Post-Game Talk: CAPS 4 jets 1

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
wilson, backstrom, brown, hagelin, oshie + fehervary and beck
vs
ehlers, wheeler, perfetti, schmidt, appleton, menalainen, stanley + you could count a 4.5ish player with the capspace we didn't use to start the year
lol why would you count cap space for injuries?! Stanley being out isn't really a loss at all given his inconsistent play and menalianen is a fringe player.

This is what happens when you cram so many games in such a small period and have 2 teams play a b2b with travel.

The NHL doesnt have a clue. I've seen better Jr b games
All teams deal with a crammed portion of the schedule, not just the Jets.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
lol why would you count cap space for injuries?! Stanley being out isn't really a loss at all given his inconsistent play and menalianen is a fringe player.
and Beck and Brown aren’t fringe players? You are a lot kinder to their fringe players than ours, just saying!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I turned tonight's game off at 3-0, my premonition told me how it was going to end. You can't fault the team for being tired. My favourite part of the game was Scheifele's emotion in getting screwed by the refs. You play so hard to have all the breaks go against you, it's frustrating, that's the human and competitive aspect of the game.

I don't really have any opinions on any player, except one. The new Karson Kuhlman? To me it seems like he is making a lot of mistakes out there. Stick infraction, turnovers, coverage. I mean it's a new system, but I'm starting to wonder if the Jets wouldn't have been better off calling up Krisitan Reichel...Same kind of player. Kuhlman might turn out to be a waiver rental, I don't really see him as better than anyone in the lineup. Especially once guys get healthy. Definitely think it was a mistake to put him on Scheifele's line, I think that's a part of Scheif's frustration trying to get the job done without his wingman.

Good time of the year for some rest and relaxation. I hope everyone has a good Holiday, and something to be grateful for. And I hope the Jets come out recharged and rejuvenated, there's still a lot of hockey to play, and the underdogs still have a lot to prove.
Kuhlman’s inability to dump the puck or better yet dish it to Morrissey’s side (who was open with a good lane to the net) directly led to the 3rd goal against. The Jets had a decent push in the 3rd period and had they only been down by 1 after stenlunds goal I think we would have had a shot to get things to OT.

I know we can’t go Connor-Dubois-Scheifele for any length of time with the current lineup but I didn’t mind that in the 3rd as a way to maybe get a goal and give Mark a break from playing with plugs (apologies to Barron).

Can Pionk play forward?
Would that be better than some choices?
Seems like we have better depth available to cover on D.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I know we can’t go Connor-Dubois-Scheifele for any length of time with the current lineup but I didn’t mind that in the 3rd as a way to maybe get a goal and give Mark a break from playing with plugs (apologies to Barron).

Can Pionk play forward ?
I don't know if Pionk can play forward, but maybe he could. I think Morrissey could play forward and be great at that position, if they become depleted at that forward position. It's something I've posted before, and would give this some thought if I was the Coach. Josh is more of a hybrid type of defenseman, with great offensive and defensive qualities. I believe he leads the Jets in scoring.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Kuhlman’s inability to dump the puck or better yet dish it to Morrissey’s side (who was open with a good lane to the net) directly led to the 3rd goal against. The Jets had a decent push in the 3rd period and had they only been down by 1 after stenlunds goal I think we would have had a shot to get things to OT.

Can Pionk play forward?

Pionk can barely play his own position at this point.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Absolutely, but that doesn't make it smart.

Would football go to 2 games a week? Never, because there would be tons of injuries and the product would be trash.

The NHL is cutting off its nose despite it's face. If they reduced the schedule by just a few games the product would get measurably better.

I'd also say in years past, even Olympic years, I haven't seen such a dogshit schedule that included:

10 games in 16 days
2 B2B's
east coast - west coast
2nd half of a B2B 22 hours later with travel

This is the worst I've ever seen it and considering how light our schedule was to start the season they have to get better at scheduling.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Pionk can barely play his own position at this point.
That's sort of my point. He has some offensive skills and switching him to forward temporarily would have less of a negative impact on the D and he may be able to contribute better with Scheifele than Kuhlman, AJ and others may be able to.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I don't know if Pionk can play forward, but maybe he could. I think Morrissey could play forward and be great at that position, if they become depleted at that forward position. It's something I've posted before, and would give this some thought if I was the Coach. Josh is more of a hybrid type of defenseman, with great offensive and defensive qualities. I believe he leads the Jets in scoring.
I agree that Josh would likely make a better forward than Pionk but he is also our best defenseman. I think Pionk would have less negative impact on the D by not playing as a D for a couple of weeks. I also think there's a chance that Pionk could contribute more with Scheifele than a handful of our forwards have.

Reactions: GNP

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Merry Christmas Jets Fans!:xcheers:
Merry Christmas Blue Baron

abd71247759be57195b872a58597288d.gif

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree that Josh would likely make a better forward than Pionk but he is also our best defenseman. I think Pionk would have less negative impact on the D by not playing as a D for a couple of weeks. I also think there's a chance that Pionk could contribute more with Scheifele than a handful of our forwards have.
how often does turning a D to Fwd ever happen? this is one of the discussion forums where i've seen this for a a few of our players, it hardly ever happens.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
how often does turning a D to Fwd ever happen? this is one of the discussion forums where i've seen this for a a few of our players, it hardly ever happens.
Buff and Burns are the two main ones that come to mind, both worked poorly. Apart from that it's mostly just 7th defensemen playing on the 4th line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Buff and Burns are the two main ones that come to mind, both worked poorly. Apart from that it's mostly just 7th defensemen playing on the 4th line.
Yeah so 2x in how many years? Both players I'd label superior talents to pionk as well.

I can't remember if it was neal, or one of his bros that played some fwd prior to neal making it into the nhl. Anyway I think the chances of it happening are V slim.

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
So if we moved Pionk to F as suggested we'd end up with a $6M 4th liner. Great :thumbu:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’m not suggesting a permanent change. An emergency situation for a game or 2 if we end up in the spot we were in for the Caps game. The Jets would be better off with 7 D and 11 forwards (however you deploy them) than they were with the 12 forwards we iced the other night.

If Scheifele has to continue to play with 4th liners on either side of him for long he is going to get overly frustrated and we may lose some of the good Scheif this season has brought out.

If Perfetti is back then you wouldn’t need to do this. But if we only have 3 of the top 6 forwards available then everything could be on the table.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’m not suggesting a permanent change. An emergency situation for a game or 2 if we end up in the spot we were in for the Caps game. The Jets would be better off with 7 D and 11 forwards (however you deploy them) than they were with the 12 forwards we iced the other night.

If Scheifele has to continue to play with 4th liners on either side of him for long he is going to get overly frustrated and we may lose some of the good Scheif this season has brought out.

If Perfetti is back then you wouldn’t need to do this. But if we only have 3 of the top 6 forwards available then everything could be on the table.
So one line and 3 checking lines.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So if we moved Pionk to F as suggested we'd end up with a $6M 4th liner. Great :thumbu:
Pionk has more offensive talent than about half our forwards (it seems). For one game it seems a better option than running known 4th liners with Scheifele. The coaches would have much better idea of if that is viable or not.

I’m not in any way suggesting that Pionk be converted into a forward for anything other than an emergency (Washington line up) situation.

#91 playing alleviates that issue.
It’s also the trade off of having Samberg/Heinola/Capobianco in the lineup to replace Pionk. If he can provide more of a spark for that game than the available forwards, then it could work for a game.

So one line and 3 checking lines.
Didn’t we already have that?

Reactions: robertocarlos

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Pionk has more offensive talent than about half our forwards (it seems). For one game it seems a better option than running known 4th liners with Scheifele. The coaches would have much better idea of if that is viable or not.

I’m not in any way suggesting that Pionk be converted into a forward for anything other than an emergency (Washington line up) situation.

#91 playing alleviates that issue.
It’s also the trade off of having Samberg/Heinola/Capobianco in the lineup to replace Pionk. If he can provide more of a spark for that game than the available forwards, then it could work for a game.

Didn’t we already have that?
But May as well make it official and allow Schief to play with pld and Connor. Hopefully Ehlers comes back soon. Than we can have 2 lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad