Rumor: Canucks interested in Ethan Bear

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If it is Hoglander for Bear - the Canucks can move Ferland to LTIR and roll with a 22 man roster (13F, 7D, 2G) and have 200k to spare, so no cap issues. And if Poolman proves unhealthy, then he moves to LTIR as well and the team can move back to a 23 man roster (14F, 7D, 2G)

Please, when I say Hoglander for Bear this is not indictment on Hoglander, but what the cost would be to upgrade the RH side of the D. By giving Garland, Boeser, and Mihkeyev the contracts they gave it squeezes Hoglander out. Pearson provides size and experience two things the coaching staff will value over what Nils can bring.

Hell, if I was running things I would try to get both Bear and Lundqvist and roll with a Hughes- Bear, OEL- Lundqvist, Dermott-Myers blue line.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Better be pretty much scraps going the other way, because Bear is a spare part for the Canes. Suggestions of Hoglander who is still on his ELC, or Rathbone (arguably our #2 prospect) would be terrible for Van, and would make me have serious questions about this management group. We got Dermott for a 3rd, we shouldn't be paying anything more than that for Bear.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bear for Hoglander?!

Nucks have to be desperate to make that move. And I was a fan of Bear when he was in Edmonton. Bear is a very good outlet guy, that’s about it. His passes are quick, snappy, and accurate. His speed and size holds him back though so he’s likely always a bubble guy.. a guy you could eventually just pick up on waivers if you follow along with him. Don’t know how Nucks fans could possibly think he’s worth Hoglander.

Reactions: Daeavorn

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If it is Hoglander for Bear - the Canucks can move Ferland to LTIR and roll with a 22 man roster (13F, 7D, 2G) and have 200k to spare, so no cap issues. And if Poolman proves unhealthy, then he moves to LTIR as well and the team can move back to a 23 man roster (14F, 7D, 2G)

Please, when I say Hoglander for Bear this is not indictment on Hoglander, but what the cost would be to upgrade the RH side of the D. By giving Garland, Boeser, and Mihkeyev the contracts they gave it squeezes Hoglander out. Pearson provides size and experience two things the coaching staff will value over what Nils can bring.

Hell, if I was running things I would try to get both Bear and Lundqvist and roll with a Hughes- Bear, OEL- Lundqvist, Dermott-Myers blue line.

I think giving out the contracts they did to Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev (among others) is exactly why the need to keep cheap young contributing NHLers like Hoglander around for the years to come. On his ELC now, and likely to be on a cheap bridge deal for at least a couple years afterward. That's the sort of piece you need to have to replace guys like Pearson when you have all that other money committed at the top end of the salary scale up front.

But anyway...the proposed:

Hughes-Bear
OEL-Lundqvist
Dermott-Myers

...somehow manages to make one of the weakest bluelines in the league, actually worse and even smaller and softer. That's impressive.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’ll be very surprised if Bear gets more than a 3rd round pick in a trade. I’d even be surprised if the return was that high.

Reactions: DaveG

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Makes sense. Vancouver is really weak at right shot defensemen. Bear would fit nicely there, as long as they have someone who can cover for him and minimize his errors to play on his pair like he has had in Edmonton and Carolina.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
At some points, Bear looked to be a guy that was developing into a solid #3 defensemen. He was focused on diet and his conditioning.

At other points, a bottom pairing guy who is easily replaceable and at times, struggling with his conditioning.

Seems like with time, he's more the second option. Likely doesn't do much for any team, but great guy and I hope he reaches his full potential.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
At some points, Bear looked to be a guy that was developing into a solid #3 defensemen. He was focused on diet and his conditioning.

At other points, a bottom pairing guy who is easily replaceable and at times, struggling with his conditioning.

Seems like with time, he's more the second option. Likely doesn't do much for any team, but great guy and I hope he reaches his full potential.

He is a 4th defenseman, who needs a defenseminded partner. What I think.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
He is a 4th defenseman, who needs a defenseminded partner. What I think.

I think he has it in him to eventually end up a solid 2nd pair D. I don’t think he’s there right now. If the Canucks are banking on him coming in to be a top 4 answer this year, they’re very likely in for disappointment if they do end up acquiring him.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I don’t think bear is the answer… we may as well roll with the options we have, if it’s not a clear top 4 upgrade.

Hughes- Schenn
OEL- Myers
Rathbone- Dermott/Poolman
Burroughs

Bear would basically slot in on bottom pairing. Not sure that’s much of an improvement, little alone giving up a pick or asset. Sure maybe if we are swapping poolman for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad