Pre-Game Talk: Caps @ Leafs - Tuesday October 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Barrie is ****ing brutal. Absolutely terrible. Guy looks like he spent his whole career in the AHL and now got the chance to show what he has in the NHL. No poise, uncomfortable, looks out of place, bad decisions all the time. Doesnt have any confidence in his game.

He needs to step up in a big, big time. I wouldnt even sign him for more than 2-3M at this time.
Something must be up here. I agree he looks like he is trying to learn to play defense. I think we will learn this is a Babs thing going on here. Here is the folly. Barrie has never been and will never be a defensive focused dman ever. Babs always trying to change guys. He never totally exploits guys core skills. He constantly focuses on improving a guys weakness. What Babs should be doing is giving Barrie the green light all the time. He looks and plays better when he has the puck and rushes it. And our wingers suck at taking passes and breaking up the ice because of this stupid launch pass system. Let him go. Let him take puck up ice himself. Let him make plays over the blue line. Tell your centres to drop back and cover. Play to his strengths. I guarantee you Barrie wants out of here yesterday. He knows he looks like dog bleep playing defense.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Something must be up here. I agree he looks like he is trying to learn to play defense. I think we will learn this is a Babs thing going on here. Here is the folly. Barrie has never been and will never be a defensive focused dman ever. Babs always trying to change guys. He never totally exploits guys core skills. He constantly focuses on improving a guys weakness. What Babs should be doing is giving Barrie the green light all the time. He looks and plays better when he has the puck and rushes it. And our wingers suck at taking passes and breaking up the ice because of this stupid launch pass system. Let him go. Let him take puck up ice himself. Let him make plays over the blue line. Tell your centres to drop back and cover. Play to his strengths. I guarantee you Barrie wants out of here yesterday. He knows he looks like dog bleep playing defense.

I agree, if babocck had prime Erik Karlsson he would hold him back for him to "learn defense" and that is why babcock isn't the right coach for this team anymore imo.

Not just barrie. He's tried holding these guys back to learn defensive structure, the result? a terribly structured defense. At some point it might be time to release the shackles and say "well maybe all out offense is our best strategy" green light a lot of players who will be better for it

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I agree, if babocck had prime Erik Karlsson he would hold him back for him to "learn defense" and that is why babcock isn't the right coach for this team anymore imo.

Not just barrie. He's tried holding these guys back to learn defensive structure, the result? a terribly structured defense. At some point it might be time to release the shackles and say "well maybe all out offense is our best strategy" green light a lot of players who will be better for it
Not really buying that as an excuse for Barrie, Reilly doesn’t seem to have any trouble skating up ice and joining the rush. Blaming Babcock is just cover for his awful play. Reilly is on pace for 80 points, Muzzin 60, if that’s holding back, I mean...

I think we are starting to realize why Avs fans were okay with him leaving and didn’t want to resign him for big bucks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not really buying that as an excuse for Barrie, Reilly doesn’t seem to have any trouble skating up ice and joining the rush. Blaming Babcock is just cover for his awful play. Reilly is on pace for 80 points, Muzzin 60, if that’s holding back, I mean...

I think we are starting to realize why Avs fans were okay with him leaving and didn’t want to resign him for big bucks.
Forget about the $$$ for a second or two. That we can both agree 8M for Barrie forget it totally not worth it. But go watch Avs playoff games last playoffs. He is constantly going back into his own end at speed and wheeling up the ice with the puck. This is exactly what we need. Forget about the launch pass. It has never worked and it will never work. What we need is both Rielly and Barrie taking puck up the ice themselves. Drop a forward back. It creates a speed game which team will thrive in. The lanes are all open. Teams do not even protect the lanes against the Leafs because they know how we break out. So we never create any speed coming out of our own end ever.

Reactions: The Podium

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Forget about the $$$ for a second or two. That we can both agree 8M for Barrie forget it totally not worth it. But go watch Avs playoff games last playoffs. He is constantly going back into his own end at speed and wheeling up the ice with the puck. This is exactly what we need. Forget about the launch pass. It has never worked and it will never work. What we need is both Rielly and Barrie taking puck up the ice themselves. Drop a forward back. It creates a speed game which team will thrive in. The lanes are all open. Teams do not even protect the lanes against the Leafs because they know how we break out. So we never create any speed coming out of our own end ever.
The guys main asset is his speed and hands. And we are using neither. How stupid. It boggles my mind what I am seeing. It is like saying to Mitch heh man shoot the puck every chance you get at the net. Every single time.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

oh don't get me wrong, barrie has been shit. Im more talking in general terms of the team, for Rielly there is nearly every other leaf that has been here for babcock's tenure who really hasn't got the grasp of his defensive system or just plain don't suit it.

Im not talking about defensemen points, im talking about the defensive system which is shambolic at best

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
you know. i hope Dubas does. I truly do
then when it's completely obvious that the team being more gritty is the least of this teams underlying issues. at least people can take solace in how gritty the team is.

Is competing for a puck too much to ask....sort of basic hockey stuff...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We need to replace this grit debate with “compete”, then maybe it doesn’t get confused with goonery and “gud pro” stuff. All we want is compete, at the highest level.
Ray brought up Bergeron compete level on OD today.....there is no reason why the Leafs best players can’t compete like him. None.

Reactions: Cams and DarkKnight

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Ray brought up Bergeron compete level on OD today.....there is no reason why the Leafs best players can’t compete like him. None.
Bergeron wasn't suppose to be as good as he became. For him to even become NHL player he had to compete first, scoring points second which is why he's so good at playing cycle hockey. He even fought early in his career. The Leafs top guys came into this league producing and being offensively skilled right from the go... None of them other than Marner had to put work before scoring as they were always just so much better than there peers at all levels until coming to the NHL and it's a learning curve one that will be frustrating to watch them go through but nonetheless not new as most top end guys go through this and will be well worth going through it.

Speaking about Marner this is what's most frustrating about him. He always had to prove himself because of his size. His motor was the best part of his game and COMPETE wasn't ever an issue with him yet this year it's nowhere to be seen. By far the most disappointing Leaf this season has been him as he's gone backwards in the COMPETE DEPARTMENT that needs correcting IMMEDIATELY.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Muzzin should have had an A on his chest.

At least he leads and is one of the most competitive guys on the club.

The rest seem to be different versions of vanilla.

Agree about him looking like a great choice. I wouldn't be surprised if he were next on the list. Maybe the pending UFA status worked against him in comparison to the other, longer term options? Don't know.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
At this point I'd take a loss where I see some emotion, hard work, and giving a shit, and sticking up to your teammates rather than a win the way they have been winning this season without a backbone.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
And teams get away with bullying the Leafs, because they know the Leafs don't have anyone (aside from Muzzin maybe?) that will do anything about it. Funny....but when there is talk of having a Matt Martin type in the lineup it gets ridiculed on here by most. Sure...I may be old school in my thinking and the way I enjoy this wonderful game. I grew up watching the crazy 80s and 90s (compared to today) hockey.....every team had at least 2 guys like Domi, or Colton Orr type players, plus guys like Tocchet, Marchment, Clark, Neely....guys who could put up big points but also punish guys physically. Yes, yes, yes.....I know the game has changed/evolved since, but guys like Tom Wilson, Reaves, Martin are still valuable players for their respective teams.

I can with all honesty say it is out right embarrassing at times watching the Leafs get run over or hit with borderline hits, and even the goalie being bumped and no response AT ALL. Plus.....the players see a guy bearing down on them and they either bail on the play or just try to reach their stick in at the puck so they don't have to take the hit.
Well said
I too watched through the 70s till now. How embarrassing as you put it to see Tavares plowed over by Weber and Matthews by Dillon with zero response. And now Dermott returns after also getting plowed over from behind last year-in every case no response. I played the game long enough (and got targeted) to know that if I had a Reeves watching my back that I’d play bigger.
Maybe Kappy’s comments will finally register?

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Bergeron wasn't suppose to be as good as he became. For him to even become NHL player he had to compete first, scoring points second which is why he's so good at playing cycle hockey. He even fought early in his career. The Leafs top guys came into this league producing and being offensively skilled right from the go... None of them other than Marner had to put work before scoring as they were always just so much better than there peers at all levels until coming to the NHL and it's a learning curve one that will be frustrating to watch them go through but nonetheless not new as most top end guys go through this and will be well worth going through it.

Speaking about Marner this is what's most frustrating about him. He always had to prove himself because of his size. His motor was the best part of his game and COMPETE wasn't ever an issue with him yet this year it's nowhere to be seen. By far the most disappointing Leaf this season has been him as he's gone backwards in the COMPETE DEPARTMENT that needs correcting IMMEDIATELY.
Good grief, chill.
Marner has been one of our best forwards for a few games now. He has produced over a point per game, he was late to sign, you can see him regaining top form now.
Not sure what you expect from him, he’s a little lost without his two line mates (Hyman all year and now Tavares last 5 games I think). Watch him closely, he is forever clever, seeing the whole ice surface like few others.

Reactions: JayDog17

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Good grief, chill.
Marner has been one of our best forwards for a few games now. He has produced over a point per game, he was late to sign, you can see him regaining top form now.
Not sure what you expect from him, he’s a little lost without his two line mates (Hyman all year and now Tavares last 5 games I think). Watch him closely, he is forever clever, seeing the whole ice surface like few others.

If he needs players to carry him, then he is not that good of a player.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
basically what I learned is Kadri is still getting screwed by the refs :laugh:

They might miss him more then I originally thought.

Although Kerfoot has been good, and Barrie is obviously not comfortable with this team yet (should get way better).

He did some dumb shit, but could never argue he didn't stuck up for his teammates.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Kapanen says Leafs must show more grit: 'Teams try to bully us'.

Kappy gets it. Perhaps the GM will soon.

Our players need to atleast try to be gritty. I get the only thing our top players have ever done is score, but damn these guys look like wimps sometimes. It would be nice to see Willy, Marner, and Matthews crash the boards hard and lay out a guy every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad