Post-Game Talk: Caps 5 Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
True but I think the bad calls even out over the course of the season so no team is significantly the benefactor of calls overall. That's why I don't get hung up on the refs. Just check the other team's boards when the Jets win. I don't, but I'm sure there are lots of posts blaming the ref for the loss.

But I can see how bad calls are easy targets when we lose. My point here is we really weren't even close in this game so moving on.

Having said that, I thought the penalty shot call was weak. Lots of stickwork always happens when a defender is trailing on a breakaway. Pretty arbitrary when it gets called in my opinion and the goal in this case was a turning point because it pretty much put the game out of reach.

So I guess I did hate that call. But the Jets were not good enough last night. That's the bottom line for me.
So many bad calls against us to even score but we don’t get calls to get chance to even score. The blatant missed call on pld happened at 3 minutes. That’s plenty of time to get 2 if you get pp. we only played 3rd period, but so did Carolina and they took us into OT.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So many bad calls against us to even score but we don’t get calls to get chance to even score. The blatant missed call on pld happened at 3 minutes. That’s plenty of time to get 2 if you get pp. we only played 3rd period, but so did Carolina and they took us into OT.
I think the Jets are going to lose some calls if some guys keep going down so easy...There's a couple that look like World Cup soccer players at the first sign of contact. I blame the right handed goalie, been a nemesis of the Jets going back to Grant Fuhr.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
In other words, f**k Vegas.
Pancho Villa style:)

This sucks, i know it gives someone a opportunity to play but Maenalanen was playing well and was exactly what we needed . Big, hard working and hitting all the time. Hope he is able to come back sooner .
Big Sak is a good one. I think he generates a lot of "holy coelacanths, this bastard is huge" feels when he hits the ice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess we'll never know - I get the 3/4 nights but we had yesterday off and that should have allowed them a breather. Sounds like Wheels was referring to to B2B if I'm reading your post right - that's not really the same thing.
Regardless, it might be something else all together - maybe they just got shut down with that super obvious trap and it tool them 2 periods to figure out how to beat it.
Or, the Caps simply gave them more room with the 4 goal lead - their coach seemed to think so with that time out.
On to the next one

Bad game. Those are going to happen. The thing is that the bad game was the exception, not the rule. Don't make the same mistakes next time.

Been around

Jul 16, 2022
You know what folks, we're not gonna win em all...our team didn't come out flying like they know or should...it happens. On to the next game...im betting a jets win in regulation...jets are a good team and well coached this year...at least I think so..
And I just simply have faith in a team I love

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This team is all about bouncing back after losses. That puck was bouncing off our sticks all night long. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen us hit the other players skates/shins/sticks so many times when shooting/passing. Some credit to the Caps but when the puck os bouncing like that stop trying to make those same failed plays every time.
Had the Jets scored in the 2nd I think they could have changed the outcome of the game.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Stanley, Maenalanen , Appleton and Ehlers all out long term. The Jets depth is really going to be tested now, hopefully we find a diamond in the rough internally but if we don't i really would like Chevy to be manning the phones. I think this is a good team and would hate to have this season slip away because of injuries .

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Lol you and that goddamn thesis
That's mild language compared to how most students refer to them.

But the thesis is the only thing that matters in my life right now. Well, that and the Jets. And the BF, of course, matters. And my flight home next Monday is important. And my... Okay, so lots of things matter.

But the thesis hangs over your life and there's no escaping it. I expect there's a segment of the posters in here who have advanced degrees and can remember the roller coaster of earning one.

Of course, nothing compares to the roller coaster of pledging to one hockey team.....

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Stanley, Maenalanen , Appleton and Ehlers all out long term. The Jets depth is really going to be tested now, hopefully we find a diamond in the rough internally but if we don't i really would like Chevy to be manning the phones. I think this is a good team and would hate to have this season slip away because of injuries .

It's a tough time to make a deal - not a lot of teams out of it and the ones that are, are probably better served to push it to the TDL to get TDL prices. With Stanley out long term you're probably moving either a good pick or a Heinola for someone, which really limits the market.

It's not going to slip away right now. They've got a 7 point cushion on a playoff spot right now and have been winning without players like Stanley or Ehlers or Sak. Don't make a panic move in a race with Dallas.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

But the thesis is the only thing that matters in my life right now. Well, that and the Jets. And the BF, of course, matters. And my flight home next Monday is important. And my... Okay, so lots of things matter.

But the thesis hangs over your life and there's no escaping it. I expect there's a segment of the posters in here who have advanced degrees and can remember the roller coaster of earning one.

Of course, nothing compares to the roller coaster of pledging to one hockey team.....
What's a thesis? :naughty:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
They are all easily replaceable internally aside from Ehlers. In particular, Stanley's loss should give a much-needed opportunity to Heinola at some point.--ie a sustained run of games. Not much lost there and potentially a lot to be gained.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Messed up

well an actual bottom dweller in the central(arizona) beat the best team in the nhl(boston) 2 nights ago...

That's because the west is the best, baby

Reactions: Stumbledore

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I remember that feeling.

So, I decided to put all my free time into getting it done ASAP.

We were given two years and I got mine done in the first 6 months.

My profs were really cool and let me present early.

Was fun to coast through Year 4 without it hanging over my head.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
You realize that Pionk was on the ice for no goals against last night. He was on for one of the Jets goals, and was probably the best Jet defenseman last night. If you had him singled out after last night's 2nd period breakdown I'm not sure what you were watching...Schmidtty on the other hand, I think he might have had his worst game of the season defensively.
To be honest, I didn't notice that. (I did notice that he was a +1 though.) I try to watch the games objectively but I'm beginning to think that I've got an anti-Pionk bias. I'm not sure why but to me, one shift he'll play well and then he'll be out there and pinch at the wrong time or make a "what the heck was that" pass. Anyway, you're correct. By any metric (I just went to Moneypuck), Schmidt was the "least effective" Jets' D-man last night. However, I still think that Pionk made his usual share of mistakes and most of the fancy-schmancy stats suggest that both DeMelo and Morrissey were "measurably" better than Pionk, who in turn was better than Samberg, Dillon and (bringing up the rear) Schmidt. Thanks for pointing out a few things.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
To be honest, I didn't notice that. (I did notice that he was a +1 though.) I try to watch the games objectively but I'm beginning to think that I've got an anti-Pionk bias. I'm not sure why but to me, one shift he'll play well and then he'll be out there and pinch at the wrong time or make a "what the heck was that" pass. Anyway, you're correct. By any metric (I just went to Moneypuck), Schmidt was the "least effective" Jets' D-man last night. However, I still think that Pionk made his usual share of mistakes and most of the fancy-schmancy stats suggest that both DeMelo and Morrissey were "measurably" better than Pionk, who in turn was better than Samberg, Dillon and (bringing up the rear) Schmidt. Thanks for pointing out a few things.
Hard to own our bias. Interesting Samberg a rookie was better than 2 of our vets.
We really need to try Perfetti on 1st pp if we are going to that sorted out and deadly. I wonder who you bump. Do you need 2 net presence guys? Do you bump Wheeler, kfc or Schief?

They are all easily replaceable internally aside from Ehlers. In particular, Stanley's loss should give a much-needed opportunity to Heinola at some point.--ie a sustained run of games. Not much lost there and potentially a lot to be gained.
Stan was playing really well. Still waiting for Heinola to show anything at nhl level.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Hard to own our bias. Interesting Samberg a rookie was better than 2 of our vets.
We really need to try Perfetti on 1st pp if we are going to that sorted out and deadly. I wonder who you bump. Do you need 2 net presence guys? Do you bump Wheeler, kfc or Schief?

Stan was playing really well. Still waiting for Heinola to show anything at nhl level.
I'd be tempted to move Wheeler off of the 1st PP. After a slow start, he's having a darn good season to date. However, he still fumbles and looses the puck at inopportune times which isn't the best on the PP. Bumping him might cause a bit of dissention though. A though call for the HC.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd be tempted to move Wheeler off of the 1st PP. After a slow start, he's having a darn good season to date. However, he still fumbles and looses the puck at inopportune times which isn't the best on the PP. Bumping him might cause a bit of dissention though. A though call for the HC.
Wheeler is playing great. No one is taking anything away from him, but, Perfetti is quickly becoming the best playmaker on the team and he’s almost as good at zone entry as Ehlers.
Would love to see more Perfetti and kfc. Best sniper and best playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad