.
I like to think of it this way...

FaceOFFS don't matter as much as we think they maybe should

But a faceOFF can be hugely important and decide the game

Reactions: kanadalainen

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I like to think of it this way...

FaceOFFS don't matter as much as we think they maybe should

But a faceOFF can be hugely important and decide the game
Every face off you lose on a PP you lose at least 15 seconds even Bones mentioned it.
Look at all the top PP teams in the league all of them have one thing in common … winning face offs.
Yes you don’t score a lot of goals right from the face off but winning face offs leads to possession and having possession leads to goals.
The faceoffs at center unless its OT and the blueline are not that important and they get lumped in to make it out like faceoffs are not that important and that's the problem with FO stats.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
There is no doubt that we were much better as a team when Connor was out. The slide coincided with his return, but we can’t necessarily jump to the conclusion that it’s fully related.
What we do know is that this team is not as good defensively with Connor in the lineup.
I made an effort today to just watch Connor in the offensive zone today to really get a feel for how he positions himself and the effort he puts in.
Honestly, it was really ugly.
His play is so bad it begs the question: is he trying to play his way out of here?
He put the bare minimum effort in the dzone , is lost on the pp and for this he gets more ice time than most.
I would like to see him sit a game or two. I know it won't happen but he deserves it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Exactly faceoffs are important especially when you are on the PPs or PKs and the Jets got kill in that department in this losing streak.
Sorry I missed a word there, what I meant was that the Clutterbuck goal that you're referencing as an example of the importance of faceoffs was a face-off that we won.

Reactions: Duke749 and Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It sucks because this team was clearly capable of playing good hockey - they've just stopped doing it for some reason.
I think a big part of it is just exhaustion

That's 13 games in 24 days with 2 back to backs and only one 2 day break

To give a little context, Dallas had a stretch in February when they played 13 games in 23 days. They won 4 of their first five but only finished with 6 wins out of those 13 games

We were 4-2 in the at the start of the month before falling off

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It sucks because this team was clearly capable of playing good hockey - they've just stopped doing it for some reason.
We had lines that were dominating together and then the second Connor came back the top 6 was dismantled and neither line was ever revisited. Also Pionk stopped playing the best hockey of his career and is a liability again. Samberg and Schmidt are struggling, maybe lost their groove being in and out of the lineup. Just a few thoughts.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

To give a little context, Dallas had a stretch in February when they played 13 games in 23 days. They won 4 of their first five but only finished with 6 wins out of those 13 games

Since we’ve seen this movie several times before and it’s always the same ending - (Hot first half and lousy second half) why don’t we try something different this year? Why don’t we sit a whole bunch of our players over the next dozen games and give them a long rest. Bring them back for the last couple games. If we play so well in the first half of the year with a rested crew, wouldn’t it stand to reason that a rested crew would do quite well in the playoffs? Maybe this year we forget about trying to limp our way into a better playoff spot, and just concentrate on having a rested team to play whoever we end up playing.
You know what they say about the definition of insanity?

Reactions: hn777 and Buffdog

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It coincided with wheelers injury... maybe he's on the phone with scheif and connor each night haha

• Haha
Reactions: Gm0ney

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
Being a fan of what has to be the most inconsistent team in the league is beyond frustrating. You literally can't tell if they are a top contending team or not because of how inconsistent they are. Just when you think they are, they prove you wrong. Chevy has tried everything but it seems no matter who we add, we simply can't be consistent in our play for the entire regular season. Honestly, what will it take?

If they make the playoffs, I don't see them making it past the first round.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The games in hand were long touted as an advantage the team had going into the last part of the season but that means more games in a short time span against teams who are desperate for points. Not to totally excuse them but that, and the flu, have to have played a major role.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The games in hand were long touted as an advantage the team had going into the last part of the season but that means more games in a short time span against teams who are desperate for points. Not to totally excuse them but that, and the flu, have to have played a major role.
Yup. We made hay when the sun was shining, as they say

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets are the real pretenders, wouldn’t surprise me if they finish 4th in the Central!

Arniel showing everyone why his lone stint as a head coach back in 2011 was his last!

Helly has picked a fine time to turn to crap!

Lots of problems trying to log into HFBoards this afternoon and evening until I finally just gave up!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They played better today but not much to gain from moral victories after they took off the last two games. Well not as meteoric a fall as last year or the year before, the Jets haven’t been great in the second half of the season again.

Reactions: hn777 and jungles

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
When Connor was hurt we had Vilardi playing and he was producing and we were playing very well. Then Connor came back and Vilardi got hurt again and we kinda stopped playing as well. This has been a very up and down season so far, hopefully Vilardi gets back for the playoffs and we get back to how we were playing.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets are the real pretenders, wouldn’t surprise me if they finish 4th in the Central!

Arniel showing everyone why his lone stint as a head coach back in 2011 was his last!

Helly has picked a fine time to turn to crap!

Lots of problems trying to log into HFBoards this afternoon and evening until I finally just gave up!
Ya what this place needs is yet another update and it will be running great.:laugh:

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Ovi needs 47 to beat 99.

Last year Ovi had 42.

If he worksout like a freak in the offseason (and gets some Russian Juice) he might pull it off next year.
Funny how at the beginning of the year Ovi looked washed up and once the NHL announced that their players were going back to the Olympics his game came back. He will beat Gretzky record now. No Olympics and I think Ovi would have just packed it in.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Funny how at the beginning of the year Ovi looked washed up and once the NHL announced that their players were going back to the Olympics his game came back. He will beat Gretzky record now. No Olympics and I think Ovi would have just packed it in.
Kinda doubt Russia will be part of any Olympics with their special operation and all……

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Even if you ignore wins and losses, the team has looked mediocre by the eye-test for 25 games plus.

The stats back it up, the wins and losses back it up.

If something doesn't change to get back to the way they were playing early in the season I don't think we have much of a chance. Good thing is we know it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad