Pre-Game Talk: Caps @ Leafs - Tuesday October 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man do we need this one

Brutal schedule to chew through so winning games we've got some rest beforehand is a must, I think we will be ok if we can keep our heads above water now and make some hay when the schedule calms down and our fitness situation improves

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Barrie is ****ing brutal. Absolutely terrible. Guy looks like he spent his whole career in the AHL and now got the chance to show what he has in the NHL. No poise, uncomfortable, looks out of place, bad decisions all the time. Doesnt have any confidence in his game.

He needs to step up in a big, big time. I wouldnt even sign him for more than 2-3M at this time.

New systems and he isn;t the first to struggle with whatever babcock has running

Reactions: stickty111

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Some really big boys in the system.

Korshkov, Engvall, Elynuik, Gaudet, Archibald, Wilson, Marchment, Brazeau

Some more skilled than others obviously. We definitely need some sandpaper in the lineup. Too much Charmin not enough Black and Decker.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Kapanen says Leafs must show more grit: 'Teams try to bully us'.

Kappy gets it. Perhaps the GM will soon.

you know. i hope Dubas does. I truly do
then when it's completely obvious that the team being more gritty is the least of this teams underlying issues. at least people can take solace in how gritty the team is.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Barrie is ****ing brutal. Absolutely terrible. Guy looks like he spent his whole career in the AHL and now got the chance to show what he has in the NHL. No poise, uncomfortable, looks out of place, bad decisions all the time. Doesnt have any confidence in his game.

He needs to step up in a big, big time. I wouldnt even sign him for more than 2-3M at this time.
Overeaction time.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
If you wanna go all in on skill that's fine....have a top 5 powerplay and top 10 penalty kill.

Oh wait we don't have that? Not acceptable.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm one of the last people to advocate for more toughness, but when a player says they feel bullied out there it's at a point where there is a problem. That said, I don't think bringing in grit from somewhere else is necessary. The team needs more of a culture shift. When a coach says that our toughness comes from our powerplay and invites the league to take as many penalties as they want, it's no wonder that our players don't have a more physical response. I don't expect the Leafs to treat every game like the playoffs, but they should stand up for each other and all feel like the team has their back

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I think now that we have our skillz core locked up, we will see Dubas (hopefully) bring in this so called sandpaper. This year probably call-ups, next season trade or two...

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
And teams get away with bullying the Leafs, because they know the Leafs don't have anyone (aside from Muzzin maybe?) that will do anything about it. Funny....but when there is talk of having a Matt Martin type in the lineup it gets ridiculed on here by most. Sure...I may be old school in my thinking and the way I enjoy this wonderful game. I grew up watching the crazy 80s and 90s (compared to today) hockey.....every team had at least 2 guys like Domi, or Colton Orr type players, plus guys like Tocchet, Marchment, Clark, Neely....guys who could put up big points but also punish guys physically. Yes, yes, yes.....I know the game has changed/evolved since, but guys like Tom Wilson, Reaves, Martin are still valuable players for their respective teams.

I can with all honesty say it is out right embarrassing at times watching the Leafs get run over or hit with borderline hits, and even the goalie being bumped and no response AT ALL. Plus.....the players see a guy bearing down on them and they either bail on the play or just try to reach their stick in at the puck so they don't have to take the hit.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we lose to the Caps, and the Bolts beat the Rangers, we'll be outside of a playoff spot while having played more games.

That wouldn't be ideal.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If we lose to the Caps, and the Bolts beat the Rangers, we'll be outside of a playoff spot while having played more games.

That wouldn't be ideal.
And the worst part is our record is totally deserved with how the team has played. It's not like they've actually carried play but have gotten poor luck

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There are more issues with this team then grit and toughness, they also lack motivation and to me that is the biggest issue

Last edited:
Reactions: The Podium

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Kapanen says Leafs must show more grit: 'Teams try to bully us'.

Kappy gets it. Perhaps the GM will soon.

I like you Kappy and all, but sorry to break it to you: The guys who protect the teams star players are usually 3rd and 4th line players of the team, so for example: you.

You don't need to put Colton Orrs or Matt Martins into the roster to have toughness. Most of the time it is the attitude and will. All of you are strong professional athletes built like a truck. You either have the courage to step up and be a man or you hide like a p***y doing nothing.

We have p***yes doing nothing, and that is sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad