GDT: Caps vs Islanders 730pm Mar 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kuemper gave up a soft regulation goal(better played angling and he still would have stopped the deflected shot) and he had some poor angling in the shootout. When you have a height 6'5", use your size as an advantage. I think goalie coach Scott Murray has messed up every Caps goalie with maybe the exception to Grubauer!

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Kuemper gave up a soft regulation goal(better played angling and he still would have stopped the deflected shot) and he had some poor angling in the shootout. When you have a height 6'5", use your size as an advantage. I think goalie coach Scott Murray has messed up every Caps goalie with maybe the exception to Grubauer!
glove hand high is weak, as is his concentration level when he doesn't see action for extended periods of time

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
glove hand high is weak, as is his concentration level when he doesn't see action for extended periods of time
That 2nd part you said can happen to a lot of goalies. All goalies feel they play better getting into a rhythm. What made Martin Brodeur one of the greatest goalies ever was he could excel even facing fewer total shots or go through a stretch of game facing few shots. This is where the importance of goaltending requires to be mentally strong.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
They need to solidify their positioning to get a better asset in the draft. If rooting for that over winning a meaningless game makes me a bad fan….I’ll take that categorization and roll with it. From my angle I could say you’re being a bad fan by not wanting them to end up with something positive from this season (an asset) BUT I don’t judge how people choose to be a fan. Everyone should do what they think is right. We all have different ideas on what will make the team better and there is nothing wrong that.

<steps off Soap box>
I've been reading posts here for the last several weeks and biting my tongue. I'm just sick to death of the constant repetitive shit about tanking and the attempts at humor around tanking. The team will finish where they will in the standings - we have no control over whether they win or lose. And I have no control over somebody else's fandom. But it sure makes for some tiresome shit on our board.

But hey, that is entirely a "me" problem and nobody else's, since I'm not being forced to come here and wade through the posts :laugh:

Reactions: Ridley Simon

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Crappy result.

Somehow got a point despite being men against kids in the 3rd period. Our only goal scored by Conor Sheary who should have been fired into the sun earlier but will no doubt get an extension shortly.

Bye bye Playoff spot. Bye bye top-10 pick.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I've been reading posts here for the last several weeks and biting my tongue. I'm just sick to death of the constant repetitive shit about tanking and the attempts at humor around tanking. The team will finish where they will in the standings - we have no control over whether they win or lose. And I have no control over somebody else's fandom. But it sure makes for some tiresome shit on our board.

But hey, that is entirely a "me" problem and nobody else's, since I'm not being forced to come here and wade through the posts :laugh:
hey, tanks for your feedback. personally I feel like cheering to win now is actually rooting against the team's future but I wouldn't call you a false fan for wanting a win in the moment, I just think it's silly when the writing is on the wall.

but tanks again for stating the case, it's an interesting perspective and what is a message board but one big think thank? I mean...

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

We don’t have any say in the winning either, so should we not talk about that? Yeah it’s a lot more fun to be rooting to get the one seed, or beat a rival, but this is where we are. Missing the playoffs and rooting for good drafting, player development, and off-season moves to get us back.

So think of it as rooting for a roster build.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah well same can be said for your constant "this team sucks" carping all year long, which apparently stops at tank talk when the season is basically over, so enjoy the tank ride, trash can.

thunder-tank.gif

Reactions: StrikingDistance

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Washington can conceivably finish as low as 7th from the bottom. Washington has the hardest SOS remaining though STL and DET also have difficult schedules as well.

More realistically they’ll finish in the 8th to 11th to the bottom range, which will give them a 1/16 to a 1/8 chance of winning one of the two lotteries.

Must-lose game tonight. B2B against a good, rested team. Can’t be stealing any points.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovi or not this team is just no fun to watch. And honestly hasn't been majority of Lavi's tenure.
I’m not sure we can attribute it to just Lavi. As mentioned before, this team is no longer built on high-end talent; it’s built on depth. When it’s built on depth everything is a grind because you have to out-system, out-scheme, and out-grind your way to wins. Scoring is a slog and you often are just playing coin flip hockey.

A new coach could and probably will help but they desperately need infusions of speed and talent more than anything else.

Reactions: Peeri and TJHKY

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

The team has total control but what do they have to play for? Nothing. Certainly not a PO spot, nor for the lame duck coaches.

Moving forward, including tonight's game, be prepared to see the equivalent to pre-season hockey. Minimal effort, smaller # of hits, no creative play-making. Not a lot of players want to get hurt playing meaningless games. The only ones who will show some pride are Oshie and Ovi and maybe one of the new guys trying to solidify a roster spot for next year.

The only positive that can come out of this season is a better draft pick. Period. So at this juncture, the only reasons to come here other than sadistic entertainment are: Ovi goals and potential positioning for a draft pick (tank talk). And yes, I'm glad you answered your own question (bolded).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The team has total control but what do they have to play for? Nothing. Certainly not a PO spot, nor for the lame duck coaches.

Moving forward, including tonight's game, be prepared to see the equivalent to pre-season hockey. Minimal effort, smaller # of hits, no creative play-making. Not a lot of players want to get hurt playing meaningless games. The only ones who will show some pride are Oshie and Ovi and maybe one of the new guys trying to solidify a roster spot for next year.

The only positive that can come out of this season is a better draft pick. Period. So at this juncture, the only reasons to come here other than sadistic entertainment are: Ovi goals and potential positioning for a draft pick (tank talk). And yes, I'm glad you answered your own question (bolded).
The other positive is roster changes to get younger and faster, even if they're not all game-breaking talents. Next season this team will be different, hopefully better.

Reactions: StrikingDistance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad