Post-Game Talk: Capitals 6, Penguins 3 - Letang Spots the Caps Another Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm not surprised at all. For whatever reason, the main boards seem to allow trolling as long as you don't actually use the word "troll" or call someone a troll.

There are a bunch of posters who literally do nothing but go into Crosby/Penguins threads and post spam after spam posts of trolling/baiting/flaming comments, but aren't censored. However, if you actually call them a troll for their trolling, you get infracted.
And for the most part they are fans of the following:
Washington
Philadelphia
Detroit
McDavid

I just love that the "league is for the Pens" narrative never changes. Even 2010-2015, the league was fixing games for the Pens...apparently just did a poor job of it. Doing a poor job these playoffs too, as games 2 and 3 were gifts to the Caps. Dammit, maybe they forgot to invite Uncle Gary to the BBQ last month. It's so predictable and sad.

Detroit fans are still salty over 2009, as if they were cheated or something...it's really weird.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think they are just being sarcastic with those types of posts because we used those against Wilson.
It's sarcasm, but they are attempts to make the arguments against Wilson look ridiculous and the Pens fans look like hypocrites. It's total strawman since Pens fans in that thread have unanimously said "show the angle that shows a headshot and we can call it a headshot."

Reactions: 66-30-33

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Look BEYOND our first line... Pathetic. Sheary with 2 points?? TWO? Big game Rust trying like hell to make things happen but is hindered by Sheary and Brass half the time.

Lot of just awful play. You can genuinely blame the officiating/ Letang for 2 games this series (which is sad) - however the Pens have had their chances to overcome. At this point I'd trade Letang+ to Montreal for their #3 if they'd be willing - or simply trade him for a bag of pucks for his salary cap. Any scheme here where we land Doughty? He would be a perfect #1 to this system (many systems to be honest, I recognize it's a pipe dream)... I'll take speed throughout the forward group and defense by committee any day compared to what we've seen here. Ian Cole is sorely missed - at least he never seemed to give up.

ColePens and I mentioned at the beginning of these playoffs that perhaps we won last year BECAUSE Letang was out. I feel comfortable saying that our defense stepped up because they had a team mindset, Letang clearly doesn't. He's selfish and stupid. Blames Dumo?? Dumo has been the best defender all playoffs. God I could go on for hours but I'm so mad at Letang packing our bags early. Thanks bro for ruining a magical run by Guentz and Sid - and more importantly for ruining history in the making. F'n awful.

This guy needs a hug.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And for the most part they are fans of the following:
Washington
Philadelphia
Detroit
McDavid

I just love that the "league is for the Pens" narrative never changes. Even 2010-2015, the league was fixing games for the Pens...apparently just did a poor job of it. Doing a poor job these playoffs too, as games 2 and 3 were gifts to the Caps. Dammit, maybe they forgot to invite Uncle Gary to the BBQ last month. It's so predictable and sad.

Detroit fans are still salty over 2009, as if they were cheated or something...it's really weird.

I've still yet to hear a valid explanation for why, if Bettman and the NHL gifted Pittsburgh Crosby in 2005, the other 29 teams were okay with it.

Owners, in particular, would have loved to have Crosby on their team to sell tickets/merchandise. Yet apparently they all went along with it because they all care so much about the Penguins staying in Pittsburgh rather than moving to Kansas City?

Reactions: Beau Knows

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Why wouldn't the NHL rig the 05 draft and have Montreal win it? Makes no sense that they would rig it for us, When Montreal was there.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Uh. No.

Dumo is and has been the past three years.

Maatta plays a simple game, but gets beat on plays a tonnnn. And he definitely does his fair share of throwing pucks blindly up the boards or to no one.
Dumoulin plays a low-risk, low-reward game, but still is far from mistake-free or a lockdown defender, his mistakes are usually less damaging or glaring than guys like Letang or Oleksiak.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Said he thought Ovie was trying to stretch the play and it was a miscommunication w Dumo.
It seemed like he thought he had to shadow Ovie. I dunno.

In other words.....substitution mass confusion clouds inside my head...

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sadly this series is done. No way the Pens can win 2 in a row against the Caps with how bad the Pens Defense is.
So Bolts vs Caps. Going to be a good series.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I really hope JR overhauls the D next year. Keep Dumo, Schultz, and Jamie. Ruh too. Ship out Letang, Maata, and Sheary. Those 3 guys may still have value around the league. Letang's act is beyond old. Maata just doesn't have the physical tools to ever be elite. And Sheary is awful, and completely vanishes in the playoffs.

Reactions: turtle27

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
really? We lose a one goal game in the last few minutes and now our defense simply isn't good enough to win two in a row?

Pens could've easily won 3 in a row this series. Like it's not impossible to win 2 in a row.

Game 2 was very winnable and so was game 3. The reffing was iffy in both...especially the no goal call and the Maatta trip. Get a few calls and we're up 3-0.

Reactions: Beau Knows

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
Pens could've easily won 3 in a row this series. Like it's not impossible to win 2 in a row.

Game 2 was very winnable and so was game 3. The reffing was iffy in both...especially the no goal call and the Maatta trip. Get a few calls and we're up 3-0.

You expect reffing to not be "iffy" two games in a row? That's nearly unheard of

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Sadly this series is done. No way the Pens can win 2 in a row against the Caps with how bad the Pens Defense is.
So Bolts vs Caps. Going to be a good series.

broken record here. it all comes down to goal tending. I know we are breaking down with some defensive breakdowns. But we are breaking down our opponent more regularly.
Last year we won a cup while being significantly out played the first two rounds, especially against the caps. But our goaltending was waaaay better.

This year we are largely dominating 5v5 play, something we have been moaning about all year. We generated twice as many high danger chances last game then our opponent. The difference is their goalie is making the big stops, this is the thing we have gotten out of our goal tenders in the past. It was key to our runs, we would all talk about how Murray (or Fleury last year) would make some key stops to not give the other team life.

Murray is doing the exact opposite, he is breathing life into an opponent that we have knocked down. Game 3 puck is going wide, he sticks his pad out and ramps it into his net to tie it up late in the 3rd. Last game we could not have started that game any better. He totally didn't even come close to stopping the first goal, and I'm sorry I want my goalie to stop a point shot if he can see it. The second goal was beer league goalie bad. The breakaway that Letang was doing god knows what, Murray didn't cover his five hole with his stick which is a basic basic thing when you are moving while down. Yes it's a talented winger coming in, but he is making it easy for them to score.

I'm not saying Letang is not an idiot, he is. But we need our goalie to bail us out here and there and not have the majority of them end up in the net. We also can ill afford to just give them goals. Murray doesn't gong show that 2nd one in and we probably win this game even with the way it unfolded as it went on.

I was worried about his exact thing before the playoffs started, I've been sounding the alarm bell on murray for months, I was hopeful that he would get back into form. But at this point I think we are screwed. Only way we win game 6 is if we have the better goal tender. Can it happen? sure. Will it happen, I'm doubtful.

I'd love to hear what Jesse thinks on this if you're reading this thread.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
broken record here. it all comes down to goal tending. I know we are breaking down with some defensive breakdowns. But we are breaking down our opponent more regularly.
Last year we won a cup while being significantly out played the first two rounds, especially against the caps. But our goaltending was waaaay better.

This year we are largely dominating 5v5 play, something we have been moaning about all year. We generated twice as many high danger chances last game then our opponent. The difference is their goalie is making the big stops, this is the thing we have gotten out of our goal tenders in the past. It was key to our runs, we would all talk about how Murray (or Fleury last year) would make some key stops to not give the other team life.

Murray is doing the exact opposite, he is breathing life into an opponent that we have knocked down. Game 3 puck is going wide, he sticks his pad out and ramps it into his net to tie it up late in the 3rd. Last game we could not have started that game any better. He totally didn't even come close to stopping the first goal, and I'm sorry I want my goalie to stop a point shot if he can see it. The second goal was beer league goalie bad. The breakaway that Letang was doing god knows what, Murray didn't cover his five hole with his stick which is a basic basic thing when you are moving while down. Yes it's a talented winger coming in, but he is making it easy for them to score.

I'm not saying Letang is not an idiot, he is. But we need our goalie to bail us out here and there and not have the majority of them end up in the net. We also can ill afford to just give them goals. Murray doesn't gong show that 2nd one in and we probably win this game even with the way it unfolded as it went on.

I was worried about his exact thing before the playoffs started, I've been sounding the alarm bell on murray for months, I was hopeful that he would get back into form. But at this point I think we are screwed. Only way we win game 6 is if we have the better goal tender. Can it happen? sure. Will it happen, I'm doubtful.

Thump that chest!!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Dude, you've been harping on Murray's weaknesses whenever he has an off night, even the years he won the Cup (but disappear when he's doing well, I might add).

Don't try and make it sound like you're giving an unbiased view on Murray when you literally disappear when he's doing well only to reappear the second he struggles to point out how you were correct to be "concerned" all along.

Reactions: ncm7772

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
I just want to see us take this to Game 7, and leave it all on the ice. This would feel terribly anticlimactic if we lost on home ice after the run we've had.

Reactions: ncm7772
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad