Salary Cap: Cap Crunch Discussion (again)

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Krüger to Vegas or somewhere else, no salary back. Sign Panik for 1,25mil, Kempny 950k, Darling anything between league minimum and 1mil, Rasmussen 750k and Desjardins 650k. Go after Tkachyov for ELC, bring Shalunov over. If Campbell wants to stay, 1,4mil is maximum. If Panarin doesn't hit the B bonuses and Cap goes up to 76mil as HawksCap expects, go after Shipachev.

Hartman - Toews - Hossa (elite shutdown line with skill, Hartman is more like Saad than Shaw)
Tkachev - Anisimov - Kane (Tkachev is good winger, can do everything)
Panarin - Shipachev - Shalunov (Panarin carries these two but Shipachev is very good and Shalunov would benefit from two Russians)
Rasmussen - Kero - Panik (aaaand we have a good 4th line, Kero can do what Krüger does)

Keith - Seabrook
Campbell - Hjalmarsson
Kempny - van Riemsdyk/Pokka

Corey
Darling

Go for Cup.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Zero chance that Darling signs for under a million. I'm fully expecting that this is our last season with him.

Short term, I expect Kruger to be exposed in the expansion draft and Seabrook to be traded at a loss but with nothing retained in a year or two down the line. Hossa will either keep playing or we'll emulate the Flyers and Pronger, claim a chronic issue, and get him LTIRetired.

Oh, and Bowman's not getting fired and we're not trading Toews whether you like either or not.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Krüger to Vegas or somewhere else, no salary back. Sign Panik for 1,25mil, Kempny 950k, Darling anything between league minimum and 1mil, Rasmussen 750k and Desjardins 650k. Go after Tkachyov for ELC, bring Shalunov over. If Campbell wants to stay, 1,4mil is maximum. If Panarin doesn't hit the B bonuses and Cap goes up to 76mil as HawksCap expects, go after Shipachev.

Hartman - Toews - Hossa (elite shutdown line with skill, Hartman is more like Saad than Shaw)
Tkachev - Anisimov - Kane (Tkachev is good winger, can do everything)
Panarin - Shipachev - Shalunov (Panarin carries these two but Shipachev is very good and Shalunov would benefit from two Russians)
Rasmussen - Kero - Panik (aaaand we have a good 4th line, Kero can do what Krüger does)

Keith - Seabrook
Campbell - Hjalmarsson
Kempny - van Riemsdyk/Pokka

Corey
Darling

Go for Cup.

I like it.
I especially like the potential to land Ship and Shalunov and Tkachev.
With Chicago avoiding Russian players for so long it's nice to have them back in the fold ... the Hawks play a similar game to the Russians so it seems a natural fit.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I like it.
I especially like the potential to land Ship and Shalunov and Tkachev.
With Chicago avoiding Russian players for so long it's nice to have them back in the fold ... the Hawks play a similar game to the Russians so it seems a natural fit.

I forget about Forsling who obviously will play for the Hawks next season also. So Campbell is not priority imo. But if Campbell and Kempny are both coming back, it's going to be fun to see who plays RD.

But I'm glad you like it. I think that team is even doable if cap goes little bit up and The Russians are willing to come over.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I want to add that I've seen Tkachyov, Shipachev and Shalunov for long period of time in KHL, as Ksashdoo, so I think they could all make the jump, even right now. Everyone of them could be 50point guys right away, not at the same time though because limited role.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We can hope Kruger is taken by Vegas because if they take TVR instead it leaves us with trying to unload Kruger without taking back salary. Either way its pretty much a given Kruger is gone

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I want to add that I've seen Tkachyov, Shipachev and Shalunov for long period of time in KHL, as Ksashdoo, so I think they could all make the jump, even right now. Everyone of them could be 50point guys right away, not at the same time though because limited role.

Problem is when the intesity ratchets up in the playoffs you don't want to many Russians on your team. Detroit is really the only franchise ever to have more than 1 or 2 key Russians and win anything.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Problem is when the intesity ratchets up in the playoffs you don't want to many Russians on your team. Detroit is really the only franchise ever to have more than 1 or 2 key Russians and win anything.

This is true, but I think this is the factor which has changed in recent years. I think more and more Russians have more edge and are more "playoff time players". And Penguins showed what they do with today's NHL with speed and skill, Russian's are great in that kind of style.

But I agree with you. That is a factor and gamble.

I must add that I think in recent years Russian's have developed more completed players, not like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk but more like Datsyuk. And I mean the skill plus two-way play.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
This is true, but I think this is the factor which has changed in recent years. I think more and more Russians have more edge and are more "playoff time players". And Penguins showed what they do with today's NHL with speed and skill, Russian's are great in that kind of style.

But I agree with you. That is a factor and gamble.

Penguins don't have to play St. Louis, Anaheim and LA.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Penguins don't have to play St. Louis, Anaheim and LA.

So you wouldn't take the gamble with Tkachyov, Shipachyov and Shalunov and would go with Schmaltz, Motte and Hinostroza for example? You think Motte, Schmaltz and Hinostroza would do any better against Blues, Ducks and Kings because they are U.S. born? Well I don't.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
So you wouldn't take the gamble with Tkachyov, Shipachyov and Shalunov and would go with Schmaltz, Motte and Hinostroza for example? You think Motte, Schmaltz and Hinostroza would do any better against Blues, Ducks and Kings because they are U.S. born? Well I don't.

Yes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I wish we had better hockey talk in this city

CSN live discussion about cap was painful

Them having Crawford/Seabrook/Hossa as who will be most likely to go and then having Kaplan keep bringing up Seabrook has NMC (As if Crawford doesn't) and that it is Crawford who can easily be moved because he doesn't have MNC (Again he has one) and the bald old guy bringing up Amnesty saying we can still use it on Hossa and them having no clue about recapture or how NHL salary cap works

These guys don't know much about NHL :facepalm:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Kaplan has never struck me as knowing anything about anything other than trolling and maybe something in there sincerely about the Cubs

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014

Them having Crawford/Seabrook/Hossa as who will be most likely to go and then having Kaplan keep bringing up Seabrook has NMC (As if Crawford doesn't) and that it is Crawford who can easily be moved because he doesn't have MNC (Again he has one) and the bald old guy bringing up Amnesty saying we can still use it on Hossa and them having no clue about recapture or how NHL salary cap works

You'd think with the recent success the team has had the talking heads would look into educating themselves on this ****.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

It's kind of inexcusable right? I can live with Waddle & Silvy not knowing anything about hockey but if we (schmucks on a forum) can look up who has a NMC in 30 seconds, surely guys who make it their living to discuss sports can do the same before they're so blatantly wrong.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
The myth that never dies...

We've beaten all of those teams in the playoffs. Throw the Bruins in there too.

You missed the part about having Russians rather than American born players. My point was teams with multiple Russians other than Detroit haven't won Jack, so I would rather not have lots of Russians over Americans

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You just made an even worse point. Yeah better not have any of those loser Russians on our team. They don't win anything!

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
You missed the part about having Russians rather than American born players. My point was teams with multiple Russians other than Detroit haven't won Jack, so I would rather not have lots of Russians over Americans

That's kind of a lazy narrative to be honest. I know it's one that a LOT of people have, however. I never bought into the "lazy Russian players" crap myself, but I know that bias exists pretty heavily for some.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
You just made an even worse point. Yeah better not have any of those loser Russians on our team. They don't win anything!

That's kind of a lazy narrative to be honest. I know it's one that a LOT of people have, however. I never bought into the "lazy Russian players" crap myself, but I know that bias exists pretty heavily for some.

I was sure that after Panarin, Tarasenko and Kucherov etc people are starting to realize that Russian factor doesn't exist anymore or at least as heavily as before, but maybe I was wrong. I'm not directing this to you.

I would agree this opinion if it was like Kane vs Ovechkin or Toews vs Datsuyk, but Tkachyov or Shipachyov over Hinostroza? I'm not buying it. Those two are far more suitable than Hinostroza at this point of their careers. And I'm pretty sure that Shalunov has more potential than Motte or Hinostroza.

I am aware that American born might think different than myself (Finnish) but still.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015

Name a team other than Detroit with multiple Russians that won anything.

I'll wait, I'm young still got lots of life to live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad