GDT: Capitals at Rangers Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Because the Caps dominated even strength play so much that they out-chanced and out-shot the Rangers despite the Rags having 3 more powerplays. The Caps dictated the tempo and controlled play for most of the game.
The 4-6D is fully exploitable for home teams, though, and it's why this isn't a cakewalk. A more disciplined game across the board will help but the quality of their D depth is an issue. If Carlson's play dips down along with Erskine then it's real trouble.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Can anyone get a gif of the back door pass from ward to Backstrom on that last PP? Would like to see that again.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
These playoff games cause a lot of stress on the mind and body... Even for fans.

I'm going to watch some TV to reveal this stress.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Apparently Ovechkin was cut on the high stick, but the referees decided not to call the double minor cause like you know he already had the cut and it doesn't matter its a month old.

mdurbin1234

Nov 6, 2012
Joel Ward takes a costly penalty at a costly time in which the Caps have momentum which leads to a goal and a game turnaround and a series turnaround.

I hope that's not the case this year, but it very well could be.

Keep your stick down, Joel.:shakehead

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Because the Caps dominated even strength play so much that they out-chanced and out-shot the Rangers despite the Rags having 3 more powerplays. The Caps dictated the tempo and controlled play for most of the game.

well, unfortunatley "out-chancing" a team is not the object of the game.

because if we "outchanced" them, but they "outscored" us, then it means they were superior in two other significant categories -- finishing and goaltending. our finishing blew chunks. and our goaltending was ho-hum.

as for our supposed ES dominance, where was it in the third? both their goals were at ES, including a long, dominant, cycling shift which culminated in Stepan's goal.

look, i love the capitals. i used to cry when they lost, and now my son does the same. i am living and dying with each bounce of the puck. but i don't watch this series and think, 'god, one of these teams doesn't even belong here.' it has been an even battle, in my view anyway.

in any event, it's not as horribly clear-cut and frustrating as the Montreal/Halak series was. in that one, i really did feel as if Montreal got two decent chances per game and inevitably potted both, while we continued to chip the paint off the posts with shot after shot after shot.

it's the playoffs. gotta put it behind us, and go win game 4. and Holtby needs to bring (back) his A game.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
What love affair? He's a 4th liner.

this made me laugh.

my son and i go back and forth on Ward. for two years, he has been trying to convince me that Ward is actually pretty good, and has a good +/- rating, and is good at cycling the puck, blah blah blah, whereas i always have this nagging feeling, Isn't there someone else we could be putting out there?

He did score the epic OT series winner v. Boston, and he did start this year on a hot streak for scoring. But a lot of time he just seems fine, and responsible, but not a difference maker.

I thought Beagle & Fehr worked their butts off tonight.

I am wondering how Erskine talked his way past the concussion patrol. Probably told them to go check on Powe and then hurried to retrieve his gloves and helmet and race back to the bench.

Last edited:

BamaCapsFan

Jan 31, 2008
this made me laugh.

my son and i go back and forth on Ward. for two years, he has been trying to convince me that Ward is actually pretty good, and has a good +/- rating, and is good at cycling the puck, blah blah blah, whereas i always have this nagging feeling, Isn't there someone else we could be putting out there?

He did score the epic OT series winner v. Boston, and he did start this year on a hot streak for scoring. But a lot of time he just seems fine, and responsible, but not a difference maker.

I thought Beagle & Fehr worked their butts off tonight.

I am wondering how Erskine talked his way past the concussion patrol. Probably told them to go check on Powe and then hurried to retrieve his gloves and helmet and race back to the bench.

I like some consistently fine and responsible, potential big minutes guys, in case it goes long. You don't know what you have until it's gone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
well, unfortunatley "out-chancing" a team is not the object of the game.

because if we "outchanced" them, but they "outscored" us, then it means they were superior in two other significant categories -- finishing and goaltending. our finishing blew chunks. and our goaltending was ho-hum.

as for our supposed ES dominance, where was it in the third? both their goals were at ES, including a long, dominant, cycling shift which culminated in Stepan's goal.

look, i love the capitals. i used to cry when they lost, and now my son does the same. i am living and dying with each bounce of the puck. but i don't watch this series and think, 'god, one of these teams doesn't even belong here.' it has been an even battle, in my view anyway.

in any event, it's not as horribly clear-cut and frustrating as the Montreal/Halak series was. in that one, i really did feel as if Montreal got two decent chances per game and inevitably potted both, while we continued to chip the paint off the posts with shot after shot after shot.

it's the playoffs. gotta put it behind us, and go win game 4. and Holtby needs to bring (back) his A game.
In the modern NHL game, "out-chancing" is the object of the game. Any coach will tell you that.

In the 3rd, some of the Caps were obviously gassed. Having to kill 6 penalties in the first half of the game will tend to do that.

Liberati0n*

The Washington papers could collectively save so much money if they just split the cost of one beat reporter and all ran the same garbage stories. They already have the same content and the same terrible writing.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
In the modern NHL game, "out-chancing" is the object of the game.

What does this even mean?

If outchancing is the object of the game, then why doesn't the team with more chances at the end of the series move on to the next round?

The object of the game is to score more goals than the other team. As any modern NHL coach will tell you.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I agree about out chancing them,but an example of the other side would be that second line. They need to show something on the score sheet for all the possesion game.

Im not upset at the way they are playing but everyone of the top line has a goal. Its time for Erat to get in the mix. Brouwer is getting looks but Lundqvist is stopping them all. Same with Ribs.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
What does this even mean?

If outchancing is the object of the game, then why doesn't the team with more chances at the end of the series move on to the next round?

The object of the game is to score more goals than the other team. As any modern NHL coach will tell you.

You automatically become the better team if you out chance the opponent. It's true that it is also the objective.

Deeper into that is first touches, which Oates look at.. Shooting percentage and quality of shots is also a factor.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
These playoff games cause a lot of stress on the mind and body... Even for fans.

I'm going to watch some TV to reveal this stress.

No kidding. For me, the stress isn't like before, but it can be frustrating. I don't expect to win every game, but I do expect effort and desire. I'm seeing it this year in the playoffs with the Caps. The Caps better expect a hungry NYR team on Wednesday.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Anyone else pull their hair out every time the 2nd line hits the ice?

They endlessly cycle for like a minute straight with zero shots on goal and then turn it over. Brouwer can't finish anything. Erat turns the puck over several times a game. Ribeiro doesn't have a single reliable player on his line to cash in on his passes.

The third line needs more playing time. They make stuff happen. Perreault got all of 9:41 TOI, and still managed 1A, +1, 80% FO.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Why do people keep saying this?

Well, I agree that the Caps aren't massively better, such that when they win it's usually very close (even if it's due to one guy in goal, he's part of their team), but at the same time I agree with the other guy who's saying we're clearly better -- unlike last year or the one before, I have confidence in this Caps team, down a goal to score one, up a goal to hold the lead, whatever. It doesn't always happen but I like this team's chances in every game, whereas in years past I'd pretty much pencil in a bunch of losses. Game 4? I make the Caps the favourites due to how they've carried the play at even strength.

BTW, 6 PPs? Maybe at least in small part due to the non-call at the end of game 2? Maybe it'll even out next game and maybe - hopefully - the Caps cash in. We know they're capable. Carrying the play at EVS + a PP or 2 and that's a W. At least if Holtby plays like he can. I'm confident he will.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the capitals have often had the better team. better teams lose all the time and in the case of the capitals they only rarely are beaten by a better team.

having the two game advantage with home ice advantage is the typical script and the caps still lose. last night was again the basic script.

ive seen the trainwreck before several times. the problem is that its almost impossible to tell if this time will be different. so you are compelled to watch anyway.

it would have really made things interesting with a win last night. the caps have never been up 3 games to none and they have never blown a 3 games to none lead. so at least the script is different.

unfortunately there is reality. they are the capitals. we are caps fans. its the worst job is sports. being a caps fan.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi 1 hit, enough said. It was a revenue game why kill yourself

I am still impressed with our TMM penalty. Alan May said, fine, but the Rangers should have gotten a double minor for TMM at the same time. And he is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce