Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Mike Weber (50% retained) for 3rd Rd Pick (2017)

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
yea it is kinda suspicious why they had buffalo retain 50 percent on the small contract but just guessing on my part

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
yea it is kinda suspicious why they had buffalo retain 50 percent on the small contract but just guessing on my part
According to GeneralFanager they couldn't take on Weber's full contract even if they wanted to. This gets the bare essentials squared away early and now they can focus on getting creative. Or ultimately it could be their only move.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Weber is a good #6-7 defender. Don't expect too much from him, but in sheltered minutes (which he will likely get with the Caps), he'll do well. He is gritty and physical and alright defensively, but brings nothing on offense. Just don't let him drop the gloves cuz he'll lose :laugh:

Good luck with him guys

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
MacLellan200x200.jpg

Apr 6, 2004
right, that makes sense.

For someone who was in his position, it's not so bad. He's on a potential cup winning team, more or less guaranteed some playing time next season and at a minimum he increased his trade value if he ultimately doesn't end up in the long-term plans here. I'd be a bit salty about potentially riding the pine in the playoffs but ain't all that bad for him.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Hey guys,

Sabres fans know what it's like to not have defensive depth during a long playoff run, because 2006. Weber is exactly what we needed then. He got a terrible rep with our fans because he spent the tank years playing in the top 4 on an awful team, but this season, he was utilized correctly in the 6/7 roll and played as well as you could ever expect a 6/7 to play. He's a warrior too, he'll bleed for a shot at the cup. I like the acquisition for you guys and for Webs, and I hope he positively contributes to a cup run, I know I'll be rooting for y'all too.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
People are trying to tell us how awful our new physical defensive defenseman is (after playing for Buffalo of all teams), and how awful this move is.
Reminds of someone else.
Okay depth move. Now improve Laich to an NHL level 4th liner or even Ladd, and we're set.

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
People are trying to tell us how awful our new physical defensive defenseman is (after playing for Buffalo of all teams), and how awful this move is.
Reminds of someone else.
Okay depth move. Now improve Laich to an NHL level 4th liner or even Ladd, and we're set.

Couldn't agree with this more. The time is now.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Good move by GMBM to acquire Mike Weber. Reasonable price considering the retention and I have more faith in him than Ness/Carrick/Stanton right now. Given Carlson's health concerns, Weber might have to play a few games in the RS and maybe in the playoffs too. After all, the Hawks won the Cup last year with Kyle Cumiskey playing 9 games in the playoffs.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I ****ing love it.

I was completely behind hiring GMBM, with the hope that he was fully aware of GMGMs mistakes and would correct them. So far, so great.

Now get Laich the **** out of here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad