Rumor: Canucks interested in Ethan Bear

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
i think (hope) Rutherford and Alvin are waiting til closer to camp to see who might be on waivers, maybe try and pick hem up cheap just before. they haven't done much so far, but they have been cautious, which i appreciate

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Just my 2 cents. I could see Bear bringing up to a 3rd round pick asset on his own. If the Canes were to trade Bear and also take on a contract like Dickinson or Poolman, I think the cost of that from the Canucks would be a 1st or Hoglander. That doesn't mean the Nucks would ACCEPT that cost, but I'd imagine that's what the Hurricanes would request.

Reactions: DaveG

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Just my 2 cents. I could see Bear bringing up to a 3rd round pick asset on his own. If the Canes were to trade Bear and also take on a contract like Dickinson or Poolman, I think the cost of that from the Canucks would be a 1st or Hoglander. That doesn't mean the Nucks would ACCEPT that cost, but I'd imagine that's what the Hurricanes would request.
Hoglander + Dickinson for Bear I would entertain

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hughes moving to the right side,

Canucks should just go big game hunting and trade for Chychrun instead of Bear.

OEL- Hughes
Chychrun- Myers
Rathbone- Schenn
Poolman

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I’d do it for hoglander

awful idea

Hoglander + Dickinson for Bear I would entertain

To get rid of dickinson's contract, makes more sense. not for the canes tho

this is all accurate

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The issue with Bear is he shows flashes that he's a 2nd pairing guy but has way too many brain farts in his own end. He also doesn't have any "elite" traits, he's kind of just average/above average in most areas.

Guys like that are best served on the 3rd pairing. But since he's a young RHD, the cost to acquire might not be worth it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
not seeing enough of an upgrade from Poolman or Dermott in Ethan Bear to warrant moving an good asset. The idea would have to be that he could partner with Quinn Hughes and be the stay at home defensive conscience with physicality and enough size to handle a power forward so that Quinn Hughes could be complimented.

I just dont see that upside other than possibly as a stop gap. It's not really been his style either to be that player

i would do Dermott for Bear though or for our surplus 4th as both are 1 yr commitments and it gives Van another RD to at least audition in the role as Luke Schenn isnt getting any younger and would allow for 2 players in Rathbone and Bear to help the backline add some offense and puck moving

Prior to Dermott and giving a 3rd in that trade i would have done (3rd for Bear) at this point i think its better to save assets for a bigger fish

Reactions: gianni

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
not seeing enough of an upgrade from Poolman or Dermott in Ethan Bear to warrant moving an good asset.
I could see Vancouver having interest if it was in exchange for Tanner Pearson or Dickinson + a pick or maybe just straight up for a 3rd.

I think Bear is definitely an upgrade over Poolman who is at best a 5/6 d-man who has major injury questions.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
not seeing enough of an upgrade from Poolman or Dermott in Ethan Bear to warrant moving an good asset. The idea would have to be that he could partner with Quinn Hughes and be the stay at home defensive conscience with physicality and enough size to handle a power forward so that Quinn Hughes could be complimented.

I just dont see that upside other than possibly as a stop gap. It's not really been his style either to be that player

i would do Dermott for Bear though or for our surplus 4th as both are 1 yr commitments and it gives Van another RD to at least audition in the role as Luke Schenn isnt getting any younger and would allow for 2 players in Rathbone and Bear to help the backline add some offense and puck moving

Prior to Dermott and giving a 3rd in that trade i would have done (3rd for Bear) at this point i think its better to save assets for a bigger fish

I could see appeal from a Carolina perspective. Dermott would balance out the handedness in the bottom pairing mix. Let competition identify the best combo of Dermott/de Haan (assuming his PTO is successful) and Coghlan/Chatfield. Unlike Dickinson/Poolman/Pearson, the Canes could cut bait just as easily as they can with Bear.

Reactions: sting101

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Why is Hogs the odd man out? How many times over the years have we complained about not being able to roll 4 lines. Remember the bubble when we all talked about how Vegas was able to do this? Now we have Hoglander that can give that 4th line a little bit of scoring prowess. Hogs moves up if there are injuries.
Canucks finally have three scoring lines with three centers who should all be playing about 20 minutes a night. That leaves exactly 0 minutes for the fourth line. Fourth line is going to be used for D-zone faceoffs and should be full of penalty killers to give the top 3 lines some rest. Hoglander is at best the 13th forward, but he's young and needs to play. If there's an injury in the top 9, they can easily fill that role with call-ups. It's good to have that carrot for the minor leaguers and to give them opportunities to work themselves into the line-up. IMO Hoglander made the NHL too early and needs to work on his Dzone and off-puck play at a lower level, and a fresh start would probably help that transition. I think there is also a flight risk to Sweden if he is sent to the AHL.

Reactions: Ruthervin

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
To me Bear is a smart player but he is not physically gifted, so sometimes he tries to do things that he just isn't really capable of. If he simplifies his play and just focuses on making the smart, low risk play then he'll be fine and I can see him as a solid puck moving 4D.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Bear is an interesting case of too much talent and not enough means.

I wouldn't pay anything significant, he be out of the league in 3 years.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Bear is an interesting case of too much talent and not enough means.

I wouldn't pay anything significant, he be out of the league in 3 years.
Don't think the Canes would be asking for anything significant but the 3 years thing? A RHD who can skate (not saying that's a strength for him) at an NHL level will stick around for a long time.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I would think both teams would have prefered to come to an agreement by the start of camp so you can get your guy in and into the system you run. The fact it hasn't happened makes me think that the interest has waned or wasn't very serious.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I would think both teams would have prefered to come to an agreement by the start of camp so you can get your guy in and into the system you run. The fact it hasn't happened makes me think that the interest has waned or wasn't very serious.
The Canucks are trying Hughes on the right side with OEL. They may be looking to see how that shakes out. If it looks like a good idea to run it as a bonafide top pairing, it moves the hole on Hughes right side to Myers' left side, and the Canucks will instead be in the market for a top 4 LD that will fit with Myers. In camp right now Myers is skating with Dekeyser who is on a PTO, which could very well be a stopgap for camp while they look at who's available. Who might be a ~24 year old Dekeyser?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad