Post-Game Talk: Capitals 6, Penguins 3 - Letang Spots the Caps Another Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I realized long ago many of the Letang basher don’t watch these types of players closely. So they don’t notice the stupid shut they do as well.

Subban has been a train wreck. Still trying to figure out what he was doing on that brain dead clearing attempt last night...
Agreed. A lot of it is not watching them as much or as closely. But I also think there's a part where a lot of fans only really attribute any agency in a game on their own players. So when something bad happens against the Pens, it's a bad play from the Pens. The other team doesn't get credit for doing something good. But when a bad play happens against a neutral team, the other neutral team's good play will be factored in to what happened.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For sure. A lot of it is not watching them as much or as closely. But I also think there's a part where a lot of fans only really attribute any agency in a game on their own players. So when something bad happens against the Pens, it's a bad play from the Pens. The other team doesn't get credit for doing something good. But when a bad play happens against a neutral team, the other neutral team's good play will be factored in to what happened.

1000% true.

Ovechkin is having a monster series against us and basically willing his team to their wins.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Man, I have a very different opinion of capitals fans than you do. Most of them are insufferable imo. I'll give you that Boston is worse, but I don't want to see the Caps win anything either. The only way I want Ovi to win is if he goes to another team some day.

I’ll agree with that in terms of this board. I mean their moderator g00n or whatever is such a joke with his Penguins complex.

Every Capitals fan I’ve met in person has been fine, and honestly ribbed the Capitals more than me.

Much like every fan of every team outside of the Bruins and the Flyers.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Looked over the mainboard, what a mistake that was! I can't believe people are still screaming about the Guentzel "hit". Not nice to say but in general hockey fans are the dumbest neanderthals in the sporting world. For a sport that loves to thump its chest and declare how "tough" it is, there sure is a lot of purse swinging by the coaches and fans.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Man, I have a very different opinion of capitals fans than you do. Most of them are insufferable imo. I'll give you that Boston is worse, but I don't want to see the Caps win anything either. The only way I want Ovi to win is if he goes to another team some day.

I don’t want them to win because I am quite certain they do try to injure Pens players on purpose, it’s just kind of a wink and a nod/understanding that’s what needs to be done to beat the Pens...

But through five games so far, they deserve to win this series. We’ll see how things play out though, and I’ll be a little surprised if this team lays down for the Caps.

Reactions: Andy99

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I’ll agree with that in terms of this board. I mean their moderator g00n or whatever is such a joke with his Penguins complex.

Every Capitals fan I’ve met in person has been fine, and honestly ribbed the Capitals more than me.

That's the difference certainly. I work with a guy that was straight up praising the Wilson hit on ZAR saying he hopes he keeps doing it.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I was fortunate enough to miss the game last night; just watched the highlights today. Sounds like it was pretty frustrating.

Backstrom could be out for the rest of the series though, if that's the case I think the Pens have a decent chance to take this to 7 and win it.

I agree with the general sentiment though that this team isn't playing well enough/is too banged up to win the Cup regardless, but if they could squeeze out this one more series win, I think it'd still be a fairly successful, season having eliminated both the Flyers and the Caps.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

as for this board, they are seriously discussing some charts that prove it's Caps vs the PeNHL. These people honest to god believe the league is out to get them.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Pittsburgh fans just seem to have some weird complex where their teams are never good enough no matter what they do.

This. There really are some fans that act this way, and it's quite odd, IMO.

There are actually people (some here at HF, too) that complain, actually COMPLAIN, about the 2017 Cup win because of the team playing "rope a dope" and they weren't the "buzzsaw" that the 2016 Cup team was.

People complaining about something like that, I don't even know what to say.....

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I realized long ago many of the Letang basher don’t watch these types of players closely. So they don’t notice the stupid **** they do as well.

Subban has been a train wreck. Still trying to figure out what he was doing on that brain dead clearing attempt last night...

It’s curious that almost all these 30 minute defensemen look like idiots more than anybody else. The amount of times Karlsson, the best of this generation, has gotten burned to ash by Crosby or Malkin is too many to count. Letang has been been disproportionately bad this year when it comes to unforced errors, but to act like he’s always been some liability is a joke.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
What's wrong with Boston winning?

Everything. Absolutely every possible reason. There is absolutely, positively, zero reason to ever cheer for that team.

Marchand trying to injure people on a regular basis, their fan base defending Thornton attacking Orpik, Chara's cheap shot to Crosby after his jaw was broken, Mike Milbury, everything Brad Marchand, Jack Edwards actively cheering when opponents are injured, did I mention Brad Marchand?

I could go on for hours.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm hoping to see Hornqvist back with Crosby and Guentzel.

HGH has been good but,
I think Hagelin-Malkin is really what makes that line work.

Reactions: Finesse

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I guess I just view the league differently.

I obviously want the Penguins to win, but if we don’t I root for the story. That’s Vegas and Washington if they both get through.

Winnipeg and Tampa are just the expected results.

Maybe it comes with getting older, maybe it comes with the winning we’ve seen from the Penguins my whole life.

Pittsburgh fans just seem to have some weird complex where their teams are never good enough no matter what they do.

My favourite story is Washington’s never ending futility.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
The argument re Letang has ALWAYS been - do his positives outweigh his negatives (obviously taking into account the high price tag/salary).
As a goalie, I always come down on the side of "it's not the ones you stop, it's the ones you let in", the lesson being that a bad goal/bad play/dumb mistake always has a larger negative effect on the team than the supposedly off-setting brilliant save/fabulous play/amazing goal.
It's because the negative plays can set off cascading issues, where players lose trust in the goalie/defenseman/whoever , start over-compensating, chasing pucks, losing position and on and on.

For this reason I've never been a fan of Letang, even though his brilliant skating/transition work obviously has been a real positive. And clearly his crazy athleticism has for years allowed him to recover from serious blunders, get back, break up plays, and save a back-breaking opposing goal. Sometimes.

But as Billy has warned us for ages, these types of players do not age well. And that is what we're seeing now, as Letang loses a step, and his athleticism slowly diminishes. We may even be seeing more of it because he's clearly been told to play in a way that doesn't come naturally to him, which seems to make him think too much out there, with brain-cramp mistakes the result.

Anyway. Even years ago I was not convinced the positives outweighed the negatives.
But I think it's pretty obvious which way things have tipped now. He's been directly responsible for crucial game changing goals in 2 losses, in a tight series with near-zero margin.

I hope JR has the cojones to make a deal this summer.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Not sure if the numbers have been pointed out, but there has been a lot of back and forth about Murray. End of the day, he's got a .898 SV% this round and that simply isn't good enough.

It's hard to say he's playing great, but this team has given up more odd man breaks than pretty much all of the other eastern conference teams combined.

They've given up 4x the amount washington has. Hell the pens gave up more odd man breaks in 1 game than fleury has seen for the entire playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad