Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Leafs - 3/16/14 3:00 PM Caps Win 4-2

Jun 15, 2007
I just want to point out that Ovechkin was absolutely not driving. In the description he explicitly says its Kuz driving. The reason it looks like he's in the driver side is because he shot the video using his front camera which produces a mirror image.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Dale played Wideman / Sarge out of spite, or simply was forced to trust George since those were his guys he had invested a lot in, especially Sarge. There were the highest ticket defensemen, so those were the DMen we got. Most everyone said Dale loved Wideman. Dale probably hated both more than we did.

GMGM gave Dale lemons on D, and he made lemonade.

Somehow Dale is the villain a goal away from the ECF in half a year, yet George has been the mastermind of 15 years of failure.

We were entertained and spoiled by firewagon hockey as Ovi took the league by storm, but that is no reason to hate Dale.

Its amazing how little Ovi and Nick care about defense these days.

DH was the one that took a few looks at 55 and said "nope, have a seat". Cut his minutes severely for a few games, iirc, then scratched him for like a month? It was speculated that 55 or some others would be moved at the deadline and then nothing happened. The Caps were on the outside of the playoffs looking in and by all accounts needed help both at forward and defense due to injuries and depth issues (as well as style differences).

He got nothing. Zero.

I think that's when DH decided to play out the year and see how far he could get with the squad he was stuck with, but that he was better off back home rather than trying to pound a square peg roster through a round hole system with no help from management.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Whatever about Dale. And Bruce too. They are gone, and they aren't coming back. We (nearly) all agree that the core problem was and is George.

A competent GM has a vision, picks the right coach to execute it, and works with that coach to get the right type of players.

Last edited:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
While I agree that Mojo's D play as a wing is no good - he's a better D player as a center where he doesn't have to win as many board battles and his speed and quickness come more into play. In fact, I'd hazard he's better a defensive center right now than Backstrom, but that's not saying much

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Its really shocking what's happened to Backstrom's defensive game. He's gone from (deservedly) getting Selke consideration to being a liability.

Seems to be one of many players in this team that can't keep up their motivation level throughout the whole game. Nick and Ovi are neither bad defensively, they've shown that, but this season they just lack the effort which really is a big red flag.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seems to be one of many players in this team that can't keep up their motivation level throughout the whole game. Nick and Ovi are neither bad defensively, they've shown that, but this season they just lack the effort which really is a big red flag.

19 has not been the same since his concussion and 90 has never been strong on the puck or very good defensively.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Mojo is the absolute worst IMO. No matter what line he plays on, they get hemmed in.

I remember him excelling at defense early in his career - at center, one reason i have always wanted him at center over wing. He just gets worked on the boards. I think he is a product of our top line. Monkey see monkey do. Or, no do.

Classic solid swedish programs instill solid defense for Cs.

But so many of our players seem lazy for back of a better word. Bottom 6, maybe bottom pair, the rest are largely floaters it seems. They need incentive.

I wish playoff paychecks were much higher than they are, they are laughable compared to the escalation in player salaries.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Its really shocking what's happened to Backstrom's defensive game. He's gone from (deservedly) getting Selke consideration to being a liability.

He's been horrible this season. I was expecting great things from him considering he worked off the Swedish meatball spare tire finally. He looks so lost mentally, like his head isn't in the game a lot of the time....

Pretty frustrating for a guy the franchise has tabbed as a career Capital.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
While I hate watching these lazy *****es loaf, it HAS to be demoralizing knowing your "system" is a complete piece of ****. Some overall improvement in effort would likely result from hiring a coach with a clue.

PSUCapsFan

Jan 8, 2010
Irvine, CA
It's hard for anyone on OVs line to play defense and pick up assignments when Ovechkin is constantly out of position.

He's out of position in the offensive zone when he slides over to the left wing.

He's always out of position on defense. He never gets in shooting lanes, floats, and always tries to cheat up relying on someone else to win a battle and get him the puck.

Wish Dale was around to staple his lazy floating ass to the bench.

Vladiator16*

Oh yes, bring back #Hunterhockey! The hockey in DC isn't quite dead yet...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I still think some of Backstrom's problem is being a new dad. Probably not getting enough sleep and maybe just half his head is at home with his kid. Hoping he'll snap out of it once he's more accustomed to being a father.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's hard for anyone on OVs line to play defense and pick up assignments when Ovechkin is constantly out of position.

He's out of position in the offensive zone when he slides over to the left wing.

He's always out of position on defense. He never gets in shooting lanes, floats, and always tries to cheat up relying on someone else to win a battle and get him the puck.

Right. Forcing the best goalscorer in the league to focus primarily on defense and play 13 minutes a night when he's carrying your team every year as the franchise player?

Let's not do that.

Instead let's fix the defensive roster and solidify the goaltending. Let's give the best scorer in the league some linemates who can play defense and maybe even take some of the pressure off him in other areas.

I know what Backstrom is capable of if he's healthy and not afraid of being knocked loopy, but can anyone tell me what MJ90 brings to the table? Anything? A handful of pretty assists per season against countless defensive breakdowns and giveaways? Why is this guy on the team, nevermind the TOP LINE?

It's not like there's even a lot of money sunk into his contract so there's no pressure to even play him. WTF??

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He's got tons of family around and a stay at home mother. More excuse making...

There's a difference between an excuse and a reason. His D play... and really his overall play... have fallen off a cliff. Trying to find out why that's the case is a legitimate exercise, even if it's just speculation.

Also, sometimes fathers share the child-rearing, even when the mother stays home. Just saying.

Vladiator16*

There's a difference between an excuse and a reason. His D play... and really his overall play... have fallen off a cliff. Trying to find out why that's the case is a legitimate exercise, even if it's just speculation.

Also, sometimes fathers share the child-rearing, even when the mother stays home. Just saying.

He stopped looking like NB we all know and love way before the baby.

PSUCapsFan

Jan 8, 2010
Irvine, CA
Right. Forcing the best goalscorer in the league to focus primarily on defense and play 13 minutes a night when he's carrying your team every year as the franchise player?

Let's not do that.

Instead let's fix the defensive roster and solidify the goaltending. Let's give the best scorer in the league some linemates who can play defense and maybe even take some of the pressure off him in other areas.

I know what Backstrom is capable of if he's healthy and not afraid of being knocked loopy, but can anyone tell me what MJ90 brings to the table? Anything? A handful of pretty assists per season against countless defensive breakdowns and giveaways? Why is this guy on the team, nevermind the TOP LINE?

It's not like there's even a lot of money sunk into his contract so there's no pressure to even play him. WTF??

No body is suggesting turning him into Jay Pandolfo. He needs to get his head out of his ass and pretend to give two ***** on defense. The reason they're always hemmed in the d zone is because they're essentially playing a man down when he's on the ice. He contributes zero effort on the back check and floats around like a chicken with his head cut off when he finally decides to glide across the blue line.

Not to mention he randomly decides to cross over to the left wing throwing all the assignments off when he inevitably turns the puck over. The worst is when he cheats to the left side and shoots high and wide springing the opposition on an odd man rush because theirs nobody covering his assigned wing.

Hunter was correct to limit his ES minutes and only utilize him on the pp where he can positively contribute.

It's really not.

It really is

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Remind me of all those right point men scoring against the Capitals when Ovechkin is on the ice.

You can see whatever about the cycle, but Ovechkin rarely allows cross ice passes or good shots from the right point men. Then again, how is this different from Alzner, Alzner can't break the cycle and he sure as hell can't pass as good as Ovechkin can.

This team cannot even clear the crease and has so many point shots go in because the goalie is screened and the guy that is supposedly bad at defense is the one that doesn't allow his guy to get them very easily.

Last edited:

Vladiator16*

No body is suggesting turning him into Jay Pandolfo. He needs to get his head out of his ass and pretend to give two ***** on defense. The reason they're always hemmed in the d zone is because they're essentially playing a man down when he's on the ice. He contributes zero effort on the back check and floats around like a chicken with his head cut off when he finally decides to glide across the blue line.

Not to mention he randomly decides to cross over to the left wing throwing all the assignments off when he inevitably turns the puck over. The worst is when he cheats to the left side and shoots high and wide springing the opposition on an odd man rush because theirs nobody covering his assigned wing.

Hunter was correct to limit his ES minutes and only utilize him on the pp where he can positively contribute.

It really is

This is so asinine its hard to respond...

:headache:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad