Post-Game Talk: Caps/Boltz 7pm (punch, pie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Have faith guys, you don't go from pres cup and a game 7 against the champs to nothing. Just believe that it's better to play like this and get it out of the system while the season is young. If i'm not wrong they are still right in the mix for the division despite this shaky start. Remember how awkward Pittsburgh looked last season early and how good the Caps looked? Remind me what happened after the all star break.....

I disagree. Playing this bad is never a good thing for a hockey team.

With that much talent, they can't play this dumbed down offense all year and expect good results in the playoffs.

Something needs to change...System, coaches, players, idk. It's not working.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Would've liked to have seen Vrana, one of the fastest on the team, in OT.

This. And really this is a key Trotz problem: he's way too safe. I mean for Christ sakes you've scored 1 goal in 6 periods and played like garbage for at least 3 games. Take a flyer on something. If you lose, at least you tried, and hell, you were probably gonna lose anyway.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When the Pens were struggling last year I remember hearing from the stat-heads that their bad numbers weren't sustainable and they were a better team on paper than their record showed. Can the same be said for this Caps team?

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
When the Pens were struggling last year I remember hearing from the stat-heads that their bad numbers weren't sustainable and they were a better team on paper than their record showed. Can the same be said for this Caps team?

Our underlying numbers are pretty good.

But it seems like our offensive approach is flawed, we're not generating good chances.

The low to high philosophy is terrible.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Nothing against Johansson, but i knew he wouldn't score in the shootout

Actually, the more I think of it, the more this sums up the Caps problems. We have very few successful shooters on our team right now.

Few of our players have been scoring goals - you certainly wouldn't trust Carlson or Niskanen to put it on net right now - and Burakovsky and Williams have been missing the net or fanning on good opportunities for a while now. I'm honestly surprised Kuzy scored in the shootout. Lars Eller, Tom Wilson and Brett Connolly have hardly been impressing offensively.

I hope Vrana's here to stay. If he's here when Osh returns, I think we can be more confident that we've got 3 top-9 left wingers and at least 2 top-9 right wingers. The only question there will be whether we have a legit 2C and 3C. So much for being so strong up the middle...

Great speed and puck control, net drives, general idea to shoot the puck... Give him a couple of shifts with Mojo and Backstrom and I bet he starts scoring.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Our underlying numbers are pretty good.

But it seems like our offensive approach is flawed, we're not generating good chances.

The low to high philosophy is terrible.

We're covering the point too much, making it much harder on the three forwards to move about unchallenged and find open ice or the net. But frankly, getting the D to pinch in more would be risky.

• Schmidt can pinch in because his speed makes a 2-on-1 less likely, and Orpik's one of our steadiest D-men
  • Niskanen and Alzner aren't the fastest on their feet
  • Carlson looks slow, Orlov makes bad D decisions, and Carlson has been a bit of a pylon for most of the season anyway, so I'm not sure you'd want either guarding Braden alone.

Meanwhile, did anyone see the 3-on-3 shift where we had no defenders on the ice, in our own zone, under huge pressure? No idea what mistake was made on the line change - surely it can't have been deliberate - but you had Mojo, Eller and (I think) Kuznetsov out there together. That could have ended badly.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Have faith guys, you don't go from pres cup and a game 7 against the champs to nothing. Just believe that it's better to play like this and get it out of the system while the season is young. If i'm not wrong they are still right in the mix for the division despite this shaky start. Remember how awkward Pittsburgh looked last season early and how good the Caps looked? Remind me what happened after the all star break.....

We lost in 6 games to the Pens...

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's so boring. Very little scoring, very little physical play, very little fighting. We've been so lucky to see a decade of Ovi, I fear what it'll be like after he is done.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Does anyone even notice Tom Wilson on the ice anymore?

Better question.... does anyone really notice any Caps players stand out much anymore?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Does anyone even notice Tom Wilson on the ice anymore?

Better question.... does anyone really notice any Caps players stand out much anymore?

Honeslty, no one on the Caps stands out besides the netminder. I think he looks really good on the PK. The real issue is that the entire team has essentially been set in low gear and not allowed to get going. The only times Wilson looks great is when he's allowed to be aggressive and allowed to just put the hammer down and go. I think him being invisible is as much the team being bad as anything.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
We have the second best goalie in the world. It's time for Trotz to be riskier offensively and change it up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This team is dead in the water. There's no magic line combination to pull out of this funk. It seems that whatever was affecting Kuzy is now affecting the whole friggin' team aside from 19 and 90.

Our defense has 3 lousy goals so far this year, and one of them is an empty netter. Out with Trotz and Reirden, I've had enough.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
The presence of T.J., just for the SO, would give us a W.

When you look to the standings, with the games in hand, we have the same amount of points that PIT and NYR.

For the 5 next games, I'll be satisfied only with 5W, not 4. FIVE

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
I know some of you guys are still dreaming about top 6 wilson but being honest, I have no faith in Tom. And its not an overreaction after stretch of bad games or something, I just think he cant produce in offensive zone no matter if he plays with talents like ov and nicky or with scrubs in 4th line. He has like zero offensive instinct and we should stop getting crazy after every decent pass he made or shoot he took. At this point he is nothing more than Brooks laich 2.0 if we talk about secondary scoring (can we even name it secondary scoring?). And I dont really care about hits and grit at all. It cant win you a hockey game (ok, maybe sometimes it can) but definitely cant win you a cup.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not sure why they keep throwing Ovechkin out there for the SO. He is a ridiculously good goalscorer but he sucks in the SO's and that's been the case for few years. Never seems to score.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
actually, Alan May highlighted it last night. 77 would fix some of this mess. Sure sign he needs an extension sooner than later.

May also talked about the lack of identity and issues with the system and the way they're playing.

The answer is not always the guy who's injured. It's like how every football fan thinks the backup QB is going to save the team. Usually he's JAG who will be no better than the starter, maybe worse. In our case it manifests in our "glue guy" fantasies (Green, Laich, Beagle, Kuz, Oshie, etc). When they're out or slumping we imagine them returning to form and pushing us over the edge.

IF Kuz had played like a top 5 forward in the playoffs....IF Oshie had been in the shootout....

Every team has these IFs. There is no IF Cup. The guys who are playing have to do the work.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

This isn't a good look for Trotz. Once again effort over execution.

The Capitals looked painfully inadequate on offense and in transition. I guess Holtby and their defensive structure were pretty good (which it seems clear is what he cares about most) but when pretty much every single young player is struggling the blame falls on the coach.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

To an extent, yes. Their underlying numbers this year are actually better than they were last year. They're 4th in the league in CF% in all situations and 5th in 5-on-5. They're somehow 11th in GF60 at 5-on-5 even after getting blanked their last two games. They're 2nd in GA/60. The potential is seemingly there to be a contender.

It's pretty evident they have no confidence with the puck right now. They're either just endlessly cycling the puck or chucking it at the net from the point hoping it goes on. There's no assertiveness and seemingly no plan of attack and you can tell by watching that they don't actually expect to score. They bring no speed into the zone and are too easily herded into low danger areas. Whether that can be fixed by this coaching staff and this group of players remains to be seen.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
The fact that the Capitals appear to be a contender looking at advanced stats tells you a lot about their utility as the only measuring tool.

This team can't create a single quality scoring chance.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Tom Wilson is useful player. Paid about what such a player should be.

He's no Bobby Orr (c)

This problem is not remotely close to the top of the list.

On ice product sucks right now. There is still time to fix it and then reassess Wilson later.

Next question.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Is Vrana likely to stick around when Oshie returns? Trotz played him a lot last game so it seems he feel comfortable with him in a top 6 role for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad