Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The question re: Karlsson has to be: Does the trade make the team better. I'd argue that given the cost to acquire him, the answer is no. He's a tremendous player, but overall the team would be less deep and less well balanced. Trading for EK at the expense of depth, balance, and proven chemistry is a bad move.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I would not trade Wilson for Stone.

Stone is a far superior offensive player, but I still wouldn’t do it.

Big Willy is a ****ing force of nature.
This. If he got a point for every play he makes where he barely or never touches the puck but draws a penalty or causes a turnover that leads to a goal, people would appreciate him more.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Is he looking for less money?!? Hahaha
Probably has something to do with his AHL salary. If you sign a two way deal you don't make the NHL salary when you're in the AHL. O'Brien only made 85 K last year plus 8k for his one NHL game (650k/82).

He put up close to 30 points in the AHL last season. I don't know how those contracts work but I wouldn't be surprised if he's content with the 650k NHL salary and is just trying to get a raise in his AHL salary.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
After winning the cup GMBM should be thinking about future revenue first and then more cups second.

The foundation for the future is here already. Picks, prospects, solid roster and modern type of coach (hopefully).

Trading some of the good pieces to acquire 1 year of Erik Karlsson seems to be not the smartest strategy. Even if they win one more time - then what?

But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: ovikovy817

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
After winning the cup GMBM should be thinking about future revenue first and then more cups second.

The foundation for the future is here already. Picks, prospects, solid roster and modern type of coach (hopefully).

Trading some of the good pieces to acquire 1 year of Erik Karlsson seems to be not the smartest strategy. Even if they win one more time - then what?

But that's just my opinion.

Disagree on the prospects being here. Forward depth is pretty weak. I would try and trade one of our many defenders in the system for a forward prospect of equal value.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I thought it was a widely accepted fact that Mcphee didn't have any control of coaches. Leonsis and Patrick picked Oates, no?

Accepted by who? That’s so partisan, in so many ways.

17yr Caps GM can’t pick his coach.
1yr Caps GM can hire his coach.
4yr Caps GM can hire his coach

Ted gives Unseld free reign
Ted gives Ernie even more free reign.

George hires imbeciles as coach
Wes/Ernie hire whatecer they want as coach

Ted allow Basketball to do what it wants. Ted tell hockey what to do?

Jun 15, 2007
Accepted by who? That’s so partisan, in so many ways.

17yr Caps GM can’t pick his coach.
1yr Caps GM can hire his coach.
4yr Caps GM can hire his coach

Ted gives Unseld free reign
Ted gives Ernie even more free reign.

George hires imbeciles as coach
Wes/Ernie hire whatecer they want as coach

Ted allow Basketball to do what it wants. Ted tell hockey what to do?

Wyshynski noted that McPhee had wanted to hire Cooper for the Caps job in 2012, “but ownership wanted Adam Oates instead.” The Associated Press’ Stephen Whyno concurred with Wyshynski’s analysis that McPhee had wanted to hire Cooper.

George McPhee regrets not hiring Jon Cooper to coach the Capitals in 2012

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Willy is in an interesting spot. I have a hunch BMac may empty the till for will.

Yeah, fans wanted Cooper too. Trying to save face.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Carlson at 8 helps keep Willy in check. DSP. Kuzy last year. Everyone's taking one for the team. Eller. If BMac can get Willy on a long term w/ hometown discount, let's just give him the GM award of the year already.

I suspect Don Fishman is our lead negotiator.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I wonder if Carlson at 8 helps keep Willy in check. DSP. Kuzy last year. Everyone's taking one for the team. Eller. If BMac can get Willy on a long term w/ hometown discount, let's just give him the GM award of the year already.

I suspect Don Fishman is our lead negotiator.

i think so too, there was a video of fishman signing the prospects with the contract and everything

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
LOL at Tampa who literally stocked the roster so deep last season and got bounced in the ECF and is now going back to the well for more elite talent. That's going to be a smoldering wreckage of a franchise in 3 years.

I'm calling it now. Neither Tampa Bay nor Toronto will surpass their previous season achievement in the post season, this isn't 1985, you can't ride a few superstars to your cup. You know what did TB in during our series? Not their defense, it was the fact that their top line only produce 5 goals the entire series. They were shut out twice, and had the doors blown off them the other two games. Losing depth to get EK doesn't fix that team.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Thats why i'm really not that fussed if they get him.
Cant stop, wont stop, our PP.
Does give us another defender to seek and destroy who they will of course try and protect and wind up focusing on Willy again instead of winning haha!

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tampa has one of the better prospects pools in the NHL, has numerous young stars (Kucherov is 25, Vasilevskiy is 23, Point is 22, Sergachev is 20), and has more than $15M coming off the books next season to be able to afford the raise for Kucherov (and Karlsson?). These hot takes about the upcoming demise of Tampa Bay are pretty ill-founded. They've been to the ECF in three of the past four years for a reason.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Tampa has one of the better prospects pools in the NHL, has numerous young stars (Kucherov is 25, Vasilevskiy is 23, Point is 22, Sergachev is 20), and has more than $15M coming off the books next season to be able to afford the raise for Kucherov (and Karlsson?). These hot takes about the upcoming demise of Tampa Bay are pretty ill-founded. They've been to the ECF in three of the past four years for a reason.
Well 3 of the 4 last years they haven't been good enough to advance past the 3rd round. Karlsson will not change that on going issue. Caps and Pens are still the better equipped teams to reach the Cup Final on the East Side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia