Post-Game Talk: Caps Isles 700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I'm glad the Caps are kinda sucking. They need to be playing their best hockey in a couple months...not now.

Plus if they don't show signs of figuring it out in a month or two we might actually see GMBM grow a pair and make some quality changes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm glad the Caps are kinda sucking. They need to be playing their best hockey in a couple months...not now.

Plus if they don't show signs of figuring it out in a month or two we might actually see GMBM grow a pair and make some quality changes.

exactly right, and unless management is seeing things behind the scenes they don't like, I think they ride things out for now. It fits their MO.

Interested to see what GMBM would do first, make a trade or fire Trotz.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
How many coaches will this team has to go through before we realized it has little to with the coach and its the plyers? Its the same old thing. It does not matter if its a huge playoff game or what should be a gimmie aginst a tired team. They just dont have the heart.

Having a power play to bail them out year after year ruined this team. They just dont know how to score at even strength.

If OV is smart he will leave as soon as he can.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not sure how much more could go worse in a game.

- Goal disallowed because of fraction of a second.
- If there ever was a stat created for 1-on-1 battles lost, Alex Ovechkin would lead the NHL in it. Dumb penalties galore again, gave up breakaway during one of the PP's, and him tanking the puck battles lead the Chimera goal again.
- Orlov keeps being in the top-4 despite brutal performances. I remember during the World Cup when Russia played Orlov in their top-4 that the TSN announcers said he should never play against top competition in the NHL. They weren't wrong.
- PP isn't working when Ovechkin isn't sniping it in. Kuznetsov and Backstrom still create solid amount of chances there but it's tough when team is shadowing Ovechkin and you have zero threat from Williams or Niskanen. They desperately need Oshie back because he can actually score out there.
- Carlson showed a good burst of speed in that sequence where he got the breakaway. I hope that isn't just the flash because it was propably the first time that has happened since his injury year ago.

All i could think about really when everything started going down the toilet was that they need to pick a direction. If they keep Trotz then for gods sake trade one of your skilled young forward for a D. Burakovsky for example was bambi on skates again and provided very little out there. Trotz has zero clue in how to develop a forward so it makes sense to trade one of the forwards for a D who Trotz is famous of developing. Otherwise their value keeps dipping until Trotz is gone.

Other option is obviously to kick Trotz out but i don't see that happening. I would guess it happens in December if it happens during this season because they'll still have time to re-evaluate the team before the TDL. IMO they need a pretty brutal December for Leonsis to kick Trotz, and i don't think that's happening because they have pretty easy schedule coming up after the Bolts game (Sabres x2, Canucks, BOS, NYI and CAR in the next 6).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Except that every season the standings end up close to about where they are at this point in the year. Meaning, if you're a bubble team in December you're probably going to be a bubble team in April.

The playoffs matter more but the regular season is where you build your habits. You can't win the Cup in the regular season but you can lose it.

Florida just fired their coach and they're 2pts behind the Caps, who are 1pt clear of TB and PHI for a wildcard spot. Yes, we have some games in hand but it's that close to going to ****. This is more of a bubble team than a Prez Trophy team so far.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Orlov and Halak, win this game for NYI.

It was a good game (or not a bad one, if you prefer) before the "Orlov Time".

No luck for the Caps. It could go their way, if the Williams goal were good, or even when it was already 2-0 and Ovi hit the crossbar, they would have plenty of time to score another one.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Many years and many coaching regimes right?

No, not really. Just under Oates and Barry actually. A defensive defensive pylon would never attain plus fiddy status on a team living off the PP like we do now. Hunter didn't win games via the PP, he did it by smothering defense. The PP has really only dominated to this degree, and been such a large part of scoring since Blaine implemented his design.

Our ES attack has slowly fizzled away. The sad thing is, Barry's ES funnel offense was very good last fall and early winter.

I see you are interested in knowing if BMac would can Barry or a player first. A discussion with you about Barry seemed a non starter just last week. Did you really flip flop after a simple Halaking?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps are 5-4-1 in their last 10. So are the Rangers and so are the Penguins. Its the same ole around here. If they win, its a bad sign or they are not playing right. If they lose a game, they are doomed.

They are the Caps. For them to win a cup they will have to fight thru the doom anyway.

The waived off goal could have been a really good thing for this team. Helping two struggling players get going.

The one thing that I saw last night that was a positive was that Carlson looked like himself. He had mobility and explosion. Caps will be much better if the old Carly returns.

Orlov? Kuzy? Burakovsky? Williams? Eller? Wilson?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps are 5-4-1 in their last 10. So are the Rangers and so are the Penguins. Its the same ole around here. If they win, its a bad sign or they are not playing right. If they lose a game, they are doomed.

They are the Caps. For them to win a cup they will have to fight thru the doom anyway.

The waived off goal could have been a really good thing for this team. Helping two struggling players get going.

The one thing that I saw last night that was a positive was that Carlson looked like himself. He had mobility and explosion. Caps will be much better if the old Carly returns.

Sure because 10 game records are what really matter when looking big picture.

Pens are the defending champs and have 2 cups in 3 appearances in the Crosby era. The Rangers have been taking us out quite a bit and going deep in the playoffs. Meanwhile we choke every year and have missed the playoffs recently (in the last 3 years).

Rongos are also 1st in the league in goals and 5th on the PP. They lead the Metro, and Pitt is 2nd. The Pens won 6-2 last night and are 5th in goals.

The Caps are 21st in goals and the PP is now 24th. PK is middle of the pack, but I guess 4th best in the league in goals-against is what we should be celebrating (while trashing our star goaltender for pointing out the obvious).

These are the kinds of stats that kept Oates out of the playoffs and got him fired.

But sure, nothing to see here.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
... they are doomed.

:laugh: you haze the doomers because Pitt is 5-4-1, and then end your post with a doomsday list of players struggling offensively.

It boggles the mind how a list of collectively very good players can all be struggling under the guidance of the longest tenured coach in the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
:laugh: you haze the doomers because Pitt is 5-4-1, and then end your post with a doomsday list of players struggling offensively.

It boggles the mind how a list of collectively very good players can all be struggling under the guidance of the longest tenured coach in the league.

Your mind is boggled? Orlov is playing over his paygrade and it shows. They promised him that to get his name on a contract and will have to live with it for a while longer. The others need to break thru. Kuzy and Williams did break thru last night but it didn't count. Saw Wilson was a couple amazing efforts. Enough said about Williams game last night.

But I appreciate your point that moderation isn't applicable. Trotz is doomed. Is that better?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Meanwhile we choke every year and have missed the playoffs recently (in the last 3 years)..

We fear the choking if they were 82-0. In fact know it was coming.

I am seeing the accumulation of your comments now. You think they are going to miss the playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Your mind is boggled? Orlov is playing over his paygrade and it shows. They promised him that to get his name on a contract and will have to live with it for a while longer. The others need to break thru. Kuzy and Williams did break thru last night but it didn't count. Saw Wilson was a couple amazing efforts. Enough said about Williams game last night.

But I appreciate your point that moderation isn't applicable. Trotz is doomed. Is that better?

Wait, so at the end of your post, you were complimenting those players? Well, Orlov aside apparently. Yeah, so I am still boggled.

Trotz may not be doomed, but the team certainly appears to be trending in the wrong direction for ~10 months. Do you disagree?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But sure, nothing to see here.
They're also now two points behind Columbus for third in the Metro and have amassed a 2-4-2 record inside the division. Columbus has gone 7-1-2 in their last 10 and their goal differential puts them up among the best in the East. The chase is on.

It always comes back to the process. Without respecting it they take for granted that their typical level of play is almost automatically worthy of winning. It's just not the case and the more they focus on just being resilient and working through unrefined instincts the more frustrating their game will be. Where's the cohesion among forward lines? Does Trotz really deserve points for mashing up lines when he's also built so little cohesion as a result? Is the point to be able to score in spite of it due to low-to-high? Is that not crazy?

The concerning thing about this loss was that they had four days to recharge and work on implementing some crisper possession play and were mostly flat. Some of that's on the PP letting them down but they don't get an above average impact level offensive performance from anyone on a nightly basis. As much as it's still a team game, teams need dominant performances to lead the way and this team doesn't get them as-is. If Trotz can't figure it out and they can't get by on special teams/team D/Holtby then, yes, they're in trouble.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We fear the choking if they were 82-0. In fact know it was coming.

I am seeing the accumulation of your comments now. You think they are going to miss the playoffs.

Still trying to be my editor? :sarcasm:

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Do they keep stats on shots high and wide?

I thought they controlled much of this game. I also thought they were being cute and somewhat lazy. Its like me they don't take shots because they don't want to have to back check if it doesn't go in. Instead they'd rather just turn it over and be forced to back check lol.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good stuff Capathetic

I hope Barry realizes we couldn't score with or without Orlov's gaffe's and instead of benching him, does TEAM drill work on how best to handle a bum rush on a D in a situation like that.

I suspect a forward was supposed to be back helping on that first mid ice turnover. That doesn't excuse Orlov but what the hell was his partner thinking? Signs of lazy play; get yer ass back and give Orlov an outlet, or be back in case to stop a break. I don't even want to know who it was.

Certain unnamed forwards and defensemen only show their top end speed but a few times a year. How can I back check at 75%, yet make it look like I am really trying my darndest? Who can say for sure if Orlov was supposed to have any help there at all, as I cannot even tell what the plan is out on the ice. For a defense first coach, Barry leaves his players on an island quite often, and gives up a disturbing amount of odds / breaks; more disturbing, ones we seem to rarely get.

No wonder Holt's is pissed.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Good stuff Capathetic

I hope Barry realizes we couldn't score with or without Orlov's gaffe's and instead of benching him, does TEAM drill work on how best to handle a bum rush on a D in a situation like that.

I suspect a forward was supposed to be back helping on that first mid ice turnover. That doesn't excuse Orlov but what the hell was his partner thinking? Signs of lazy play; get yer ass back and give Orlov an outlet, or be back in case to stop a break. I don't even want to know who it was.

Certain unnamed forwards and defensemen only show their top end speed but a few times a year. How can I back check at 75%, yet make it look like I am really trying my darndest? Who can say for sure if Orlov was supposed to have any help there at all, as I cannot even tell what the plan is out on the ice. For a defense first coach, Barry leaves his players on an island quite often, and gives up a disturbing amount of odds / breaks; more disturbing, ones we seem to rarely get.

No wonder Holt's is pissed.

Same to you. Watching the Toronto broadcast last game Alan May suggested that team threw any and everything at the net and it caused better possession numbers along with second and third chance opertunites. Watching the Caps they like to try and get cycles going a few times a game but the other team often wins a battle on the wall and stops the attack. This team is living off of the rush and power plays right now. It's just predictable. On the pp the goalie knows the shot is coming from 2 places and the rest of the team will block the point shots.

The other huge difference in last years team? Physicality. They didn't let guys crash their net and they crowded the opposing net often. Caps look like a weak perimeter team right now.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
How many coaches will this team has to go through before we realized it has little to with the coach and its the plyers? Its the same old thing. It does not matter if its a huge playoff game or what should be a gimmie aginst a tired team. They just dont have the heart.

Having a power play to bail them out year after year ruined this team. They just dont know how to score at even strength.

If OV is smart he will leave as soon as he can.

You realize that Ovechkin is one of the few constants over the past 10 years of repeated failure, right? It's just him, Backstrom, Alzner and Carlson left from 2010, and Alzner and Carlson only played about 40 games between them that year.

It seems odd that you would call out the players for repeated failures but then absolve Ovie by saying if he's smart he'll leave at the first opportunity, implying he's not part of the problem. Right now he absolutely is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad