Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I don’t think they can trade Dowd now as he is the veteran center. I would do that because there is no center depth in Hershey. Consider Protas as 5C. Then Sutter. Rybinski could maybe take that role if we don’t resign Dowd.

Then i think you may have to resign NAK to play 4RW. I do think Trineyev is trending to take that 4RW role with some ability to play up to 3RW but he needs another full year in Hershey with maybe some call-up duty.

Lastly, I know people like Protas at Center, but more importantly I like him in middle 6. He shines a lot more on the skilled lines.
Bolded I definitely agree with. Him on the wing of Dowd and NAK seems like a great deal of under utilization. Now if there was someone with a big more skill in the other wing position so it was less of a traditional 4th line might be a different story.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Bolded I definitely agree with. Him on the wing of Dowd and NAK seems like a great deal of under utilization. Now if there was someone with a big more skill in the other wing position so it was less of a traditional 4th line might be a different story.
Love a purpose built shutdown line. But i could see a future for Caps where it is 4 skill lines and everyone plays defense. Malenstyn has some skill but he will top out at 10 goals at best. This is really his first full year. But when Dowd retires and more guys come in a 4th line of Malensyn-Protas-Wilson would bring both elements. Defense and offense.

Future is exciting right now! The possibilities are sweet!

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Love a purpose built shutdown line. But i could see a future for Caps where it is 4 skill lines and everyone plays defense. Malenstyn has some skill but he will top out at 10 goals at best. This is really his first full year. But when Dowd retires and more guys come in a 4th line of Malensyn-Protas-Wilson would bring both elements. Defense and offense.

Future is exciting right now! The possibilities are sweet!
that's one expensive forth line.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
that's one expensive forth line.
Sure but we’ll have cheap middle 6 with the youth.

We have to be in the minority of not having any 10M+ players on our roster right now. But we’ll get back up to cap ceiling at some point. But not next year. And not the year after.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sure but we’ll have cheap middle 6 with the youth.

We have to be in the minority of not having any 10M+ players on our roster right now. But we’ll get back up to cap ceiling at some point. But not next year. And not the year after.
We could get back up to the Cap # pretty easily. Lots of vets may be available on one year deals. Forwards or D.

I’m sure someone will shake out, that we can add. We could use one top flight forward, to push everyone else down a slot

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
We could get back up to the Cap # pretty easily. Lots of vets may be available on one year deals. Forwards or D.

I’m sure someone will shake out, that we can add. We could use one top flight forward, to push everyone else down a slot
The Caps could also weaponize the cap space as other teams have done. I have the team sitting at about 10-11 mil in effective cap space after factoring in re-signing Malenstyn and McMichael [at 3.5m aav] and with 13 F and 7 D. If a team is looking to move on from someone and willing to offer a high pick to take it on, Caps should definitely be interested.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The Caps could also weaponize the cap space as other teams have done. I have the team sitting at about 10-11 mil in effective cap space after factoring in re-signing Malenstyn and McMichael [at 3.5m aav] and with 13 F and 7 D. If a team is looking to move on from someone and willing to offer a high pick to take it on, Caps should definitely be interested.
yeah, I was thinking this as well. And yes, we will get back there because Ted ain’t afraid to spend money which i love. But with all of these young players who seem to have solidified spots and Leonard potentially/probably joining next years roster there just aren’t really any spots unless you want to send Miro down. But weaponizing the space is an interesting scenario but maybe not until TD and definitely not at the cost of sitting youngsters for overpaid vets. I’m sure GMBM will explore all kinds of stuff but the moves that we actually see will be savvy moves.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
yeah, I was thinking this as well. And yes, we will get back there because Ted ain’t afraid to spend money which i love. But with all of these young players who seem to have solidified spots and Leonard potentially/probably joining next years roster there just aren’t really any spots unless you want to send Miro down. But weaponizing the space is an interesting scenario but maybe not until TD and definitely not at the cost of sitting youngsters for overpaid vets. I’m sure GMBM will explore all kinds of stuff but the moves that we actually see will be savvy moves.
It's a good problem to have. You can play with the spots a bit, but the lineup is pretty well filled out with what is currently a playoff team [no UFAs included but assuming RFAs are re-signed]:

Ovechkin - McMichael - Oshie
Miroshnichenko - Strome - Wilson
Protas - Lapierre - Milano
Malenstyn - Dowd - ???
[??? and 13th forward can be filled by Sgarbs/Sutter/cheap UFA]

(and then 7 D, Lindgren, Kuemper, Stevenson, and Shepard all signed for next year)

Also, you can weaponize cap space by sending guys to the minors a la RyJo or even Kuzy briefly before the trade. Doesn't have to replace anyone necessarily.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I really think Leonard leaves, and is in the top 9 next year. In fact, these could be the lines if we make the postseason.

8-29-77
63-17-Leonard
21-24-15
47-26-43

In the Summer, I think we should target Skjei or Pesce. Preferably Skjei, as he can jump right on the top pair.

Carolina has a million guys that need contracts: TT, Guentzel, Pesce, Martinook, Skjei.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I really think Leonard leaves, and is in the top 9 next year. In fact, these could be the lines if we make the postseason.

8-29-77
63-17-Leonard
21-24-15
47-26-43

In the Summer, I think we should target Skjei or Pesce. Preferably Skjei, as he can jump right on the top pair.

Carolina has a million guys that need contracts: TT, Guentzel, Pesce, Martinook, Skjei.
I don’t know why everyone wants to replace 24 with 29 on top line. That is McMichael’s spot until he proves he shouldn’t have it. That top line of 8-24-77 has been super strong and we have won 4 straight with them being our best line. But i agree with your top 12 players.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Lenny.gif

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
That was such a dominant shift when BC was floundering. Excellent block/steal to kill the rush, and then take it all the way to the opposing goal.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad