Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Mike Weber (50% retained) for 3rd Rd Pick (2017)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
GMBM is a boss. Sooo much better than 2 2nds for Polak and Spalling.

I don't often disagre with you on things Caps and Skins related, but...I dunno. Polak is a lot better than Weber. Spaling would solve our 4th line depth issues. He was good in Pitts last year.

One of the 2nds was 2018. Thats similar to the 2017 3rd for time value of picks. I'd have done the TO deal, had we included Laich. But.... Who knows.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Seems fine to me. Even if the 3rd is overpayment, it's like paying extra 25c per gallon of gas when you're not sure where the next gas station is. Bearable :)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Warrior? We like warriors. He is this years version of Gleason a tough homer vet LD. I recently thought Carlson's injury lingering had BM thinking RD, but left it is. Schmidt maybe coming back to earth recently may have sealed the deal.

They waited as long as they could before signing Chorney. Get the longest look at him as possible, and then ink him when the risk of him possibly getting discontent starts.

Great moves by GMBM all around but the clearly his work is not yet done.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The chances of a 3rd round pick ever making the NHL?

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.

•From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent.

That's inexpensive to me.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Didn't like it for about 5 minutes. Then I thought about it, and now I like it.

There's a bigger chance that they regret not trading for an 8th defenseman for the playoffs than trading for one and having the 3rd rounder turn into something good.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Good deal, IMHO. Good insurance against injury and Weber is experienced and a tough customer. He also is not too old at 28 so he has lots of gas in the tank and I anticipate he'll be able to fill in where necessary.
Quite a few people on Japers' Rink/RMNB hate it, so it must be a good deal. Lol. (They are worried that Nate Schmidt is going to sit while Weber plays. Most of them hated Gleason so they are drawing parallels and making unwarranted assumptions.)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I've always advocated going aggressive on undrafted FAs to fill organizational depth holes for trades like this one.

Sign a Jay Beagle or a Nate Schmidt in two years and it's like you didn't even move the pick.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've always advocated going aggressive on undrafted FAs to fill organizational depth holes for trades like this one.

Sign a Jay Beagle or a Nate Schmidt in two years and it's like you didn't even move the pick.

I think the best organizations do what you're suggesting. Huge fan of this route of prospect farming.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't often disagre with you on things Caps and Skins related, but...I dunno. Polak is a lot better than Weber. Spaling would solve our 4th line depth issues. He was good in Pitts last year.

One of the 2nds was 2018. Thats similar to the 2017 3rd for time value of picks. I'd have done the TO deal, had we included Laich. But.... Who knows.

Polak may be better than Weber but he isn't better than any of the Caps current top six, and Chorney is a toss up.

Same goes for Spaling. Would rather have Laich or Latta any day over Spaling.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I've got a feeling GMBM is going to do something with Laich.

Love the Weber move. A 3rd in next years draft is well worth it. And he's 50% retained, you can't really complain about that.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I've got a feeling GMBM is going to do something with Laich.

Love the Weber move. A 3rd in next years draft is well worth it. And he's 50% retained, you can't really complain about that.

If it's not laich then it will be galiev. No way they touch Latta (based on everything I've seen, you take out Latta you end up hurting Wilson) obviously I'm not in locker room but those two are pretty much unseperable

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If it's not laich then it will be galiev. No way they touch Latta (based on everything I've seen, you take out Latta you end up hurting Wilson) obviously I'm not in locker room but those two are pretty much unseperable

Not only that but Latta brings more to the table than Galiev.
Regarding Weber, I don't see any scenario barring injury in which he plays above Schmidt. Nate has been a revelation this year, he's going to be a lot smoother in transition and much more efficient offensively.

Going from Schmidt to Weber makes the blue line a lot slower. Again, I don't expect Weber to get a ton of ice time. If he can kill penalties, block shots, deliver hits and protect Holtby, I'm very happy with him.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Polak may be better than Weber but he isn't better than any of the Caps current top six, and Chorney is a toss up.

Same goes for Spaling. Would rather have Laich or Latta any day over Spaling.

I see Polak as better than Schmidt. Pretty easy too. Right now. I'm not discussing potentials.

Spaling for peanuts over Laich and his offseason baggage all day, every day.

Beagle plays ahead of both as it is. I don't even know if Laich gets a sweater when Beagle comes back. Laich sucks. The only thing he isn't terrible at is PK, and again....Beagle is a lot better. Spaling has literally identical stats to Laich, while playing on a god awful team. Goals, assist, points, plus/minus.

I think you are just dead wrong in both comments.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Treat Weber well guys. I'm hoping he gets a nice big trophy at the end of the year with you guys.

He's a capable 3rd pairing D. Stay at home guy. Will stick up for teammates. Is a willing fighter, but eats fists like they're bacon. He won't win fights, but darned if he won't try.

As long as he's not pressed into large TOI, he'll be just fine for you guys.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Treat Weber well guys. I'm hoping he gets a nice big trophy at the end of the year with you guys.

He's a capable 3rd pairing D. Stay at home guy. Will stick up for teammates. Is a willing fighter, but eats fists like they're bacon. He won't win fights, but darned if he won't try.

As long as he's not pressed into large TOI, he'll be just fine for you guys.

Thanks. Sounds good.
I wish Buffalo well. I like the direction they are taking. Take your lumps now for future gain.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
Weber is a good 7th D-man but if he plays over Schmidt or Orlov it will be a disaster.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Good luck Weber and Caps. You'll get a blue collar guy who works his ass off. Don't expect anything fancy, and for god's sake keep the puck away from him, but he has always been a team first player and a good soldier.

Chances are he gets better in playoff hockey. We don't know because... Buffalo. ;)

I think Weber will work out fine as a backup defenseman for a good team. Take care of him for us.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
I think you guys will be happy with this one. Especially when the injuries start to pile up. I don't think that a 3rd is overpayment at all. Lets just say Weber holds more value for a team like the Caps as opposed to the Sabres. You will be very happy with him. Hopefully you guys win the cup this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad