Canucks Management Discussion | Part 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks for the snarkiness. What would you like me to explain for you specifically?

no problem, it comes naturally

A: why i should care that youve been watching the game for a long time
B: respond to the previous thing i said a couple pages back when i said "show your work"

thank you

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i know people that have been driving a long time. do you know as much about hockey as they do driving?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
We could have had both and a much better defense this year. Then when Juolevi is ready you either trade or don't re-sign Garrison. Sbisa and Larsen combined account for Garrison's cap hit and Biega can be the cheap 7th man.

Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Gudbranson
Hutton - Tryamkin
Biega

20 million on 8 goals

pass

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
to hark back to age old arguments

garrison = slowest skater on 2nd fastest team in the league

bonino = slowest skater on the fastest team in the league with the 2 fastest skaters in the league on his wing

they dont work so well on the 29th fastest team in the league

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
You're looking at the exception, not the norm.

Swedes seem to play at a higher level for a longer period of time than NA players. Generally, Swedes start off with a much healthier lifestyle than Canadians and especially Americans.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Swedes seem to play at a higher level for a longer period of time than NA players. Generally, Swedes start off with a much healthier lifestyle than Canadians and especially Americans.
Care to show some statistics on that generalization? Or is it just "common knowledge" like all Germans like sausages and Canadians live in igloos

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
to hark back to age old arguments

garrison = slowest skater on 2nd fastest team in the league

bonino = slowest skater on the fastest team in the league with the 2 fastest skaters in the league on his wing

they dont work so well on the 29th fastest team in the league
Hansen Virtanen Etem Rodin Sutter will go a long way to changing that.

Am i wrong to think the SEL MVP could do what Donskoi did for SJ.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
no problem, it comes naturally

A: why i should care that youve been watching the game for a long time
B: respond to the previous thing i said a couple pages back when i said "show your work"

thank you

A: My point was watch it play out. I'm not asking you to appeal to my authority. I'm saying I've watched a lot of hockey very closely, and in watching Gudbranson I have come away impressed. He will be a good # 4 for us for a long time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know the standard cliche is that if some guy plays his way on to the roster during training camp, and outplays a veteran, he's on the team...but when you start looking at the guys on the Canucks who are basically being gifted spots on the team next year it makes you wonder...for a variety of reasons ranging from waiver-eligibility to contractual commitments, guys like Granlund, Tryamkin, Rodin, Larsen, and even Pedan are assured spots.....unless they'd be willing to put guys like Dorsett, Sbisa or even Burrows on waivers, just can't see any room for prospects, no matter how they play.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A: My point was watch it play out. I'm not asking you to appeal to my authority. I'm saying I've watched a lot of hockey very closely, and in watching Gudbranson I have come away impressed. He will be a good # 4 for us for a long time.

That's nice. I have watched a lot of hockey too. I also understand the advanced analytics. Gudbranson isn't going to be a good second pairing defenseman for us, at least to start. I expect that Hutton-Gudbranson pairing to be short-lived actually. WD might want to consider Hutton-Tanev, Edler-Gudbranson, and just manage their minutes. Hutton isn't ready to carry a pairing and needs someone who is a good puck possession defenseman to help keep the puck out of the defensive zone, and Gudbranson just needs a good defenseman to carry his ass because he's not very good.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Care to show some statistics on that generalization? Or is it just "common knowledge" like all Germans like sausages and Canadians live in igloos
Ooh, I get to use this again!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hansen Virtanen Etem Rodin Sutter will go a long way to changing that.

Well obviously it could go either way. Gotta hope for the best with Rodin but for every Donskoi there's probably 2 or 3 Fabian Brunstrom's.

Also considering team speed, if Bonino worked well with two speedy wingers in Pittsburgh, Hagelin and Kessel, why not play him with with Hansen and Virtanen? Is Virtanen-Sutter-Hansen a better line than Virtanen-Bonino-Hansen because Sutter is 'faster'?

Same thing with Garrison. Sure he's a slow skater, but while slower than his direct replacement he's a far more effective dman than Sbisa. You can work to build towards team speed, but you shouldn't replace good players with less effective ones just because they're faster. That's how you end up with Bartkowski, not exactly a good trade off for Bieksa.

Note - I mention Sutter & Bonino here, but that's something that still remains to be seen and obviously isn't as bad as the dmen swap.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Here's another one for people that say there's lots of Virtanen "haters"

"Hopefully"

I don't get the last part. "Hopefully he's putting in the work" and "I know guys see him every day in the gym at the rink". So, uh if guys actually see him "in the gym every day" then what is the "hopefully" part? Did Burr forget how to English again?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I don't get the last part. "Hopefully he's putting in the work" and "I know guys see him every day in the gym at the rink". So, uh if guys actually see him "in the gym every day" then what is the "hopefully" part? Did Burr forget how to English again?

He was talking about not being prepared during the season. He says hopefully he'll get there and noted he's been at the gym often this summer.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

In-season vs. off-season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Since things are repeated in the Virtanen thread, I will post my post here too:

The callout was around the same time Virtanen "hung out" with Bieber. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Virtanen had a strong 2nd half and was overall pretty consistent. He didn't look out of shape to me. But honestly, even if he was not in the type of shape he should be at, I would look at it as a lesson taught. You have to remember that last year was really his first NHL camp. Given that he had slimmed down by like 13-15 pounds as directed, I think Virtanen did put the work in during the summer. But it's not unusual for rookies to be shocked at the level of fitness required. Experience counts and you often see veterans being the fittest.

In terms of in season conditioning, guys do need to learn that if you're not playing a whole lot of minutes a game, you need to put in more time on the stationary bike after the game.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
That's nice. I have watched a lot of hockey too. I also understand the advanced analytics. Gudbranson isn't going to be a good second pairing defenseman for us, at least to start. I expect that Hutton-Gudbranson pairing to be short-lived actually. WD might want to consider Hutton-Tanev, Edler-Gudbranson, and just manage their minutes. Hutton isn't ready to carry a pairing and needs someone who is a good puck possession defenseman to help keep the puck out of the defensive zone, and Gudbranson just needs a good defenseman to carry his ass because he's not very good.

I highlighted a sentence that allows his view on Gudbranson to be correct no matter if he does good or bad...either way it will look like he was right.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Meh. This will be one of the posts Benning supporters will point to for eternity to justify Benning dumping him to Calgary for Morgan Klimchuk and Brett Kulak.

It's scary how realistic that is :-/ Except I don't think Benning could resist adding to Jake for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad