Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I feel like he's under the radar at what 3rd or 4th in points on the team, but when you watch the games he's their best player and difference maker.
Leonard isn't BC's best player. There really isn't a "best player"/driver on this team. But Leonard is probably the most complete player as far as NHL prospects go with his combination of skill and physicality. Capitals fans should be very excited.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Leonard isn't BC's best player. There really isn't a "best player"/driver on this team. But Leonard is probably the most complete player as far as NHL prospects go with his combination of skill and physicality. Capitals fans should be very excited.
I feel this... watched between 15+ games this season. Gauthier has that NHL caliber shot that can go in from anywhere but no other facet really jumps out other than size.. We already know the all freshman line how the compliment each other.

Oh Fowler really solid also helps.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I feel this... watched between 15+ games this season. Gauthier has that NHL caliber shot that can go in from anywhere but no other facet really jumps out other than size.. We already know the all freshman line how the compliment each other.

Oh Fowler really solid also helps.
Right, Cutter's best attribute is his release/shot. But as a BC fan, I will say that Cutter is far more of a 200-foot player now than he was last year. I think Leonard would benefit from another year at the program, but he's the most ready between Perrault/Smith/Leonard. I do think any/all three of them staying for one more year is a possibility that NHL fans should consider though. The three of them are best friends who have been playing together for most of their lives and now they can get paid by staying in college.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wow! Last day of the quarter so I have been grinding. Just read through the Leonard mania. Thanks for posting all the videos @Cush !

I was always thinking two years of college for Leonard, but after seeing him accelerate and keep getting better, he might be best served going pro. And surely the caps will be putting their best selling job forward!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Right, Cutter's best attribute is his release/shot. But as a BC fan, I will say that Cutter is far more of a 200-foot player now than he was last year. I think Leonard would benefit from another year at the program, but he's the most ready between Perrault/Smith/Leonard. I do think any/all three of them staying for one more year is a possibility that NHL fans should consider though. The three of them are best friends who have been playing together for most of their lives and now they can get paid by staying in college.
Always nice to hear positive development re: Gauthier regardless of which team drafted him. Really wish somehow the Capitals could have got in on that trade that Anaheim got for him.

I expect if they don't win it all in the tourney that the three would come back for another season. Which I'm totally fine with.

Reactions: Wieters

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I'm biased. :naughty:

Reactions: Wieters

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It's a good problem to have. You can play with the spots a bit, but the lineup is pretty well filled out with what is currently a playoff team [no UFAs included but assuming RFAs are re-signed]:

Ovechkin - McMichael - Oshie
Miroshnichenko - Strome - Wilson
Protas - Lapierre - Milano
Malenstyn - Dowd - ???
[??? and 13th forward can be filled by Sgarbs/Sutter/cheap UFA]

(and then 7 D, Lindgren, Kuemper, Stevenson, and Shepard all signed for next year)

Also, you can weaponize cap space by sending guys to the minors a la RyJo or even Kuzy briefly before the trade. Doesn't have to replace anyone necessarily.
Don’t forget Leonard may sign after this season. He’s an RW, correct?

Slide Tom to the shut down line, and play Leonard with Strome and Miro

I really think Leonard leaves, and is in the top 9 next year. In fact, these could be the lines if we make the postseason.

8-29-77
63-17-Leonard
21-24-15
47-26-43

In the Summer, I think we should target Skjei or Pesce. Preferably Skjei, as he can jump right on the top pair.

Carolina has a million guys that need contracts: TT, Guentzel, Pesce, Martinook, Skjei.
I’d bet Leonard will be #9, and signs at the end of his college season.

I’d like Pesce. He’s an ex UNH alum, and can carry a pair by himself. Yea please

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I mean looking at next year, we are in a rebuilt. We almost don’t have enough veterans but i am fine with that.

OV-McMichael-Oshie
Milano-Strome-Protas
Miro-Lapierre-Leonard (he needs to earn his way up the lineup)
Malensyn-Dowd-Wilson

That gives us 5 of 12 under 25. 3 between 25 and 30. 4 over 30 amongst forwards.

On Dee (looking at top 7) we have 3 under 25. 3 over 30. 1 in middle.

Love to see the youngins coming in! And we’ll have some good young forwards in Hershey next year. Defense has to be a priority in the draft so hopefully that lines up for us with BAP.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
With Minnesota being knocked out of the tournament yesterday, any opinions or guesses vis-a-vis Chesley signing? Physical size wise, at 6 ft 201 lbs per EP, he might be ready for pro level. Just have no idea if his skill is ready, or his desire there yet.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
With Minnesota being knocked out of the tournament yesterday, any opinions or guesses vis-a-vis Chesley signing? Physical size wise, at 6 ft 201 lbs per EP, he might be ready for pro level. Just have no idea if his skill is ready, or his desire there yet.
I don’t believe the Caps brass is impressed with Chesley. But i also believe they would like to have him turn pro. He would certainly be a good addition to Hershey but again, I am not sure if AHL has a reserve list like NHL does. If so it would be great to have him in Hershey for rest of year.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I don’t believe the Caps brass is impressed with Chesley. But i also believe they would like to have him turn pro. He would certainly be a good addition to Hershey but again, I am not sure if AHL has a reserve list like NHL does. If so it would be great to have him in Hershey for rest of year.
He's not impressive in the sense he's going to jump off the page at you so there's not a ton of swooning to be done. Part of what makes him a solid prospect is just how unimpressive he is. He goes out every game and does his job, doesn't give a lot of chances up and doesn't hit box score too often. He rarely makes a bad play. He reminds me a little of Jensen (when Jensen is playing well) and I'd imagine his numbers will probably look something similar if he keeps on his current development path. Great third pairing PK guy, able to play up in the second pair and eat lots of minutes without trouble.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He's not impressive in the sense he's going to jump off the page at you so there's not a ton of swooning to be done. Part of what makes him a solid prospect is just how unimpressive he is. He goes out every game and does his job, doesn't give a lot of chances up and doesn't hit box score too often. He rarely makes a bad play. He reminds me a little of Jensen (when Jensen is playing well) and I'd imagine his numbers will probably look something similar if he keeps on his current development path. Great third pairing PK guy, able to play up in the second pair and eat lots of minutes without trouble.
Well to be fair i didn’t say he sucked or wouldn’t ever make the NHL. But when they drafted him, they expected him to be more of a second pair guy with upside. Not a third pair guy. And not so far removed from playing regular minutes in NHL. He is probably two years away. Same with Iorio who I think they maybe even had higher expectations for.

Such is the development path for defensemen. And especially with the Caps. They will both need to cook a bit longer. But with our contract situation at RD, that may be fine. We don’t need either in Washington next year.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Well to be fair i didn’t say he sucked or wouldn’t ever make the NHL. But when they drafted him, they expected him to be more of a second pair guy with upside. Not a third pair guy. And not so far removed from playing regular minutes in NHL. He is probably two years away. Same with Iorio who I think they maybe even had higher expectations for.

Such is the development path for defensemen. And especially with the Caps. They will both need to cook a bit longer. But with our contract situation at RD, that may be fine. We don’t need either in Washington next year.
I think he could be a second pair guy, I think Iorio is a good second pair guy sooner rather than later. It just really depends on how the whole blue line fills out and who's on the roster and what side they play. For example, I see Jensen and TVR as interchangable. Somebody has to play on the third pair though. If the capitals draft a high end offensive defender who's a lefty then maybe Iorio plays up on the first pair. It's just all about the makeup and the chemistry and not necessarily where someone should play. Having guys like Chelsey and Iorio who can play on any pair because they're so solid is a luxury.

Reactions: Marshall

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Lenny.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad