Post-Game Talk: Caps @Bolts G5 7:15 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
You're talking like the Caps just lost the series and they're not coming back to Washington for game 6.

Literally every series that goes 6 games is a 3-2 series. The Caps are not in uncharted waters. Teams have won when in this position many, many times.

Again, it’s cool that you started following the Caps but normal rules don’t apply to this franchise. Always expect the worst

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Yeah. It’s kinda sad, but I agree with this. Used to watch non-Caps games regularly. Now I almost never do. Bettman’s parity is nothing more than cookie-cutter hockey. Just like the matching websites, the absurd light shows and constant blaring noise, the cheerleaders :cry:, and the in-game giveaways and intermission “entertainment”.

Vegas may be the ultimate expression of that vision. So of course they’ll win a championship in their first year.

I saw an interesting post in another thread - I think the one about "do Vegas deserve to win a Cup?" - somebody said the league had to at least make some changes to the expansion draft rules etc so that the Vegas team was competitive and not completely terrible as with previous expansion teams, in order for the franchise to gain a foothold in Vegas and not fail within a few short years. I tend to agree with that thought process - the only problem is the team has been WAY more successful than anybody expected them to be.
As I said before, I don't think the Caps would beat Vegas. The Lightning? Dunno about that either. Time and time again I've picked the other team to beat Vegas and here they are on the brink of the finals. It's really depressing.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
We should have played desperate urgent hockey from the drop of the puck. How could that not be the gameplan? I knew this was gonna be the way we played. So easy for Tampa..I dont get it, why is this organization so stupid. What a great opportunity blown.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I saw an interesting post in another thread - I think the one about "do Vegas deserve to win a Cup?" - somebody said the league had to at least make some changes to the expansion draft rules etc so that the Vegas team was competitive and not completely terrible as with previous expansion teams, in order for the franchise to gain a foothold in Vegas and not fail within a few short years. I tend to agree with that thought process - the only problem is the team has been WAY more successful than anybody expected them to be.
As I said before, I don't think the Caps would beat Vegas. The Lightning? Dunno about that either. Time and time again I've picked the other team to beat Vegas and here they are on the brink of the finals. It's really depressing.
Not picking on you, but I stridently reject this argument. It only makes sense if the goal was to manufacture an artificial market. And it was. No one in Vegas wanted a hockey team. The point of expansion is that you put a not-good team somewhere that there’s a sufficient neglected fanbase and then let it grow from there. Canada has many such places. But instead, Bettman puts teams in Arizona and Nevada. He learned from the Coyotes failure that to make this work at all you have to cheat at the expense of established franchises and fan bases. I say f*** that.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
You're talking like the Caps just lost the series and they're not coming back to Washington for game 6.

Literally every series that goes 6 games is a 3-2 series. The Caps are not in uncharted waters. Teams have won when in this position many, many times.
I'm just preparing myself for more of the same. If they come back and win this series I'll be ecstatic but the writing is on the wall.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Yeah. It’s kinda sad, but I agree with this. Used to watch non-Caps games regularly. Now I almost never do. Bettman’s parity is nothing more than cookie-cutter hockey. Just like the matching websites, the absurd light shows and constant blaring noise, the cheerleaders :cry:, and the in-game giveaways and intermission “entertainment”.
Even though I'm pushing being a 9 year HF member (lurked for 1-2 yrs b4 joining), this has been my most active year. Getting to know some of the frequent posters here better. No one agrees all the time, however it seems we're often on the same page.

I don't mind some of the light shows, more so before the games and especially playoff games. But agree about the constant loud noise, the cheap giveaways, and sometimes cringy intermission "acts". The cheerleaders are ok but I'm far removed from my teens/ twenties. Funny, I actually like the sport all on its own :rolleyes:

Vegas may be the ultimate expression of that vision. So of course they’ll win a championship in their first year.
Yep. I've had more than a few posts on that subject on the mains.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
rofl... still blaming the defense... their defense sucked as much as ours did... they won 3 games straight. Difference? Vasi made saves, Loltby did not. Different year, same Loltby.
Give it a rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Even though I'm pushing being a 9 year HF member (lurked for 1-2 yrs b4 joining), this has been my most active year. Getting to know some of the frequent posters here better. No one agrees all the time, however it seems we're often on the same page.

I don't mind some of the light shows, more so before the games and especially playoff games. But agree about the constant loud noise, the cheap giveaways, and sometimes cringy intermission "acts". The cheerleaders are ok but I'm far removed from my teens/ twenties. Funny, I actually like the sport all on its own :rolleyes:

Yep. I've had more than a few posts on that subject on the mains.
Me too. And the cheerleader thing is partly that it’s hard enough being taken seriously be teams when you’re female hockey fan. That felt like a huge setback right when women’s hockey was finally getting some attention.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
That’s what everyone said last year and they’ve already gone further than the previous two seasons.

Very true but I think this year they definitely over-achieved. Not saying they don't have another great season in them, but this team is trending down, not up. At least for the foreseeable future while the core ages. We have some promising young guys but I don't think any of them are going to become elite fast enough to keep the team from taking a step or two back the next couple years. So, this very well could end up being Ovi's only ECF appearance. I hope not but the window is getting smaller every year for 8

Reactions: JMUcapsfan07

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Backstrom was invisible today
I mean, it seems like a good bet he is playing with a broken hand. So there’s that. And if so, I give the man credit for suiting up and soldiering on.

On the other hand, I am not really sure where Eller’s game went. Maybe some fatigue, especially with all the extra work he got when 19 went down.

Our lineup looks tired and beaten right now. Would really love to see at least two of the following players in Game 6 - boyd, walker, gersich. Just for the speed and energy, if nothing else.

And i would pull 70 if he lets in 2 goals in first period again. I would have pulled him after the second goal today. There is now no room to be patient and wait for existing arrangement of players to try to find groove again. I hope our coaches are aggressive and proactive in game 6

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Very true but I think this year they definitely over-achieved. Not saying they don't have another great season in them, but this team is trending down, not up. At least for the foreseeable future while the core ages. We have some promising young guys but I don't think any of them are going to become elite fast enough to keep the team from taking a step or two back the next couple years. So, this very well could end up being Ovi's only ECF appearance. I hope not but the window is getting smaller every year for 8

I'm hoping this is #92's coming out party and he can play like this consistently going forward, which I hope will make up for the aging of Ovi and others. He's been brilliant.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Time and time again I've picked the other team to beat Vegas and here they are on the brink of the finals. It's really depressing.
It goes to show just how weak the league is at all levels. I've got to believe they'll win the Cup, mainly thanks to the consistency of their effort and coaching. What I find lacking in entertainment value isn't just the parity, which isn't that bad an idea in itself, but the lack of high level chemistry among high-end players on teams these days. Hockey sense has taken a back seat to pace and structure and it's much less entertaining. It's faster but defensive structure and protecting the house with hardly any elite players or elite lines consistently capable of changing that dynamic is boring. Crosby & Guentzel have had a run there but where are the dominant forward lines in the NHL? Boston has the Bergeron line but TBL pretty well shut them down (at least 5-on-5) and they're not overly dominant physically. The Caps have some very skilled players but are plagued by poor decision-making and little time-tested cohesion thanks to a spotty at best work ethic (and a value system that seems to only value it over anything else regardless) and ageing legs.

Reactions: RandyHolt and Heath

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
That's going to be my m.o. I have friends that can hardly stomach watching Caps playoff games on the telly :scared:

They've been in the metro DC area too long :eek:

I just hope that if the Caps lose in game 6 which I fully expect, that the fans give them a nice cheer at the end to send them off. I know it sucks and I'm usually really frustrated after losses and eliminations but these guys gave us a great season even if they fall short yet again.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I just hope that if the Caps lose in game 6 which I fully expect, that the fans give them a nice cheer at the end to send them off. I know it sucks and I'm usually really frustrated after losses and eliminations but these guys gave us a great season even if they fall short yet again.
I understand.

However I'm an optimist internally. Hope they win game 6.
Externally I give the opposite appearance. Should have seen me at game 3 :rant:

Reactions: CapsDC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad