Canucks Management Discussion | Part 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
My gutt is telling me the doomcuff owners are not willing to do a proper rebuild. The Erickson contract told me that. We are on a cliff and I would rather suffer two or three years of hell and the next 5 of finishing just out of the playoffs and getting screwed in the lotto

I find these tweets by botch pretty interesting
https://twitter.com/botchford/status/748934196840706049
https://twitter.com/botchford/status/748934791077040128
https://twitter.com/botchford/status/748941789915062272

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
He got hosed on Garrison, had a solid deal for Bieksa but ****ed that up a month later, and he got hosed on Hamhuis.

I think people forget Bieksa had quite a few teams who wanted him, San Jose Anaheim and St. Louis off the top of my head, still a good trade but people act like its a giant steal

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think people forget Bieksa had quite a few teams who wanted him, San Jose Anaheim and St. Louis off the top of my head, still a good trade but people act like its a giant steal

Benning should be given credit for capitalizing on the past reputation of Bieksa. It was a giant steal regardless of who else might have wanted him.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If the guy is a superstar it doesnt' matter if he's 29 or 24.

I would probably support a full rebuild of the canucks, but as ownership doesn't want to allow that signing a guy like Shipachyov is probably the next best thing. The canucks lose nothing but money to sign a very very good player in his prime.

It helps the canucks more now and hurts them a whole lot less in the future than trading for a player anyway.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
If the guy is a superstar it doesnt' matter if he's 29 or 24.

CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH!

Also he is a cerebral playmaking centre that will not age in a Bertuzzi/Lucic/Backes way. He will most likely still be playing at a high level in 5 years time (34)

Which is when Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen/Boeser/Juolevi/Hutton/Tryamkin/Demko/Subban/Gaunce/Stecher
Etc will all be 23-27 and competitive.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Shipachyov must be an outlier as well then because his best season was last year at age 28.

You could argue for 11-12 22 goals and 59 points in 54 vs 17g 60p. Statistically t there isn't any difference, maybe goals tip it slightly to his 24yo season. More a case maintaining his peak, give our take the usual troughs.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH!

Also he is a cerebral playmaking centre that will not age in a Bertuzzi/Lucic/Backes way. He will most likely still be playing at a high level in 5 years time (34)

Which is when Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen/Boeser/Juolevi/Hutton/Tryamkin/Demko/Subban/Gaunce/Stecher
Etc will all be 23-27 and competitive.

That's excellent news if Benning can sign the guy. For all his warts Benning's non-aversion to Russians/KHL players can be a way for compensating for his shortcomings (like Gillis with signing college FAs).

Management is going to push for playoffs whether the fans agree or not and signing a bonafide 2nd liner in Hudler and a guy who should do well in Shipachyov is a lot better than hoping Sutter magically becomes a 2C.

And it'll push Virtanen down to the AHL - where he'll be groomed by a superior coach in Travis Green. Hopefully there's less 'off ice distractions' in Utica compared to say...downtown Vancouver.

Age gap (Sbisa), fast forwarding development (McCann) were all half assed attempts at rebuilding properly. I can get on board with signing veterans if it means the blue chippers will be developed properly.

I would probably support a full rebuild of the canucks, but as ownership doesn't want to allow that signing a guy like Shipachyov is probably the next best thing. The canucks lose nothing but money to sign a very very good player in his prime.

I would've loved Radulov for the same reason. At a 1 year deal worst case scenario Benning flips him for a 3rd...maybe throws a 5th back at the other team lol.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Sedins are outliers. Most forwards have their peak offensive season at around age 25.

Thats not true.

Thronton, Dastyuk, Pavelski, Zetterberg, Wheeler, Jokinen, Ribeiro, Hartnell, Steen, Marleau.

These guys all peaked after 25 or put up similar production to their "peaks" after 28. And that was with 5 minutes of research, if I kept going I would find many more.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Thats not true.

Thronton, Dastyuk, Pavelski, Zetterberg, Wheeler, Jokinen, Ribeiro, Hartnell, Steen, Marleau.

These guys all peaked after 25 or put up similar production to their "peaks" after 28. And that was with 5 minutes of research, if I kept going I would find many more.

Most...

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I don't believe that's the case actually. Elite players can often maintain a high level of production but for the majority of players they peak early in their careers.

They may peak in their mid twenties but lots of players as good as Shipachyov can continue to produce at a similar rate later into their careers.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
cool. since its 50/50, you should be able to find like, hundreds of examples pretty easily, right? i mean, i didnt make the claim

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Yes because those are the only examples. Like I said it took me a couple minutes just to find those.

Of course they were easy to find. Pro sports lionizes its outliers. Did you look down the list at the Cody Hodgsons and Kyle Brodziaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad