Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Mike Weber (50% retained) for 3rd Rd Pick (2017)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Have to think he'll get some ice time these next few weeks tho. Needs to learn the system, and I imagine they'll want to see how he fits.

Maybe Carlson can get some rest and heal up more.

The Caps have those double back to backs coming up. I would imagine that Weber and Chorney will each get one in their. I would not expect Weber to play more than a handful of games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Cb79BH4XIAAOXgL.jpg

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I got a laugh out of select Sabres fans implying he sucked because he was scratched recently. Do they not realize there is a chance that their GM was not risking injury for a guy they clearly wanted to move, and that all other GMs already have the book on? Showcasing not needed for vet 6/7s.

Hmm. Now I don't know who to believe.

Weber was scratched for 3 games after his crap game against Ottawa on Jan. 26. Then he got benched for 5 games after the stunt he pulled against Florida on Feb. 9.

PS
crap game = playing as the top pair LHD with Ristolainen, Over 22 TOI, even rating in a 3-2 win.
stunt= scored a goal. 15 TOI, even rating in a 7-4 loss.

Just to make my point again. He scored a goal (even rating) then gets sat for 5 games. Doesn't make sense, right?

Anyway, glad to see Weber playing tonight. Hope you guys get healthy on defense before the playoffs though.

Jun 15, 2007
Last night Weber looked like a vision of Brooks Orpik from the future. Slow and terrible.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Those TOR kids were very fast, also this is what his second game?

Let's give the new guys a few games to get their feet wet before we hang em high ;)

The whole team looked slow and terrible to me last night tbh.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Weber looks slow next to the rest of the team. I don't know. People here who've played hockey--is he good at positioning himself at least?

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
WTF! He looks like a guy laying on the couch flipping channels. :laugh:

Probably why BMac targeted him.... ;)

I am not concerned about him in the slightest. Schmidt has come back to earth some. Even Chorney before his goal had seemed to be struggling lately. We need vet depth. Plus, we need to be built to handle all peons and punks that come along.

I think we will see him come in handy when we play the islanders and their late hitting 4th line.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Probably why BMac targeted him.... ;)

I am not concerned about him in the slightest. Schmidt has come back to earth some. Even Chorney before his goal had seemed to be struggling lately. We need vet depth. Plus, we need to be built to handle all peons and punks that come along.

I think we will see him come in handy when we play the islanders and their late hitting 4th line.

I'm not worried about Weber either, he won't make or break us. He seems to be decent at blocking shots so i'm hoping he improves once he gets comfortable in the team system/locker room.

Also I really think it's good we do some rotations and give some of our guys a rest who played big mins while Orpik/Carlson were out. Rest will be key before playoffs start, let those bodies heal a bit.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I haven't watched Weber for skating speed. He looks like he prefers to position himself no farther from the net as he needs to be. Sometimes it pays off well.

Contrast that with other new guy Winnik, who looks like a waterbug on the PK. Wow.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Contrast that with other new guy Winnik, who looks like a waterbug on the PK. Wow.
I noticed this as well. He has some good instincts and covers ice pretty well.

The PK is up to 4th now. With Richards, Beagle, Winnik, Oshie, Wilson, and Chimmer as the forwards...that's a pretty good group for the playoffs.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I noticed this as well. He has some good instincts and covers ice pretty well.

The PK is up to 4th now. With Richards, Beagle, Winnik, Oshie, Wilson, and Chimmer as the forwards...that's a pretty good group for the playoffs.

Pretty good? That's goddamn phenomenal. 6 very good PK forwards. Trotz was a magician spreading around total icetime between the 4 good dmen last postseason to keep everyone fresh. I expect the same for the forward group which should be huge in longer series and OT.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Some posters need to calm down a bit. It's not Shea Weber, it's Mike. A bottom pairing defenseman who played his 1st game for his new team. He was decent and will improve.

Jun 15, 2007
Talk about seeing what you want to see. He was one of the best defensemen on the ice against the Pens.

Okay? What does that have to do with what I wrote? You don't think there's a strong possibility Orpik will be slow and terrible near the end of his contract?

Jun 15, 2007
What you wrote suggested that Weber was NOW slow and terrible in your eyes.

Yes. Then he responded with him being the best defenseman against the Pens... and last night was Weber's first game. So I assume his issue was with what I said about Orpik, not Weber.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. Then he responded with him being the best defenseman against the Pens... and last night was Weber's first game. So I assume his issue was with what I said about Orpik, not Weber.

I think the issue was that you intimated that Weber was slow and terrible, nothing to do with some future Orpik version that may never come to fruition here.

Jun 15, 2007
But of course he was talking about Orpik seeing as Weber didn't play against the Penguins...Why don't we let AlexBrovechkin clarify...

And I didn't lay judgement on Weber's future performance here. Just last night's.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
But of course he was talking about Orpik seeing as Weber didn't play against the Penguins...Why don't we let AlexBrovechkin clarify...

And I didn't lay judgement on Weber's future performance here. Just last night's.

Weber did play against the Pens. He played 12+ minutes and was a +1. And Trotz called him one of the top 3 defensemen on the ice, which he was. My position is that Weber is going to be a great 6/7D. He is strong and physical and provides valuable depth for injuries like what we're dealing with now. I also am not worried about Orpik being a liability during the length of his contract. In years 4 and 5 he'll probably be 3LD and a PK stalwart.

Why don't you clarify your position?

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
My mistaken then. I didn't watch the Pens game and someone said last night was Weber's first game.

My position, to clarify, on Weber is that he didn't look good last night.

My position on Orpik is that possibly next season but more likely in the last two years of his contract he will significantly under perform his contract. We will have to either a)hope he gets drafted in an expansion draft b) move him in a Laich type deal c)hope we can LTIR him d) just deal with it if we are no longer contenders.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Of the D-Men that were moved at or near the TDL:
-Roman Polak
-John-Michael Liles
-Kris Russell
-Mike Weber
-Christian Ehrhoff
-Rob Scuderi
-Justin Schultz
Other than Weber the only other one I would have considered would have been Polak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad