Rumor: Canucks Trying to “Reward the Players”

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Isles have no interest in Garland to fill another middle six winger role that’s already being occupied. They need quality top end scoring talent that can play with Barzal and Horvat, not another winger for Pageau. Mayfield fills a need for the Islanders, Garland does not. You’re asking for a RHD and offering up more fillers while offsetting it by adding in the 1st to justify it. The teams aren’t a match in this place.

Isles have no interest in Garland - You are not the Isles or their staff, you can say I beleive and I'm sure that is what you meant by it, so lets move on then.

You’re asking for a RHD - yes why yes I am! The fillers are not fillers but players and prosects that can "fill" roles..... so ?

offsetting it by adding in the 1st to justify it. - Offsetting? counteract (something) by having an opposing force or effect. Hummm just not correct. Offering a 1st and and our best prospect and a good role filler who can score until next year and then boomb two cheap prospects.

They need quality top end scoring talent that can play with Barzal and Horvat - Of which the isles have what exactly? 1 st and Lettermaki who very well could be a top end talent to play with horvat or Barzel for mayfield who fills a role, one which I guess you like more than scoring.

Anyways, I see your point, don't agree but you know you'll be fine, I mean you know Sooooo much about the isles you know they ROCK in depth for HIGH skilled 1st rounders and offensive types.

31st out of 32 teams for your propect rankings.. tell me again what you need ??? Mayfield!!!!! Thats it!!!!

31. New York Islanders​

Previous Ranking: 27​

Top Five Prospects: Danny Nelson, William Dufour, Samuel Bolduc, Simon Holmstrom, Matthew Maggio​

The New York Islanders haven’t made a first round selection since they took Simon Holmstrom 23rd overall in the 2019 Draft, and it shows. While the Islanders don’t currently have anyone in their prospect pool who projects to be a big difference maker in the NHL, they have a deeper pool of guys who are likely to play for them someday than Boston does so they’ve avoided the bottom spot.

William Dufour New York Islanders
William Dufour, New York Islanders (Jess Starr/The Hockey Writers)
Danny Nelson is an intriguing prospect who only recently made the switch to playing center, growing up as a defenseman. Nelson showed flashes of offensive potential last season, and has a big frame that he uses quite well. His development will likely be pretty unpredictable, though I don’t expect he’ll be much more than a good third-line center if all goes well.

William Dufour and Samuel Bolduc both had great rookie pro seasons last year in the AHL with the Bridgeport Islanders, and while I expect both to play meaningful roles in the NHL eventually, they both have some issues they’ll need to iron out before that happens, such as Dufour’s tendency to get pushed to the perimeter or Bolduc’s lack of a clear role as a stopper or an offensive type.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It's early, but this Nucks team looks much improved. I think I have a reasonably unbiased take on this too - I live in Vancouver but am a Leafs fan, so I see them play a lot but don't have the homer glasses on.

Their forwards have always been pretty good, their big weaknesses last year were shit defence, and poor goaltending due to Demko injuries.

Demko is healthy so far, and playing great, and they added a solid backup in DeSmith. So goaltending is looking good.

On D, they made huge strides. This was their top 5 dmen last year (by ATOI, among guys who played a significant number of games):

1. Quinn Hughes
2. Tyler Myers
3. OEL
4. Ethan Bear
5. Kyle Burroughs

Absolute garbage, just a tire fire (other than Hughes). While this year, their top 5 dmen (by ATOI) have been:

1. Quinn Hughes
2. Filip Hronek
3. Ian Cole
4. Carson Soucy
5. Tyler Myers

That's astronomically better - it's not elite or anything, but it has gone from horrendous to solidly above average (IMO). Myers going from 2D to 5D is a good indication of how much stronger that group is. Plus Quinn has taken another step forward and looks like a legit Norris contender this year.

I think it's a bit early to be going hard on win-now deals, but if I'm Allvin, yeah, my overall mentality right now when exploring trades is a buyer, not seller mentality. Especially when you consider that signing Pettersson to a long term deal is the top priority this offseason, and he's only doing that if the team does well this year. The Nucks really need to make the playoffs this year, and ideally get to at least the 2nd round, otherwise the risk of losing Petey is high, and that would be a massive step backwards.
Woah woah woah....I sure hope Elias didnt point a gun to Allvin's head and demand that they make the second round or he dips (he watch the leafs?). He just wants to make the playoffs, seeing how crappy his teams were the last few years..

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Weird to see such a knee jerk management group. Seems to kind of stink of being desperate to make the playoffs more than anything. Which I guess there is nothing wrong with that.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
OK, I can't agree because who are these players? Who are 6'3 RHD for 3.5 million for the next 5 years. Thats big mean cost controlled. I'm not "not" believing you or not taking your postion, just examples so this can be more fleshed out. Because yeah he's not a bargain on pick costs, but cap hit and postion fits all the bills.
......lol

I mean you literally are describing this guy.

1698790492146.png

Reactions: TS Quint

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
......lol

I mean you literally are describing this guy.

View attachment 760924
Correct, a guy I described, is it someone we can get? Would would it cost. I didnt ask how many were like him, but how many like him we can trade for and at what cost? Considering they just signed him I doubt it, where as Mayfield is on an Isles team that has not offense and no offsive prospects. You failed to make a point other than there are hockey players like Mayfield, and I remind you ... MUCH cheaper wasn't it you said? I feel this post is like

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah Im sure seth jones is going to waive for canadian city

That guy is waiving for a select few american cities and it limits it even more in teams that are out strictly on his SB's alone.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Jonathan Huberdeau, come on down!
To move Huberdeau @50% retained, Calgary would probably need to move:
Weegar @50% retained
Lindholm pending UFA @50% retained
and maybe one of Hanifin, Tanev or Zadorov all pending UFAs

for

Garland
Beauvillier pending UFA
Myers pending UFA
Juulsen

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This feels like Dhaliwal just trying to generate some interest and keeping the story going.

Allvin has been everything but quietly busy since taking over. Phonelines are open and will continue to be.
More to the point every GM in the league is making calls. It’s the job.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Isles have no interest in Garland - You are not the Isles or their staff, you can say I beleive and I'm sure that is what you meant by it, so lets move on then.

You’re asking for a RHD - yes why yes I am! The fillers are not fillers but players and prosects that can "fill" roles..... so ?

offsetting it by adding in the 1st to justify it. - Offsetting? counteract (something) by having an opposing force or effect. Hummm just not correct. Offering a 1st and and our best prospect and a good role filler who can score until next year and then boomb two cheap prospects.

They need quality top end scoring talent that can play with Barzal and Horvat - Of which the isles have what exactly? 1 st and Lettermaki who very well could be a top end talent to play with horvat or Barzel for mayfield who fills a role, one which I guess you like more than scoring.

Anyways, I see your point, don't agree but you know you'll be fine, I mean you know Sooooo much about the isles you know they ROCK in depth for HIGH skilled 1st rounders and offensive types.

31st out of 32 teams for your propect rankings.. tell me again what you need ??? Mayfield!!!!! Thats it!!!!

31. New York Islanders​

Previous Ranking: 27​

Top Five Prospects: Danny Nelson, William Dufour, Samuel Bolduc, Simon Holmstrom, Matthew Maggio​

The New York Islanders haven’t made a first round selection since they took Simon Holmstrom 23rd overall in the 2019 Draft, and it shows. While the Islanders don’t currently have anyone in their prospect pool who projects to be a big difference maker in the NHL, they have a deeper pool of guys who are likely to play for them someday than Boston does so they’ve avoided the bottom spot.

William Dufour New York Islanders
William Dufour, New York Islanders (Jess Starr/The Hockey Writers)
Danny Nelson is an intriguing prospect who only recently made the switch to playing center, growing up as a defenseman. Nelson showed flashes of offensive potential last season, and has a big frame that he uses quite well. His development will likely be pretty unpredictable, though I don’t expect he’ll be much more than a good third-line center if all goes well.

William Dufour and Samuel Bolduc both had great rookie pro seasons last year in the AHL with the Bridgeport Islanders, and while I expect both to play meaningful roles in the NHL eventually, they both have some issues they’ll need to iron out before that happens, such as Dufour’s tendency to get pushed to the perimeter or Bolduc’s lack of a clear role as a stopper or an offensive type.
I would trade Boeser for Dobson. Creates a significant hole in Vancouver’s Line up, but we have other wingers who can fill the spot.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The most valuable asset in hockey is a skilled 1st line C who plays a 2-way game. Very close to that is a big, skilled, mobile top pair D man, preferably RHD.

If VAN wants Dobson, there's only one player the Isles would want coming back, and VAN wouldn't want to deal him. So forget about the whole thing.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
This reeks of Tocchett.

When AZ was going into the covid shut down high in the standings, we started hearing that they wanted to “reward the players”. They traded for Taylor Hall.

They then drastically dropped in the standings and if it weren’t for the covid playoff bubble they wouldn’t have made it. Haha
It reeks of nothing. The term “reward” came from the reporter. And Canucks management has been “working the phones” since before the season started Re: players like Garland, etc. There’s nothing here.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Lol. Boeser has 4-5 decent games and suddenly he's worth Dobson?
Not in isolation, but the isle board is looking for someone to play wing with Horvat and Barzal.
They won’t be trading him for pure futures and I don’t think Garland gets it done and they already dumped Beau on us.

Not to mention Boeser is criminally underrated, if I suggested that they trade him to Carolina for Svechnikov I doubt this would be your response.

But:

ANDREI SVECHNIKOV 6’2” 195​

Cap hit: $7,750,000
Goals per game: .32
Points per game: .76

BROCK BOESER 6’1” 208​

Cap hit: $6,650,000
Goals per game: .36
Points per game: .79

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not in isolation, but the isle board is looking for someone to play wing with Horvat and Barzal.
They won’t be trading him for pure futures and I don’t think Garland gets it done and they already dumped Beau on us.

Not to mention Boeser is criminally underrated, if I suggested that they trade him to Carolina for Svechnikov I doubt this would be your response.

But:

ANDREI SVECHNIKOV 6’2” 195​

Cap hit: $7,750,000
Goals per game: .32
Points per game: .76

BROCK BOESER 6’1” 208​

Cap hit: $6,650,000
Goals per game: .36
Points per game: .79
ThenCanucks literally couldn't give Boeser away last season. His agent was given permission at Christmas to look for a trade and he came up empty. Now he's had a hat trick to start the season and he's suddenly worth his contract and tesms are willing to give up a young top pairing right shot D with as many points as he has? Yeah. I'm not buying it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad