Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As I said, and quoted, gmbm specifically talked about mentoring young defensemen. That to me says "teach them defense". Otherwise, why not just say he's teaching all young players how to be a pro? Teams have trainers and leaders. Any other leader or player can talk about how to be a pro. Anyone on the planet can tell you not to eat junk food.

IMO they're cobbling together the "intangibles" excuses with the "mentoring" excuse in order to justify keeping him around, but again WHO is going to benefit? Who is he playing with from that 10-12 young prospects gmbm mentioned?

Keep in mind I was very pro-Orpik for the first few years. And as I stated earlier I'm not necessarily endorsing a buy out. But let's be honest about what's really going on. The GM is rationalizing the situation.

Rationalizing....please. As if he has to rationalize shit. That’s angry fan speak.

I feel confident that you’re completely wrong on the mentoring thing. He’s not teaching them to play D...it likely goes waaaaay beyond that and is deep into “how to be a pro” territory.

Chara a towering influence on young Bruins blueliners

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I feel Djoos, Bowey, Johansen, and Siegenthaler all can/could benefit from being taken under Orpik’s wing and I’m confident Orlov and Schmidt have benefited from his mentoring, despite their games not being all that similar to his in most ways, IMO.

I’m not saying he isn’t a decent candidate for a buyout after this season though.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orpik's leadership is overblown. Don't we have other vets like Carlson and Niskanen capable of taking the young Ds under their wing and teaching them how to be pros? If leadership is the best thing Orpik brings to this team, then we need to move on ASAP. He might be a terrific locker room presence, but he makes mistakes and takes bad penalties at critical points of a game or at a critical point in a playoff series that would have any rookie D benched immediately.

Reactions: g00n

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You know who else was supposedly amazing as locker room presneces? Troy Brouwer and Brooks Laich. Neither were seemingly big losses.

I don't doubt they he's a good guy to have in your lockerroom, but to act like the team would be lost without him is pretty ridiculous. We have plenty of veteran leaders who should be able to show the young cats how to work and maintain their body. If that's what they depend on you can have him as a coach but it's a sad state our franchise is in if that's a necessity.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You know who else was supposedly amazing as locker room presneces? Troy Brouwer and Brooks Laich. Neither were seemingly big losses.

I don't doubt they he's a good guy to have in your lockerroom, but to act like the team would be lost without him is pretty ridiculous. We have plenty of veteran leaders who should be able to show the young cats how to work and maintain their body. If that's what they depend on you can have him as a coach but it's a sad state our franchise is in if that's a necessity.

You just made me realize how much I still like Orpik. o_O

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Rationalizing....please. As if he has to rationalize ****. That’s angry fan speak.

I feel confident that you’re completely wrong on the mentoring thing. He’s not teaching them to play D...it likely goes waaaaay beyond that and is deep into “how to be a pro” territory.

Chara a towering influence on young Bruins blueliners

Angry fan speak? Why would I be angry at Orpik? Be real.

I never said he wasn't also teaching the other stuff. I've defended him in the past for it. I said the explanation is a rationalization for not bagging the deal, which it is. The issue is the roster spot and the salary amount, as well as this claim that Orpik will be mentoring a dozen or so prospects in the system. How is that even possible? The Caps have had plenty of "character/locker room guys" over the years. They also have to bring something else to the table. Trotz thinks it's a physical presence. Some here disagree about how effective that's been.

It's not that Orpik offers nothing, it's the fact that the comments from gmbm don't add up when addressing the actual question, unless the basic defense and professionalism "mentoring" is so world class it can't be had any way other than a high priced roster slot, and at the expense of a lot of things on the ice.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Personally I think people put way too much into what a coach or GM says to the press, especially about players who aren’t playing particularly well.

I mean even if they 100% agree with all the complaints around here, if they honestly feel they don’t have a better option available, again some may disagree, what are they supposed to say? You highlight the things he does provide and sweep under the rug the things he doesn’t, at least publicly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Personally I think people put way too much into what a coach or GM says to the press, especially about players who aren’t playing particularly well.

I mean even if they 100% agree with all the complaints around here, if they honestly feel they don’t have a better option available, again some may disagree, what are they supposed to say? You highlight the things he does provide and sweep under the rug the things he doesn’t, at least publicly.

Yes, spin and canned answers exist. But we're talking about what the GM actually said in response to a direct question and whether or not it's true. I guess we're just accepting it as spin?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik's leadership is overblown. Don't we have other vets like Carlson and Niskanen capable of taking the young Ds under their wing and teaching them how to be pros? If leadership is the best thing Orpik brings to this team, then we need to move on ASAP. He might be a terrific locker room presence, but he makes mistakes and takes bad penalties at critical points of a game or at a critical point in a playoff series that would have any rookie D benched immediately.

All things according to their gifts. Some people are better leaders than others. Some are better teachers than others. Some have won more respect than others. Orpik has an A on his sweater. Niskanen and Carlson don't. I assume that is for a reason. I am willing to submit there is a likelihood that the reason is valid.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

How is it overblown when any teammate or team Exec gushes over it when asked?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
All things according to their gifts. Some people are better leaders than others. Some are better teachers than others. Some have won more respect than others. Orpik has an A on his sweater. Niskanen and Carlson don't. I assume that is for a reason. I am willing to submit there is a likelihood that the reason is valid.

No no, it’s alllllll an excuse to justify the signing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No no, it’s alllllll an excuse to justify the signing.

Not the signing. That made sense. He's justifying the continued use and presence at the end of the contract.

Is anyone going to tell me how Orpik is going to mentor 12 AHL defensemen this season and next? Because that's what gmbm said.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why do you feel the need to have an explanation from people on the outside when those on the inside support his impact in mentoring?

I won’t be surprised if he’s not bought out, nor will I be surprised if he is this summer. This summer was always the best option.

There are plenty of camp and off ice opportunities for mentoring. And please....they don’t really give a shit about 12 AHL D, he says 10-12 under 22.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How is it overblown when any teammate or team Exec gushes over it when asked?

Because I think it's exaggerated? It's kind of like when Laviolette and the Flyers called Giroux the best player in the world.

Carlson wore the A before. There is this culture of respect for the veterans in hockey. If you look around the league, most of the guys with the A on their jerseys are older guys.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If Orpik's value to this team is all based on his locker room leadership/mentorship, then his value is not worth his contract. We can find another locker room guy who can fill that void and play bottom 6 D, 4th line minutes and get closer to 1mil a year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Orpik's value to this team is all based on his locker room leadership/mentorship, then his value is not worth his contract. We can find another locker room guy who can fill that void and play bottom 6 D, 4th line minutes and get closer to 1mil a year.

That we know for sure....that’s why this summer may be the end.

I’m going to get a good laugh if he plays well in the playoffs though... ;)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Flip 10 and 18.

Honestly...I am happy with all kinds of mixing and matching, and I do think these are the 12 best forwards to use. I could perhaps argue Boyd over DSP for speed purposes (or Boyd over Connolly). But mostly, its good.

That said, get 18 into the top 9. Beagle can play with Connolly, DSP, Chiasson, and Boyd. Let those 4 forwards rotate with Beags to get the best 4th line they can around chemistry, defense, PK, etc.

Put Stephenson with the other 8 top 9 F's (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuz, Eller, Oshie, Bura, Wilson, Vrana) and leave them as the top 9. Mix and match that group as well as we prep for the 2nd season.

And try Djoos in Orpik's slot. Just Try It! Or:

6-74
29-2
9-28

Reactions: Corby78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad