Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Leafs - 3/16/14 3:00 PM Caps Win 4-2

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Maybe... Doesn't believe... in the system? Who knows... but drop of in his creativity with the puck is apperent.

Considering the coach de-emphasizes creativity with the puck in favor of dumping and chasing, it's not surprising that he is no longer creative with the puck.

Right now, who is creative with the puck? Kuznetsov. He's the only one. Why? Because he hasn't been brainwashed by Oates yet.

Ovechkin comes down the RW with the puck, immediately gets trapped against the boards, and because he's playing out of position he has nowhere to go. He stops, flings a pass to nobody, and the first line is back to playing defense again, which they do so spectacularly.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Considering the coach de-emphasizes creativity with the puck in favor of dumping and chasing, it's not surprising that he is no longer creative with the puck.

Right now, who is creative with the puck? Kuznetsov. He's the only one. Why? Because he hasn't been brainwashed by Oates yet.

Ovechkin comes down the RW with the puck, immediately gets trapped against the boards, and because he's playing out of position he has nowhere to go. He stops, flings a pass to nobody, and the first line is back to playing defense again, which they do so spectacularly.

I'm trying to decide which Ovy I want, the LW version who the last time we saw, was reduced to a 30g scorer and fumbled the puck stickhandling seemingly every time he touched it, or the 50g scoring RW version you described above.....hmmm.....

Seriously though...I'm afraid you swap him back and his play is no different. Then what, accept that he is what he's become?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's a difference between an excuse and a reason. His D play... and really his overall play... have fallen off a cliff. Trying to find out why that's the case is a legitimate exercise, even if it's just speculation.

Also, sometimes fathers share the child-rearing, even when the mother stays home. Just saying.

OK, let's just say I don't think it's a valid reason, and YES, I'm a parent and I've dealt with it. I pull night duty 99% of the time....

Ovy's become one dimensional, Backstrom seems in a funk.....I'll take Dysfunctional Soul Crushing Organization for $1000 Alex!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think no matter why a caps player fails to live up to expectations we can blame McPhee. If its showing less interest in his profession because of kids or too much losing or too many migranes or too much migrane meds....its McPhee's fault.

if gmgm doesn't return maybe backstrom will pirk up. if not....trade him with laich and brouwer and green for some cap space and the new gm should be able to built an immediate cup winner.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Went to the game on Sunday. Had a great time.

The Good:

Joel Ward, Jason Chimera, Fehr. Third line was the best/most consistent line for the Caps in all zones. Scored two garbage goals, won battles in front of the net and along the boards.

Mike Green played a good game. He was good on the power play. He got caught out of a position a couple times, but he was pretty solid. I don't think he is going to be the same player he was before the injuries..but he's a serviceable middle pairing defensemen. I hate saying that because he was legitimately a scary force to play against when he was healthy. I hope he can somehow get back to that.

Halak was fighting the puck, but he came through with big saves in the 2nd.

I'm looking forward to the growth of Tom Wilson, he doesn't take any **** from anyone. He plays physical. Had a couple of good chances.

The Power Play seemed to be using Ovechkin's shot as a decoy, which opened up the middle of the ice and site of the net. Good strategy. With Penner and Kuznetsov, the Caps should be able to run two effective Power Play units.

The Bad:

Hillen, he seemed to slow and small to play in the NHL. Orlov is a good player, but he gets overly ambitious with the puck. Carlson is a 1st pairing defensemen, but he is not the 1a guy.

The whole team goes through large stretches where they are careless with the puck. Its infuriating. I'm a Panther fan so I have a PhD in bad hockey. And the 2nd period was horrible. Maybe it was the penalties or Toronto pushing that made the Caps play poorly, but I saw some horrible turnovers. Very frustrating to watch.

If Ovechkin just hits the net on 3 more shots a game, that prevents 3 more turnovers. His shots are so hard that if they miss the net, they are hitting the boards and clearing the zone. I'm not a huge fan of him playing the point on the power play when the team has a lead.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I'm trying to decide which Ovy I want, the LW version who the last time we saw, was reduced to a 30g scorer and fumbled the puck stickhandling seemingly every time he touched it, or the 50g scoring RW version you described above.....hmmm.....

Seriously though...I'm afraid you swap him back and his play is no different. Then what, accept that he is what he's become?

The reason he's scoring 50G now is because the PP is so good, and because he, individually, is so good on the PP. How many goals has he actually scored coming in off the RW this year? 3?

At the very least, his passing and vision was infinitely better off the LW. Even now, almost all of his good passes come when he switches over to LW. There are also far better shooting angles.

Switch him back to LW and continue to emphasize him NOT carrying the puck into the zone all the time and he'll be better than he is now. All of his even strength goals come off of faceoffs, rebounds, or when he switches over to LW himself.

Take into account how bare we are on the LW compared to RW and it's extremely logical to switch him back, but we know Oates doesn't operate on logic.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
OK, let's just say I don't think it's a valid reason, and YES, I'm a parent and I've dealt with it. I pull night duty 99% of the time....

Ovy's become one dimensional, Backstrom seems in a funk.....I'll take Dysfunctional Soul Crushing Organization for $1000 Alex!

Excuses! Ok ok. A valid reason if there was one, but you see my point.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The reason he's scoring 50G now is because the PP is so good, and because he, individually, is so good on the PP. How many goals has he actually scored coming in off the RW this year? 3?

At the very least, his passing and vision was infinitely better off the LW. Even now, almost all of his good passes come when he switches over to LW. There are also far better shooting angles.

Switch him back to LW and continue to emphasize him NOT carrying the puck into the zone all the time and he'll be better than he is now. All of his even strength goals come off of faceoffs, rebounds, or when he switches over to LW himself.

Take into account how bare we are on the LW compared to RW and it's extremely logical to switch him back, but we know Oates doesn't operate on logic.

I understand the potential positives a switch back to left wing brings. I'm more concerned with the massive negatives the last time he played there regularly. I remember fairly pedestrian NHL D's snuffing out Ovy's normally deadly shots off LW. I guess it couldn't hurt to try anything with this sinking ship.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No one wanted Ovi at RW before I did - after game 1 vs Montreal. But I said and still say he should play on both sides. Why limit him to one side? Maybe a team we are facing has all their weak links at RD. Move his ass over! Is it really that hard to figure out?

Keep defenses guessing, keep his game fresh, and make our offense more dynamic.

Oates likes a methodical static approach to almost everything. I think he thinks hockey is about outsmarting your opponent, when in reality, its mostly just hard work. Sure, come playoff time, coaches have to be smart because regular season checkers is now chess, but the players don't have to be. They just need to be in places to succeed and motivated to do so. Someone please tell him.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I understand the potential positives a switch back to left wing brings. I'm more concerned with the massive negatives the last time he played there regularly. I remember fairly pedestrian NHL D's snuffing out Ovy's normally deadly shots off LW. I guess it couldn't hurt to try anything with this sinking ship.

That was the worst Ovechkin we've ever seen. And it's not like we're risking his huge RW production. He scores nothing from there, and that idea that C/LW convert his passes better, well, failed miserably.

Ovechkin is a much better LW than RW. End of story.

Oates likes a methodical static approach to almost everything. I think he thinks hockey is about outsmarting your opponent, when in reality, its mostly just hard work. Sure, come playoff time, coaches have to be smart because regular season checkers is now chess, but the players don't have to be. Someone tell him.
Can't say a lot of Adam's actions scream "smart coaching" :)

Liberati0n*

That had nothing to do with his position, beyond the fact that it was where he had learned habits. That was because he was tasked with being or allowed to be the primary puck carrier through the neutral zone/into the offensive zone. The one good thing Oates has done for him at ES is limit that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Ovechkin belongs on the right side then why is he on the left side on the PP? I know this sounds like a simple question with an obvious answer, but think about what that answer implies: he is more dangerous from the left side.

The problem is, and has been, twofold when he's a LW:

1) He's most often the one entering the zone with the puck.
2) He tries the same 1 or 2 staple moves and defenses have adjusted.

So instead of throwing it all out and moving him to the other side, where he's obviously less effective as a shooter, why not fix those two things?

Solution: Better linemates and defensemen who can create a team rush/transition, and expand Ovechkin's options.

Ovie floats and cherrypicks and slacks on the backcheck for sure. He does it to try and head up ice quickly and get a scoring chance on the rush, obviously. Why? Because that's part of what he does and even if you score once out of every 3 or 4 rushes you're still scoring at a higher than average clip based on shot percentages. You want those rushes.

But his floating hampers the team defense based on system and roster as it stands, and makes it hard for the other forwards to join the rush if they're expected to be doing all the backchecking (which they don't always do, see #19 getting lazier).

How do you fix it?

It all starts with system and the defensemen. If you have strong d-men who don't need as much help from the forwards and a system that allows those forwards to play higher, then you don't always suffer when Ovechkin floats and the other forwards are more likely to join the rush or even lead it. The next step is go get at least one player on the top line with a similar style, speed, passing and finishing ability so he's not the only threat on the ice and has others who can jump into the rush.

That creates more options for Ovechkin which makes his left wing shot more valuable and useful, especially if he's receiving a pass instead of just trying his pet moves to get a shot off. Defenses also have to respect the pass more instead of just blocking his shot, which means more time and space.

So yes, TX, you can also blame McPhee. He hired the coaches that don't know how to use Ovechkin and who keep changing his role when it was never broken to begin with. GMGM lucked into a lottery pick that carries the team on his back year after year, and in the process for 15 years has failed to replenish a Cup Finals quality blueline he inherited. It's not a quick fix, but it's also part of the solution to fire his ass if he doesn't straighten all of this out (and he probably won't).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can't say a lot of Adam's actions scream "smart coaching" :)

I hear the screams.

I think he expects players to win by playing smarter (mandated by "the system"), when actually they are used to playing well by using their talents, and simply playing instinctively.

Oates is a mess, followed by Calle and Kolzig. When the smoke settles, we may well see Blaine Forsythe as our next head coach.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I hear the screams.

I think he expects players to win by playing smarter (mandated by "the system"), when actually they are used to playing well by using their talents, and simply playing instinctively.

Oates is a mess, followed by Calle and Kolzig. When the smoke settles, we may well see Blaine Forsythe as our next head coach.

I too am souring on Oates. I have always thought Calle to be a bumblephook.

Caps still dominated the Leafs outside of a span in the 2nd. That game should have been 7-2. Even when the leafs tilted the ice they only had 1 or 2 grade A chances while the Caps had 3 breakaways and a few 2 on 1s in the 3rd alone.

Halpysback*

Oates is the nerd who tries picking up hot girls by walking up to them and spitting out a minute worth of canned super-optimized lines while being dressed and acting like Napoleon Dynamite. Then after being politely rejected tries the same thing again with a slightly different opener and falls flat on his face again, and continues doing so ad infinitum while meticulously refining his opener every time without paying attention to anything else. Yes, he's outcome independent but he also has no clue as to how to move in the right direction, and as a result effectively detached from reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad