Post-Game Talk: Caps 5 Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
I hate how much of a cherry-picker Ovechkin has become where he only scores on empty nets.
Eh, that just tells me he's pretty much done. Just shooting blanks these days.

Onward Jets - lets regroup and kill the next game.

Pancho_Villa_Riding_1914.jpg
In other words, f**k Vegas.

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
The second period was mildly disturbing. Why is it I always know when the Jets are going to pull a dud out. I have no problem with the odd loss, it’s going to happen now and again. However portions of that game we’re of much concern.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I don't know why, but it really annoys me when an Eastern team, comes to our side of the continent, and the Jets lay an egg. Pretty sad showing that a bottom dweller in the east beats the top central team.

But, onto the next one. Can't be too mad given how the Jets are having a good season overall.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If you are going to lose better to lose 2 point games than 4 point games. Caps looked hungrier for parts of this game. There's still some talent and depth on that team, getting healthier they could get themselves back in the playoff conversation.

I'm starting to worry about Sam Gagner a bit. Early in the season he had a knack for getting some key goals, but lately it's been his poor defensive reads that stand out. I know he'll get his 1000th game in a Jets uni, which is something to be proud of, and if the team gets healthy he'll probably sit more than play, but Bowness has to be a little frustrated with his defensive details right now.

The one head scratcher for me is why Flowby has been pulled off the PK. I thought the rotation of 6 forwards was going well... With Barron coming back, and playing strong, and Maenalanen in the lineup, I could understand his demotion somewhat, but I thought the guy was brought over for his PKing abilities. Is he fighting an injury that prevents him from playing in that role? The 5 forward rotation maybe cost the Jets a goal last night...

On the positive side Lowry and his linemates sure did give Ovechkin's line a good run...I hate seeing Ovechkin cherry picking his way to Gretzky's record. Not that Gretzky didn't cherry pick his way to a record either...Perfetti continues to impress.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't know why, but it really annoys me when an Eastern team, comes to our side of the continent, and the Jets lay an egg. Pretty sad showing that a bottom dweller in the east beats the top central team.

But, onto the next one. Can't be too mad given how the Jets are having a good season overall.
well an actual bottom dweller in the central(arizona) beat the best team in the nhl(boston) 2 nights ago...

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
A strangely quiet post-game thread. That 2nd period might have been one of the worst periods that I've seen the Jets play. I realize that the Caps were playing well but I'm concerned that some of our D-men (Hello, Mr. Pionk) have less than average hockey IQs. Anyway, on to the next game. Go Jets Go!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
A strangely quiet post-game thread. That 2nd period might have been one of the worst periods that I've seen the Jets play. I realize that the Caps were playing well but I'm concerned that some of our D-men (Hello, Mr. Pionk) have less than average hockey IQs. Anyway, on to the next game. Go Jets Go!
You realize that Pionk was on the ice for no goals against last night. He was on for one of the Jets goals, and was probably the best Jet defenseman last night. If you had him singled out after last night's 2nd period breakdown I'm not sure what you were watching...Schmidtty on the other hand, I think he might have had his worst game of the season defensively.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Inanna

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
This one sucked. Every team from top to bottom has a game like this periodically. If it becomes a trend I'd be worried, but the Jets have shown to be pretty resilient so far this season. While some of the non-calls in the third piss me off, the Jets put themselves in that position with a mediocre 1st, and horrible 2nd.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This sucks, i know it gives someone a opportunity to play but Maenalanen was playing well and was exactly what we needed . Big, hard working and hitting all the time. Hope he is able to come back sooner .
Crazy that Stanley came back and took another shift at first.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Turned this game off 1/2 way through the second. This team still has issues with slow starts and sometimes not showing up at all. Games like this make you hope that the good play for most of the season isn’t a mirage and they don’t revert to what ever this was.
I haven't seen a concerning trend in this area - yet. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

I look for losing streaks of 3 or more games and then the circumstances around them (eg schedule / injuries).

For example, last year we had 6 losing streaks of between 3 to 6 games. Two of those losing streaks were during Maurice's short tenure to start the year, and the other four were under Dave. The previous season, we slipped into the postseason, but right before that we had lost 9 out of 10 games down the stretch a few games before the end of the regular season. That's bad news that can't be ignored.

This year, we have had one (1) two game losing streak. I don't even consider a two game losing streak to really be a 'losing streak'. That's going to happen a few times a year to even really good teams. 3 games in a row is a losing streak from my point of view. That's just how I look at things.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
You realize that Pionk was on the ice for no goals against last night. He was on for one of the Jets goals, and was probably the best Jet defenseman last night. If you had him singled out after last night's 2nd period breakdown I'm not sure what you were watching...Schmidtty on the other hand, I think he might have had his worst game of the season defensively.
Schmidt is a question mark in my books. I would think of all dmen he is replaceable but the organization loves him. He seems like a character guy but too many costly mistakes and does not score enough to make up for them

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This sucks, i know it gives someone a opportunity to play but Maenalanen was playing well and was exactly what we needed . Big, hard working and hitting all the time. Hope he is able to come back sooner .
The thing that hurts the most is if it was a shoulder injury that might have a long term impact on his play style.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
They didn’t lose it. Jets lost it, but, they didn’t call a fair game by nhl standards. By nhl standards when one team is behind they are supposed to get more calls like all teams we are beating.
True but I think the bad calls even out over the course of the season so no team is significantly the benefactor of calls overall. That's why I don't get hung up on the refs. Just check the other team's boards when the Jets win. I don't, but I'm sure there are lots of posts blaming the ref for the loss.

But I can see how bad calls are easy targets when we lose. My point here is we really weren't even close in this game so moving on.

Having said that, I thought the penalty shot call was weak. Lots of stickwork always happens when a defender is trailing on a breakaway. Pretty arbitrary when it gets called in my opinion and the goal in this case was a turning point because it pretty much put the game out of reach.

So I guess I did hate that call. But the Jets were not good enough last night. That's the bottom line for me.

Reactions: Stumbledore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad