Canucks Management Discussion | Part 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Maybe it's true but Taj is full of ****, has been for awhile.

Benning stated after the trade they would talk extension after the season starts so unless Gudbranson decided to flip on his reported excellent character and barged into the office with demands, I call bull.

I also can't find a single Botchford quote stating that so again, I think Taj is making **** up.

Even if it's true, that's Gudbranson's ASKING price.

There's still the Canucks asking price in which they find a medium.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
He's an RFA and eligible for arbitration next year, we're not going to lose him as a UFA. We could also just trade him, Benning has no problem flipping a guy a year after he acquired him.

Sorry, my mistake - could have sworn he was a UFA.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
The second anyone on the periphery shines or fades in the least, trade time and usually fail to get back any prospects whatsoever, but give up draft picks and do nothing more than further load up the bottom 6 and he says they are making the Canucks better..

You know what else makes it worse not to get back prospects and giving away picks? Not able to recuperate picks either because the second he gets an extra pick in say the 1st, 2nd, 3rd round, he just deals it away.

Example, back at the 2015 draft, Benning was telling the fans that he wants a pick, he gets a 2016 2nd rounder, beforehand he comments that 2016 2nd round is better than the 2015. Next thing you know 2 days later he trades it away, then trades our only 2nd rounder.

Another example is that he trades Jason Garrison for a 2nd, and deals that same 2nd for Linden Vey, even though he said we need to build through the draft. That pick could've well been McKeown, Dougherty, Montour, Dvorak, but nope.

You know what? Another example!! He trades the 85th pick for Derek Dorsett who he overpays for....

Its not even funny anymore, its just plain frustrating when you joke about it, we've had 1 2nd round selection since 2014, albeit a fantastic pick, but when you stop to consider that he says we're a team that's gonna build through the draft, you get angry because he almost always give up picks in deals.

He always feeds us things like how we'll try to get a player resigned and if not traded. Richardson, Matthias, Hamhuis (eventually) are all perfect examples of him being the stubborn GM that he is, he could've traded Matthias and Richardson for middle round picks with all the time in the world during draft day, and before free agency.

He then admits that he could've gotten a 1st and Marko Dano but he says that Dano isn't good, which confuses me since we have no other potential Top 6 wingers other than Boeser and Virtanen, isn't prospect depth something you should have? I thought we're gonna retool on the fly for younger players, then contradicts himself by giving up a top scorer in the AHL for a player who couldn't crack Calgary's 4th line consistently, I'm really worried on his pro evaluation skills if he thinks Granlund is better than Dano. Add the fact he lost out on a 1st round pick to which contradicts his building through the draft mentality, we could've had Rubstov, Tufte, Jones, but no.

I don't get what he thinks when giving away prospects like Shinkaruk,McCann, and Forsling, I can easily imagine him calling up the New York Islanders to trade Horvat for Clutterbuck, Zidlicky, and a 7th round pick in 2019, and call them foundational players, and that Horvat didn't have the two-way game.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
What's really worrying is that our coach is just as :shakehead as our GM. If not more.

I said during the second half of his first year that he was in over his head and now they're keeping him to start year 3? Very nice man, not an NHL head coach.

Was going to say I'd be shocked to see him finish the year but I was already shocked enough by the fact he made it through last year.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere, so I'll put this here. From HW today:

I heard some really disheartening things today about the Canucks. I wasn't kidding when I said I felt gut punched again. For the first time perhaps I have my rose coloured glasses off.

From the turmoil in the front office, separation between owner and management, player discontent, treatment of vets, on and on it goes.

Other things that seemed to get somewhat confirmed for me was that Benning and Linden "do not appear" to have complete control. There is a sense of differing views on how to proceed. Where there is smoke....

Also says the Canucks are pretty much out of the running for Lucic, and Stamkos doesn't have the slightest interest in coming here, of course.

On Lucic:

With the state of the Canucks he doesn't want to be in this market. If they were a contender it would be a fun place to finish his career but with where we are at he knows he would be a lighting rod for criticism. He doesn't want the grief from family and friends especially since he plans to retire to Vancouver.

Good times.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
^^^ oh them silly Aquilinis.

Hopefully they either sell the team or move the team and we get an expansion team.

I just want them gone.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Also says the Canucks are pretty much out of the running for Lucic, and Stamkos doesn't have the slightest interest in coming here, of course.

On Lucic:

Good times.

Great time to be a fan eh? Lovin' these dark days with no end in sight... Even though I don't want Lucic, when even HE is afraid of this place.... Really sad.

And I would take owners that don't spend to the cap but don't meddle over the Aquillinis that do and meddle like crazy, btw.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

On Lucic:

Good times.

Ownership on a different page than management, and Lucic signing elsewhere? This post just made my week!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Would love new owners to come in and just completely clean house and do an actual rebuild.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Ownership is only on a different page than management because Benning prob changed his mind yet again on the direction of this team

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
Benning doesn't care about depth anywhere besides the 4th line where he is stacked. He has been one deep everywhere else and trades guys because he already has one of those. The second the injuries hit you will see how he has rid the closet of all depth.

I gotta agree with you. I'd add not only is there a lack of depth, but there's also a distinct lack of versatility.

The players that Benning's mainly targeted just haven't fit together well.

The one pairing that did compliment each well (Vrbata with Bonino), Benning broke up, in order to install another player who really didn't compliment the talent already on the Canucks roster. (Aside: Baertschi was also a good pickup, and the chemistry he's shown with Horvat's been promising.)

The team chemistry became so bad through the course of the season, that the Sedins had to resort to flinging Hail Mary passes to Hansen from their own end to close out the season, because they couldn't trust over half of their defensive corps to not give the puck up in their own end.

It was a total gong show. The Canucks just didn't have the depth, the talent, or the versatility, to keep up with the rest of the Western Conference. And every night, it was the same exact problems plaguing the same exact players. And it was Benning players causing the most issues on the team.

And with regards to new lineup for the coming season, I'm cringing. It's a whole lot of question marks penciled in, already. And I'm getting a sinking feeling in my stomach in regards to this team's chances. It'll be rolling dice, every night, because Benning's gambling a whole lot on this unproven lineup.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Other things that seemed to get somewhat confirmed for me was that Benning and Linden "do not appear" to have complete control. There is a sense of differing views on how to proceed. Where there is smoke....

This is exactly what that Goalie coach that interviewed with us said. Ugly ugly situation for us fans, but this is the bed they've made, now they have to lie in the mess.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Don't worry guys. If I ever win multiple lotteries I will buy the Canucks from the mafia... I mean, Aquilinis... then make HfCanucks the GM through voting.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Don't worry guys. If I ever win multiple lotteries I will buy the Canucks from the mafia... I mean, Aquilinis... then make HfCanucks the GM through voting.

Haha it took me a sec to get the joke, well done. Well, done.

I'm actually cutting WD a little slack - he probably has the worst job in the NHL right now. And at the end after 30 million tries he stopped relying on Vey and Bart and Dors...kinda...

All signs pointing to another catastrophic summer with bad signings and trades coming our way.

I am bracing myself for disappointment. Do your worst, Jim...do, your, WORST.
image.jpg

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
It's comical that the only way Benning manages to make a good move is when he fails to follow through on plan A.

Vrbata was plan B from signing Iginla
Lucic was #1 on Benning's magic whiteboard but he wants no part of this garbage organization (and I want no part in him)

Everything else he purposely does ****s the team over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad