Salary Cap: Cap Crunch Part 6: At Least We Have Rundblad

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Who has called Anisimov terms such as that?

Not sure what you are refering to on this but AA AA. Term wise it is not too long and he will be 32 when it ends. It is an ideal contract. Tomas Pleakanc (spelling) got $6 AAV and while he is a better player he is not that much better. I am personally happy with AA and the extension.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Who has called Anisimov terms such as that?

Nobody.

I don't think it is unreasonable to tag AA as a 3rd line center but right now he is our 2nd line guy - and unless TT proves he can fill that role, that is where he is likely to stay. With the finesse players 72 and 88 on the line, it seems like a good fit presently.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think it was too Much money for what he has accomplished but I do not blame SB. if he plays with kane and another either Panrin, or Dano all year he is going to put up big numbers and would probably get more. plus a slight over pay for guys when its all in there prime I'm fine with. Seabs on the other hand paying 6.85 from 35-39 is a extreme over pay.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think it was too Much money for what he has accomplished but I do not blame SB. if he plays with kane and another either Panrin, or Dano all year he is going to put up big numbers and would probably get more. plus a slight over pay for guys when its all in there prime I'm fine with. Seabs on the other hand paying 6.85 from 35-39 is a extreme over pay.

Isn't the highlighted a conflicting statement?

IMO, Right now we have what seems like inflated salaries for the likes of T/K, Seabs, Crawford, Bickell, and perhaps AA (too early to say).

The hope for Hawk fans (and of course more importantly, Hawk management) should be that the cap goes up significantly in the next few years making these contracts look more in line with what we have for those big bucks. If not Stan will have to do a Houdini act to keep this team near the top.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think it was to much money for a guy that typically scores at .5 per game. But this year with Kane on the line my guess is he jumps from .5 to .7 which would mean he is worth $4.5 mil. I do think its overpay based on his last 5 years, but if you are going to play him with Kane he is going to put up #'s that would drive his price up. That is why I'm fine with it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hypothetical:

Assume there is expansion for the 2017/18 season (expansion draft on summer 2017).

Assume Hawks would expose Hossa (leave him.unprotected).

1. While expansion teams might be interested in Taking him to help the reach the cap floor for a few years...he still will have 4 years left on contract with the just over $5 million cap hit but at a cost 9f just $1million per year in pay...so very attractive for the. ..BUT what if he then decides to quit the game early?Not worth it to him to slave for just that paltry yearly sum and his role will be by then as a third or 4th liner...but if he does not fulfill the contract we do not know if the nhl will impose the cap re-capture to the Hawks or if the expansion draft picking him is an out for the re-capture since the Hawks did not actually trade him.

So let us assume Bettman is not forgiving and sticks it to the Hawks on the re-capture even after he is selected in expansion then quits...
THE HYPOTHETICAL IN 5HAT EVENT IS THIS:

IF Hossa then says he will stick out his contract to help the Hawks but only if he gets traded back to the Hawks....can the Hawks re-deal with the expansion club to get him back while the expansion club agrees take back a partial (%) of the remaining yearly salary? IF the NHL allows this and say the expansion team agrees to take back 2/3 of his remaining salary and thus also retaining 2/3 of his cap hit ¥which they covet to reach the floor) THEN the Hawks would pay him.just 1/3 of his $1million yearly pay remaining plus they would get a reduced cap on him of just 1/3 of that over $5 million cap hit (or whatever the actual %s agreed to are)...and so the question is:Will such a manoeuvre going g to be allowed? I do not see why not...except that the end result actually is a way the Hawks get relief on the Hossa contract. IF the NHL tries blocking this...would the Hawks contest in court? Does the CBA have any provision to block a team from re-tradi for a player selected in an expansion draft? If not..then such deals should be legal abd the NHL will need to swallow and fall on their sword because Stan's gamble on the Hossa contract that here would be some expansion out to reduce the cap hit
in the last 4 years when Hossa has to drop to lower lines when skills diminish actually bore fruit.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Pronger and Philadelphia have already provided us the roadmap to get out of the final couple years of Hossa's contract if he ever wants to retire early, so I wouldn't worry about the tail end of his contract if his numbers plummet. He'll just claim chronic issues that necessitates being LTIR'd that just about any vet with a billion miles on them could easily be tested for as part of general wear and tear.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Pronger and Philadelphia have already provided us the roadmap to get out of the final couple years of Hossa's contract if he ever wants to retire early, so I wouldn't worry about the tail end of his contract if his numbers plummet. He'll just claim chronic issues that necessitates being LTIR'd that just about any vet with a billion miles on them could easily be tested for as part of general wear and tear.

Yep.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Hossa will play next season, but it will be interesting to see when he decides to retire/go on LTIR during the last 4 years of his contract when he'll only be making $1M each year. He'll be 38 when that starts to happen. I guess it depends if/how much he declines after these two seasons and how much he still loves playing.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Hossa will play next season, but it will be interesting to see when he decides to retire/go on LTIR during the last 4 years of his contract when he'll only be making $1M each year. He'll be 38 when that starts to happen. I guess it depends if/how much he declines after these two seasons and how much he still loves playing.

And, perhaps most importantly, how good the team is. If they're a legit contender, you have to assume Hossa would want another shot at the Cup. Reduced role and paltry wages not withstanding.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Are people really concerned about Hossa?

1) He's actually shown very little decline in any area other than shooting percentage. Whether that's luck, age or both remains to be seen, but if he wants to keep playing, he can continue to be a great contributor on a puck possession team.

2) The Chicago Blackhawks have arguably ascended to become the number one money-maker in the NHL. Ratings, merchandise, special events (outdoor games), etc. The NHL has a vested interest in not watching this team tail-spin due to cap issues. If the team LTIRs Hossa there will not be a particularly thorough investigation of its merits.

3) The NHL, like pretty much every contact sport on Earth, is waging a PR battle against the threat of concussions. Hossa has had at least one concussion, and scientists have been trying to tell the NFL and NHL forever that you don't even need to be hit in the head to get concussed, you just need a significantly large impact to create enough movement of the brain within the skull. If Hossa goes on LTIR for concussion related symptoms, the NHL is NOT going to be the league that goes on record as saying 'you're a big faker, get out there and play with that concussion'.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I was at Red Ivy on Clark yesterday watching the Cubs play the Mets. In walks Bickell and he was there probably an hour and a half. I went to the restroom and he actually was at the urinal next to me and said "hope you don't mind me breaking man code and going right next to you" dude was absolutely hammered. had me rolling.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Actually my stance was "Trade Crawford" if there is interest

If Hawks could have found a trade partner they would have been able to roll Darling/Raanta this year and taken risk

I like Crawford but if any team steps forward with interest Hawks for cap health must consider making trade every offseason of that deal

Its the world we live in with Hawks cap issues that Crawford is most expendable part of core

I used to be in the trade Crawford camp, but after watching his play the last few years and particularly this last playoffs ... you can't win those cups with Darling and I'm glad Saad was traded over him.

Also put me in the camp that thinks Anisimov was an excellent add ... yes Panarin looks amazing but Anisimov has had almost as much to do with how that line has played to start the season (occupying defenders, winning puck battles, driving the net), not to mention showed pretty good skill on two backhand snipes.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Crawford has been one of the Blackhawks 3 best players each of the last 3 seasons.

He's been worth every penny of that 6 million dollar contract.

I don't understand any play moving forward that involves moving him.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Crawford has been one of the Blackhawks 3 best players each of the last 3 seasons.

He's been worth every penny of that 6 million dollar contract.

I don't understand any play moving forward that involves moving him.

So you need 2 mil next year and 5mil the year after that. Who do u move?
U could let Daley walk that is 2.3. You could trade Kruger or shaw and save 1.5.
Bickel. Gets u only 1/2 way there.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Are people really concerned about Hossa?

1) He's actually shown very little decline in any area other than shooting percentage. Whether that's luck, age or both remains to be seen, but if he wants to keep playing, he can continue to be a great contributor on a puck possession team.

2) The Chicago Blackhawks have arguably ascended to become the number one money-maker in the NHL. Ratings, merchandise, special events (outdoor games), etc. The NHL has a vested interest in not watching this team tail-spin due to cap issues. If the team LTIRs Hossa there will not be a particularly thorough investigation of its merits.

3) The NHL, like pretty much every contact sport on Earth, is waging a PR battle against the threat of concussions. Hossa has had at least one concussion, and scientists have been trying to tell the NFL and NHL forever that you don't even need to be hit in the head to get concussed, you just need a significantly large impact to create enough movement of the brain within the skull. If Hossa goes on LTIR for concussion related symptoms, the NHL is NOT going to be the league that goes on record as saying 'you're a big faker, get out there and play with that concussion'.

I'm not concerned at all about Hossa significantly declining or the ability to LTIR him when it comes to that.

He can continue to be a 50-60 point, good defensive and possession player until he's 40 IMO. I just wonder how much incentive he'll have to keep playing after next season when his salary substantially decreases. He'll already have 3 (maybe more) Stanley Cups, a shit ton of money, and won't have to prove anything else to make the HoF. It will depend on how much he still wants to play.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So you need 2 mil next year and 5mil the year after that. Who do u move?
U could let Daley walk that is 2.3. You could trade Kruger or shaw and save 1.5.
Bickel. Gets u only 1/2 way there.

If you need 2mil next year, Shaw and Bickell (buy out) can go, the the year after you can let Daley walk. Not many contracts on the board 2 years from now.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
The real problem for next year is the cap penalty for Panarin and TT bonuses, if they make them.

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
I was at Red Ivy on Clark yesterday watching the Cubs play the Mets. In walks Bickell and he was there probably an hour and a half. I went to the restroom and he actually was at the urinal next to me and said "hope you don't mind me breaking man code and going right next to you" dude was absolutely hammered. had me rolling.

Funny story but it's too bad he broke man code by not showing up to play every game.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
If you need 2mil next year, Shaw and Bickell (buy out) can go, the the year after you can let Daley walk. Not many contracts on the board 2 years from now.

The problem is Moving shaw and buying out bickell works for next year and letting Daley walk (we are thin at D prospects right now) We still are about 3 mil away from Keeping TT, Panarin, dano and Darling IMO.

You move shaw and get something back? nothing over the Top probably. You let a # 4 d walk for nothing and need to replace him at the league Min. and you need to trade 1 of Dano, TT, Panarin and let Darling walk.

you are gutting the team of all your young controlled (restricted Talent)

IMO opinion you are better off Trading Crawford and not buying out bickell and keeping Shaw, Kurger, Daley, TT, Panarin, dano and Darling in 17-18. We are going to have Tough Decisions that are all going to hurt. you need to figure out what is going to hurt the least and who, how much you can replace them for. Other then restricted FA the only 2 players that are home town discounts right now are HAmmer and Keith. So that is going to be a problem when you are winning team. Everybody wants to get PAID.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The problem is Moving shaw and buying out bickell works for next year and letting Daley walk (we are thin at D prospects right now) We still are about 3 mil away from Keeping TT, Panarin, dano and Darling IMO.

You move shaw and get something back? nothing over the Top probably. You let a # 4 d walk for nothing and need to replace him at the league Min. and you need to trade 1 of Dano, TT, Panarin and let Darling walk.

IMO opinion you are better off Trading Crawford and not buying out bickell and keeping Shaw, Kurger, Daley, TT, Panarin, dano and Darling in 17-18. We are going to have Tough Decisions that are all going to hurt. you need to figure out what is going to hurt the least and who, how much you can replace them for. Other then restricted FA the only 2 players that are home town discounts right now are HAmmer and Keith. So that is going to be a problem when you are winning team. Everybody wants to get PAID.

I think the potential of looming expansion is not worth just ignoring overall as it could effect things of both sides. You could be freed up from some type of cap or one of the guys likely to command higher cap hits via something to that effect. Perhaps at a point like then you risk something like losing Crawford and protecting Darling or other scenarios may be altered via how that may happen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Next year, if the cap is 73mil we will need to fill a 3rd line LW, a 4th line RW, 13th F, 3 bottom pairing D (6 depth players) and sign Kruger and they will have around 18mil to do that, easy as pie.

Dano – Toews – Hossa
Panarin – Anisimov – Kane
XXXX – Teravainen – Garbutt
Desjardins – KRUGER – XXXX
XXXX

Keith Hjalmarsson
Seabrook TVR
XXXX – XXXX
XXXX

Crawford
Darling

The year after, they can concentrate on signing the 3 young kids first, and then fill in the depth. They will have 27mil in cap space (w/cap of 75mil) to sign Teravainen, Dano, Panarin, Kruger and 8 depth players. Let's say Kruger, Panarin , TT, and Dano get a combined 16mil (pretty high IMO), that leaves 11mil for 8 depth palyers. Not that bad really.

DANO – Toews – Hossa
PANARIN – Anisimov – Kane
XXXX – TERAVAINEN – XXXX
XXXX – KRUGER – XXXX
XXXX

Keith Hjalmarsson
Seabrook TVR
XXXX XXXX

Crawford
Darling

Ad

Upcoming events