Post-Game Talk: Caps Isles 700

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not sure I agree with putting Vrana alongside Burakovsky and Kuznetsov but I guess it beats burying him on the fourth line.

Islanders are at the tail end of a 3 in 4 and back to back stretch. And they are bad. And the Capitals are at home. If the Capitals don't take it to the Islanders it would be very concerning.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't see where Trotz had much of a choice, unless you are again lobbying for Kuznetsov to skate with Ovechkin. With 8-19-90 they have one offensive line that is reliable.

Burt and Kuzy are not doing anything. It might be Vrana supplies a spark to get them going.

Will be interesting to see the toi breakdown after this one. I could believe that 14-20-10 is actually the 4th line. Winnik, Beagle and Wilson have been delivering something on a consistant basis.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Our top 9 forwards are all first round picks; top 6 are all Caps first rounders. Other than the goalies, 26, 83, 88 and 9 are the only non-first rounders on the roster.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I like the idea of putting Vrana on a line with two guys who need a kick in the pants and could match up very well style-wise. Worth a shot. If it becomes a nightmare then down to the 4th he'll go.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't see where Trotz had much of a choice, unless you are again lobbying for Kuznetsov to skate with Ovechkin. With 8-19-90 they have one offensive line that is reliable.

Burt and Kuzy are not doing anything. It might be Vrana supplies a spark to get them going.

Will be interesting to see the toi breakdown after this one. I could believe that 14-20-10 is actually the 4th line. Winnik, Beagle and Wilson have been delivering something on a consistant basis.

I like the top line right now. 8-19-90 played well at the end of the Leafs game and they haven't played together this season aside from that so it's worth a shot. Not lobbying for Kuznetsov playing alongside Ovechkin right now at all (maybe when Oshie gets back).

The more I think about it the more I'm okay with him on the second line as is. The only other options I could come up with were:

10-20/83-13 or 13-20/83-14

as third line options but stylistically they don't really seem like a match. I agree with g00n, based on what I saw in the preseason he seems like he might mesh better with Kuznetsov and Burakovsky but that will almost surely be a weak defensive line. I guess that means Alzner and Niskanen might see a lot of time with the second line to provide defensive balance since they shouldn't need to see a lot of ice time with a more defensively responsible top line with Backstrom and Johansson on it.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Our top 9 forwards are all first round picks; top 6 are all Caps first rounders. Other than the goalies, 26, 83, 88 and 9 are the only non-first rounders on the roster.

And curiously, two of those four were undrafted.

I don't think he had much of a choice with Oshie out and our bottom six being disasterous. Backstrom is clearly his preferred shutdown center, so that wasn't an option and other than Mojo and Backstrom Ovi is the only reliable point getter right now - and he'll attract the toughest opposing D.

I'm not sure the top-6 / bottom-6 concept really applies at the moment.

Curious point made by Mike Vogel: the Caps four highest paid forwards - Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie and Mojo - are their only consistently-producing forwards so far. Without a Chimera adding 40 points, and Kuzy and Bura sparking, this team risks relying on its top 3 or 4 forwards more than ever - let's hope Vrana finds his skates and the back of the net in the next few weeks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I like the idea of putting Vrana on a line with two guys who need a kick in the pants and could match up very well style-wise. Worth a shot. If it becomes a nightmare then down to the 4th he'll go.

If it's a nightmare, I don't think it's Vrana who should be going down to the 4th line. Kuz and Burt have been contributing zilch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like the top line right now. 8-19-90 played well at the end of the Leafs game and they haven't played together this season aside from that so it's worth a shot. Not lobbying for Kuznetsov playing alongside Ovechkin right now at all (maybe when Oshie gets back).

The more I think about it the more I'm okay with him on the second line as is. The only other options I could come up with were:

10-20/83-13 or 13-20/83-14

as third line options but stylistically they don't really seem like a match. I agree with g00n, based on what I saw in the preseason he seems like he might mesh better with Kuznetsov and Burakovsky but that will almost surely be a weak defensive line. I guess that means Alzner and Niskanen might see a lot of time with the second line to provide defensive balance since they shouldn't need to see a lot of ice time with a more defensively responsible top line with Backstrom and Johansson on it.

I don't think you really want to see 65 skating with Beagle no matter how well Beagle is playing. So putting Vrana doesn't seem to be of my value.

Yes 65-92-13 will be vulnerable defensively. But its a home game. If the NYI try to change Tavares in on a 92 shift, I would imagine they will be game planned to change. That Trotz either wants Beagle or Backstrom against Tavares and having Kuzy bail if Tavares comes out wont be a smack in the face.

2-27 will be out against Tavares regardless of the forward line.

Kuzy's assists have now dried up. Paired with a guy that can't score doesn't really seem like a way out for either of them. Maybe Vrana gets them over the hump

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If Vrana's still up when TJ returns, I'd like to see them put Tre Kronor back together - might get Bura going again - and try something like:

90-19-65
8-20-77
13-92-14
26-83-43

Until further notice, Kuzy is essentially our (not defensively-brilliant) 3C, while TJ is the only consistently-productive forward Eller has been paired with so far. Maybe Vrana can get the Kuzy-Williams line restarted?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If Eller or Connolly pot one, 65 92 13 could become the 4th line in a flash.

I don't think they even need to score - just seem more dominant and get better chances. Kuzy is typically paired with skilled players - Bura, Mojo, Ovi - maybe pairing him with some hungry fourth line like Connolly and Wilson would force him to think less, play more simply, and shoot more? Or destroy him. Who knows.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Interesting that Trotz said Carey could have beaten one of the 11 regulars (I.e. not Vrana) to a jersey tonight had he not got sick. Playing Carey over Winnik or Connolly would be a pretty big statement that Trotz is unhappy with the bottom six (given they've brought over two of Hershey's hottest scorers of late).

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Pleasently surprised and happy that Vrana is in the top 6.

I would love to see the Caps just hammer these guys. It would make their win over the Pens even more comical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad