Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Leafs - 3/16/14 3:00 PM Caps Win 4-2

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
When I hear Calle talk, it makes me wonder what the Dmen think when they hear him talk. You can coach like Dale, with an iron fist, a man of few words. Or, you can be a chatterbox.

Both can have the desired effect.

As long as the players are not laughing, or totally confused.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Seriously...who could be bored with sudden death playoff hockey pretty much every game?

I myself would prefer to win with a little more margin of victory. Coinflip hockey sucked for the heart!

I would like to hope that all our hearts are stronger from the 14 games with Dale.

Seriously, it was tense throughout. I think it was the only playoff series to have every game decided by 1 goal, and I think it was like that much of the 2nd round as well.

I will never forget, games were so tense, I was cheering that dreadful Wideman Sarge pairing getting off the ice. I had never done that before, or since. Wideman!

Last edited:

Halpysback*

Dale had the mentality down but not all the details. The mentality is hard to come by. The details are as simple as replacing Sarge-Wideman with a more competent pairing and playing it 13 minutes instead of 20 or being slightly more patient with the puck in the neutral zone in order to carry it in.

Dale was the only coach under which the caps beat a superior team in the POs. If we kept him and tweaked the roster appropriately we could have looked like Sutter's Kings going forward, in the playoffs at least.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm torn about tanking. If there's a Crosby or Ovechkin to gain from it, I wouldn't miss making the playoffs. If I knew it would lead to positive change in management, I would be cool with it.

But other than that I have to wonder if just getting a 8th-10th pick instead of a 18th pick or something is worth missing the playoffs and a 1 in 16 chance at a Cup. Does a top 5 talent even give you better odds than that? I don't think so.

This is probably why GMGM and Ted set the goal to just get in, sure. The concern is whether or not they're building teams to do MORE than just get in and roll the dice.

I believe Dale tried to do that, and when GMGM didn't give him the pieces he wanted or needed, he said PFFFFt I'm outta here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I believe Dale tried to do that, and when GMGM didn't give him the pieces he wanted or needed, he said PFFFFt I'm outta here.

what evidence do you have of this dale attitude? from all we know dale never planned on doing anything but coaching them for the rest of the one season. he lived in the hotel. didn't get a car. had to be driven around. didn't bring any clothes.

by all accounts Hunter and McPhee remain quite tight.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
Hfboards @ its finest....why take a run at the playoffs when you can plan for the neato draft?

Glad the boys won myself. Bring on the road trip of death....

Right.... i'm sure we will make a serious run with our stud defenseman Jack Hillen and Connor Carrick.

It has nothing to do with the draft.....I want McPhee and Oates gone.

If missing the playoffs can contribute to it, so be it.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
what evidence do you have of this dale attitude? from all we know dale never planned on doing anything but coaching them for the rest of the one season. he lived in the hotel. didn't get a car. had to be driven around. didn't bring any clothes.

There were tons of McPhee interviews after Dale's departure where he implied the reason he left was because Dale didn't want to do certain things suggested by McPhee.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
There were tons of McPhee interviews after Dale's departure where he implied the reason he left was because Dale didn't want to do certain things suggested by McPhee.

Considering he forced Boudreau to change his style after Montreal I believe it. I lost respect for Dale when he quit on the team. I totally believe a story of McPhee asking Hunter to implement a defensive system and then not giving him the players to run it.

ryan519*

doesnt mcphee's contract end this year? missing the playoffs this year might be the perfect timing actually

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Right.... i'm sure we will make a serious run with our stud defenseman Jack Hillen and Connor Carrick.

It has nothing to do with the draft.....I want McPhee and Oates gone.

If missing the playoffs can contribute to it, so be it.

I said RUN, you said SERIOUS RUN.

100/100 I'll take a roll of the postseason dice rather than being in the loser pool. I question why people watch sports if they don't want their team to win.

It would be so Leonsis if they missed and McPhee gets extended. Then what for you? Keep rooting for playoff misses? You can't control it, might as well enjoy rooting for your team to win rather than be disappointed when they do. Chance are the schedule will do them in anyway.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Considering he forced Boudreau to change his style after Montreal I believe it. I lost respect for Dale when he quit on the team. I totally believe a story of McPhee asking Hunter to implement a defensive system and then not giving him the players to run it.

Talk about misinformed. Hunter didn't quit on the team. He came in on emergency service and agreed to be interim coach through the end of the year. Because he didn't want to stay around for the ***** show that George McPhee built and wanted to get back to his life and family doesn't mean he quit on the team. He did what he agreed to do in emergency duty, took them as far as they'd been in the postseason in recent history and now what, fans hold a grudge against the best Captain this franchise has ever had? Pretty sad.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I can't find a one and I just read scanned about 5 articles...

In fact this one seems to suggest McPhee is hands off and only makes suggestions when asked.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-i-didnt-expect-him-to-play-that-defensively/

Here’s McPhee:

“With Dale Hunter, for example, I didn’t expect him to play that defensively. Once we got going, I allowed the coaches to coach the way they wanted to coach.

“Their necks are on the line, I don’t want to be telling them what to do and turn around and fire them for making the wrong decisions. It’s your team, do what you have to do. I try not to talk about what I’m seeing unless they ask.â€

All this said, and reading firmly between the lines, one can conclude that while McPhee didn’t expect Hunter to play so defensively, he certainly liked it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I can't find a one and I just read scanned about 5 articles...

In fact this one seems to suggest McPhee is hands off and only makes suggestions when asked.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-i-didnt-expect-him-to-play-that-defensively/

Here’s McPhee:

“With Dale Hunter, for example, I didn’t expect him to play that defensively. Once we got going, I allowed the coaches to coach the way they wanted to coach.

“Their necks are on the line, I don’t want to be telling them what to do and turn around and fire them for making the wrong decisions. It’s your team, do what you have to do. I try not to talk about what I’m seeing unless they ask.â€

All this said, and reading firmly between the lines, one can conclude that while McPhee didn’t expect Hunter to play so defensively, he certainly liked it.

One might also conclude that GMGM is full of ****. Not sure what I think, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I never said they weren't tight. DH did GMGM a big favor and they parted ways amicably. DH didn't want to leave his family or his business/team. It would have had to have been an ideal situation for him to come back for another year, which is why he helped out GMGM but didn't commit fully.

I don't have a link but I heard DH had a wish list of players, and at the deadline he got nothing. In particular, no defensive help or players of the type that fit his gameplan. DH played a defensive style that GM hadn't expected. And it was a battle that tilted the locker room in 180 degrees from when BB was coach, with the slick stars having to play a dirtier defensive system and the grinders becoming more important.

You can believe me or not. One of my friends has been friends with DH and a lot of the Cup finals guys for a long time, and I've met a few of them. I knew he wasn't likely to stay the minute I heard he signed on. I'm pretty sure my take on DH's attitude is at least close to the mark, but I no longer frequent the websites where the wish list rumor was posted so I'm not going to dig for it. My memory is also fuzzy regarding whether I had a second source on it. But to me it was clear there was need and it was not filled, and DH seemed less and less comfortable as the season drew to a close. Take it or leave it.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think i've figured out the Ovi instagram post.

It's in reverse? Not sure how, maybe that's an instagram feature?

There features DC signs and Kuznetsov is obviously the one driving. The cars are also on the "left" of the video, instead of the right like in regular non-video. ;)

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
After watching the Penguins absolutely abuse them on consecutive nights I think this team has no chance of making noise in the playoffs, and they'd be better off tanking for the better pick and hopefully ending the GMGM era... but I'm a Caps fan. I love seeing them win, I love seeing Ovie score, and I love seeing the new kid playing well.

Head: Tank! Heart: Win!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
After watching the Penguins absolutely abuse them on consecutive nights I think this team has no chance of making noise in the playoffs, and they'd be better off tanking for the better pick and hopefully ending the GMGM era... but I'm a Caps fan. I love seeing them win, I love seeing Ovie score, and I love seeing the new kid playing well.

Head: Tank! Heart: Win!

This.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I was going to put this in the draft thread but it works here...

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/0...h-isnt-good-but-lack-in-the-shootout-sure-is/
The Canucks believe there is a significant drop off after the top eight players who will be taken in the NHL Entry draft

The way they see it, there are two players a cut above everyone else, and then it’s pretty even with the players they have ranked Nos. 3-8.

Obviously, there’s another month to the season and three months before the draft. Things can change....
Presumably 1/2 being Ekblad/Reinhart and 3-8 Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ehlers, Nylander & Ritchie in some order.

Unless the Caps flatline they won't be picking in the top eight so fighting for spots beyond that might not matter a whole lot. One of McCann, Fleury, Virtanen, Perlini, Barbashev & Fabbri wouldn't be too shabby. I'd avoid Perlini myself but any of the rest would be solid additions.

As much as I dislike McPhee's overall direction and his coaching decisions, this is an important stretch for the core IMO. Certainly the D depth can't fall apart completely but if they're going to do something their best players have to be their best players. Not sure those guys have it in them to do that when it matters most, even if there's a lot to be desired behind the bench and as far as tactics are concerned.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think i've figured out the Ovi instagram post.

It's in reverse? Not sure how, maybe that's an instagram feature?

There features DC signs and Kuznetsov is obviously the one driving. The cars are also on the "left" of the video, instead of the right like in regular non-video. ;)

Should have just read the text on the right to avoid thinking that much. :laugh:

a0gr8
14 hours ago
''Going to the game!haha my driver @kuzy84''

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Tank all the way. Defense is way over-matched, I don't think there's even a puncher's chance. Need McPhee to leave. Better draft position is a bonus.

Also, can somebody explain to me the logic of Backstrom-Ovi continuing to stay together? There's just nothing happening when they are on the ice at ES, short of watching pucks go into their own net. How does this still not register with Oates?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Tank all the way. Defense is way over-matched, I don't think there's even a puncher's chance. Need McPhee to leave. Better draft position is a bonus.

Also, can somebody explain to me the logic of Backstrom-Ovi continuing to stay together? There's just nothing happening when they are on the ice at ES, short of watching pucks go into their own net. How does this still not register with Oates?

Backstrom and Ovechkin still together makes no sense.

Ovechkin needs a faster center with more defensive responsibility (not sure he's on the roster, but we can try Mojo until Grabo is healthy. Certainly NOT Beagle), and Backstrom needs wingers that can play his slower game (Fehr was great with him earlier. Maybe give him Kuznetsov too).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Dale played Wideman / Sarge out of spite, or simply was forced to trust George since those were his guys he had invested a lot in, especially Sarge. There were the highest ticket defensemen, so those were the DMen we got. Most everyone said Dale loved Wideman. Dale probably hated both more than we did.

GMGM gave Dale lemons on D, and he made lemonade.

Somehow Dale is the villain a goal away from the ECF in half a year, yet George has been the mastermind of 15 years of failure.

We were entertained and spoiled by firewagon hockey as Ovi took the league by storm, but that is no reason to hate Dale.

Its amazing how little Ovi and Nick care about defense these days.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad