Post-Game Talk: Caps 5 Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, it was - but they found their legs in the 3rd so they could have had them in the 1st.
I'm not going to sweat it - you don't win them all - but they need to be consistent in how they play.
These little reminders of how they need to come out to the gate, will help them down the road.
I remember earlier this year where sean reynolds was talking to wheeler and mentioned that the team started out slow and got better throughout the game and he thought that was odd that it went like that on a b2b and wheeler told him he felt that you don't have your legs to start the game but then the adrenaline/energy of the game kicks in and you can get going, so if wheeler is right then I don't really think the we did it in the 3rd we could have done it in the first applies

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Thanks @The Blue Baron for the great GDT today, too bad the Jets had to go and spoil it for you...

12ecft.jpg

Another one of those games that remind me of last year's team...The Jets need to stop living in the past and play for the future...

gettyimages-951396638.jpg

The Prediction Contest thread for the game against Vegas has now been posted if you would like to check it out. Don't forget to sign up for your very own GDT, it's a lot of fun and there are plenty of games still available. @Ginger Papa is up next for the game against the Golden Showers...

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Jets played like shyte for two thirds of the game. Refs didn’t lose it. They did.
don't really see anyone claiming differently, just pointing out that they decided to not call anything at the end

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I remember earlier this year where sean reynolds was talking to wheeler and mentioned that the team started out slow and got better throughout the game and he thought that was odd that it went like that on a b2b and wheeler told him he felt that you don't have your legs to start the game but then the adrenaline/energy of the game kicks in and you can get going, so if wheeler is right then I don't really think the we did it in the 3rd we could have done it in the first applies
I guess we'll never know - I get the 3/4 nights but we had yesterday off and that should have allowed them a breather. Sounds like Wheels was referring to to B2B if I'm reading your post right - that's not really the same thing.
Regardless, it might be something else all together - maybe they just got shut down with that super obvious trap and it tool them 2 periods to figure out how to beat it.
Or, the Caps simply gave them more room with the 4 goal lead - their coach seemed to think so with that time out.
On to the next one

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Now that I got that ref rant out of the way it's time for the review.

The team looked sluggish until the third when they got an energy boost somehow. I'm not going to be too hard on them, 3 in 4 and 6 in their last 10. That's a tough schedule and I think it caught up to them tonight. Give the Caps credit they came out hard and played well and capitalized on our mistakes. I will say this, Ovie is an absolute shell of his former self and all he does is float around the ice looking for goals. I'd be livid if he were on my team, record or no record. All he knows how to do is score empty net goals these days anyhow.

Helle, can't fault him on any of the goals tonight. He played well enough to gey us a win most nights.

They switched the d up tonight so I'll just go through them individually:

JoMo - Had a disjointed night like all our guys. Made some uncharacteristic mistakes but also some great plays. I expect he'll be better next game.

Pionk - I thought he was really sloppy through two periods especially in his end. Some real bad breakouts and some real off decision making. Not too bad going forward but was trigger happy again.

Schmidt: I thought he was sub par tonight. For an offensive dmen he was sure fighting the puck and looking really indecisive in the ozone. When he wasn't flinging unscreened shots to the net he was making the wrong reads and dumps. He also was off in his end.

DeMelo - He wasn't noticeable which is usually a good thing.

Dillion - played a hard game but was maybe a step too slow tonight like most.

Samberg was real up and down. I saw some things I liked and some I didn't. He seems to always play some wild type game after being out for a few. Probably why I don't like having youbg players sit games.

Top line: I thought Perfetti and Wheeler both played pretty well. They were in hard on pucks, won them and went to the right areas. Both had a number of good looks but neither had much finish tonight. I thought Cole should have looked to shoot a bit more, someone who wasn't there live will have to tell me what he was looking to do on that play where he got it and was able to walk it in close. I was on the other side of the rink and it looked like he walked in and tried to cross seam to Blake instead of ripping it on net. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I thought Mark was just off offensively tonight. It didn't appear to me that he had his MOJO going. He was turning the wrong way, not being decisive in the ozone and was getting knocked off pucks far more easily than usual. Everyone has off day so not too concerned.

Second line: Took Conner and Dubois two periods to get going but they had a good third. Dubois started skating with the puck and playing more direct which opened things up. Conner with a nice pass on the goal but I still am shaking my head on how the Caps had 4 men in deep in our end when up 4. Mike with another hard played game. He took some punishment today but just kept going at it. He really is quite skilled at stealing pucks on the wall and keeping plays alive. Unfortunately his lack of top six skills shined through at times too where he miss fired on passes and shots.

Third line. They scored a nice goal and had some chances but I thought Harkins was back to trying to be too fancy. He put his line offside trying to make silly lateral move on the blue line. He needs to keep it simple. Lowry seems to alternate between good and crap offensive years and he's having a good one. Barron is a hard player to get a read on. He looks completely disjointed half the time but things still tend to go his way and he gets good looks and is successful getting pucks out etc.

Fourth line was crap tonight. Got hemmed most of the game and got scored on twice on real bad blown coverage plays.

Pp was also crap today as the groups were static or couldn't even setup.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Don't think the Jets were getting a call in the 3rd period short of a near homicide occurring on the ice. The no call on Dubois nearly made my spit out my drink. The reffing was an absolute clown show tonight.

Hardly the reason the team lost, though. Can't show up for one period and expect a result against a team who is committed to a defensive system and will contest every inch of ice.

Interested to see the response from the squad in a massive game against Vegas on Tuesday night.
Very well said. Vegas will be a true test not sure if it is massive but definitely important measuring stick

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fair enough but they are professional athletes and have 16 games this month. And it’s not the loss but how they lose. Does this team not have an issue showing up for games in the first period.

Every team losses games like tonight when they are mentally fatigued.

I didn't see an effort issue, I saw a team that was a step behind mentally and had lead legs. Usual plays the team makes didn't work as their lack of legs didn't allow them to win the races they usually do. A lot of the mistakes were due to poor decision making and that is more pronounced when your fatigued. As they got their legs going they started making more plays.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Didn't get on the scoreboard but I'm loving Perfetti's progression, not just passing but shooting more and even threw a few hits tonight
Perfetti looked really solid out there, and looks like a seasoned vet, the way he handles the puck with no panic, and sets up plays. He's starting to shoot a lot more right now as well, and has a great shot. He's going to be a big star for the Jets.

Add to that, when Ehlers gets back around February, we'll be a very tough team to beat.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Obviously not a great start and a pretty piss-poor second period, but yeah, the Capitals went into full trap-mode in the third, and were obstructing and clutching like crazy. Like consistently, for the entire period - it was gross.

What as an opposing team are you supposed to do if the refs are not going to call those penalties? What can you do against the trap if the refs won't let you skate - it's the only way it can be beaten. How many times did we try to dump it in and skate by the defence, only to have our players without the puck cut off with pick plays, clutches, sloughfoots or hooks?

The Jets didn't play great, but that third period was some grade A bullshit.

Didn't get on the scoreboard but I'm loving Perfetti's progression, not just passing but shooting more and even threw a few hits tonight
He's beginning to believe he belongs (and he does).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad