Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 - Jets 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not really taking anything from this game. Team looks ragged and some looked clearly sick.

Only concern is yes, there are games in hand, but that means a lot of games in a short amount of time. They need to pace themselves, and the goalie.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
or maybe perfetti just isn't ready yet, like many other young players before him..
The Jets are deep enough at forward at the moment that they can afford to send him down to the Moose & allow him to get his game together.

Worked for Connor in 2017. Made the opening day roster in 2016, but failed to do so the following year. A short 4 game stink stint with the Moose & he ame back to outscore everyone on the Jets not named Laine. Connor netted 31 goals scored 57 points that season.

That's good trivia actually! How many players start the season in the minors but go to score 30 goals in an NHL season? (ps I have no idea...)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
With a health Vilardi
Connor Scheifele Ehlers
Vilardi Monahan Spicoli
Iafallo Lowry Neo
Perfetti Namestnikov Barron
At least to start the playoffs anyway.
I can't see Bones playing 2 right hand wingers on the same line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets are deep enough at forward at the moment that they can afford to send him down to the Moose & allow him to get his game together.

Worked for Connor in 2017. Made the opening day roster in 2016, but failed to do so the following year. A short 4 game stink stint with the Moose & he ame back to outscore everyone on the Jets not named Laine. Connor netted 31 goals scored 57 points that season.

That's good trivia actually! How many players start the season in the minors but go to score 30 goals in an NHL season? (ps I have no idea...)

Different situation. He ended 2016 on the Moose and then started 2017 on the Moose. Cole has played well over 100 straight NHL games.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So these are the 12 forwards when healthy, Scheifele, KFC, Nik, Apples, Mony, Lurch, Barron, Toffoli, Nino, Vilardi, Toffoli, and Vladdy. We have some scoring punch with those 12 but you have to get the right combinations that gives you maximum scoring potential. Pefertti, Gus and Kupari are the black aces going into the playoffs. Not sure where Miller slots in but you have to think they brought him here to get into some action but the 6 D seem to be set for the playoffs.
When does the roster expand?
I like to see the fourth switch around with different players like let AJF play a game here and there. He seems to play with lots of energy when he gets a shot.
Nothing like good competition it keeps players on their toes and if the energy is not there ... next man up.

Reactions: hn777
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Different situation. He ended 2016 on the Moose and then started 2017 on the Moose. Cole has played well over 100 straight NHL games.
True. But a stint in the minors can certainly play a positive role in ones development.

I wonder if the Hartman incident plays a role?

36 gp 10g-14 assists pre Harman incident on December 30th.

23 gp 3 g-3 assists post Harman accusing him of lying on January 5th, 3 points of which came in a single game vs Columbus.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm really disappointed about Kupari, I was really hoping he was going to be the surprise gem in the deal.

I still think we won the trade but it's not the spanking we originally thought it was

The biggest addition is still clearly the subtraction. Just for the cap space it would have been worth it.

If Gabe could stay healthy it would help. Can you imagine if he was Perfetti or Bryan Little’s size all of Gabe’s fragility could be blamed on the “not big enough for the NHL” folks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
True. But a stint in the minors can certainly play a positive role in ones development.

I wonder if the Hartman incident plays a role?

36 gp 10g-14 assists pre Harman incident on December 30th.

23 gp 3 g-3 assists post Harman accusing him of lying on January 5th, 3 points of which came in a single game vs Columbus.

Honestly I think a good amount is just poor puck luck. He generated plenty of grade A chances prior to being demoted to the fourth line, they just weren't going in/being converted. Also his pp time was cut around then as our coach started running the top unit a good minute and a half per pp, which essentially means the second unit gets one shot to get setup and generate a chance.

On the fourth line he's being tasked to play a game that isn't in his wheelhouse so of course he looks bad and ineffective playing it.

But I think lack of 5 on 5 offense for the team is a coaching problem. Second straight year we have tanked with regards to 5 on 5 scoring the second half of the year. I really do wonder if our coaching tightens things up the back half heading into the playoffs. Really only the top line seems to be allowed to actually be creative. Even Ehlers looks for long range point shots and tips these days.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The biggest addition is still clearly the subtraction. Just for the cap space it would have been worth it.

If Gabe could stay healthy it would help. Can you imagine if he was Perfetti or Bryan Little’s size all of Gabe’s fragility could be blamed on the “not big enough for the NHL” folks.
You got that right on the trade ... it was worth just for the cap space but its not looking lopsided anymore.

It's not about size ... its the toughness. There are small tough players who can handle it and then there's some players no matter the size who get injuried coming out of the shower. I'm hoping Vilardi's bad luck is just him breaking a mirror 7 years ago.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I really wish we could just start doing again what made us successful in December. Just create a highlight reel, sit them all down, and drill it into their brains.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I totally agree.

Far worse is if we signed pld to that albatross of a contract

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Yea that is pretty crippling and the room also has to deal with his on again, now mostly off again, give a shit factor.

Makes me wonder if there might not be some legit emotional challenges he is working through.
I'm no doctor in terms of his mind set but when he was brought here wasn't there talk that having his dad here would give him stability and emotional support.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Wow, I thought I had a bad night but the Jets were major suckage. Just finished watching the highlights (?) package and it looks like we couldn't pass, or shoot, or check, or block, or do practically anything. Watching them trying to find or clear the puck from in front of their net reminded me of when you run the lawn mower over an anthill and everybody panics.

So, time for me to take a deep breath and remember: We are in 2nd place in our division, 3rd place in our conference and we still have games in hand. Remind myself not to slip into the "yeah but we have to win those in hand" type of thinking and just remain calm. And on Monday night, finally, I'm going to be at home and watch an entire Jets game.

And hoping we don't suck again.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sucking since the All-Star Break: A Jets Tradition since 2023...

Yet they're still 10-6 during that time period, which paces for 100+ point season

If all you wanted to do was win corsi matchups and didn't give a shit about wins and losses, you oghtta trade Helle and spend that cap on a winger who shoots a lot and replace Helle with a league minimum goalie

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yet they're still 10-6 during that time period, which paces for 100+ point season

If all you wanted to do was win corsi matchups and didn't give a shit about wins and losses, you oghtta trade Helle and spend that cap on a winger who shoots a lot and replace Helle with a league minimum goalie
Isn't he the one who said the faceoff stats are not important.
I'm so sick of corsi stats.
You win the corsi but lose the game ... you lose the game but win the corsi.
What good are corsi stats if it proves over and over again by winning the corsi means crap because winning the corsi does not give you 2 points.

Hey I did notice thou winning a faceoff late in the period/game/OT or on the PP leads to goals but hey corsi is more important that faceoffs.:laugh:
Also by winning faceoffs your corsi improves ... right?

Reactions: Dale53130

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Isn't he the one who said the faceoff stats are not important.
I'm so sick of corsi stats.
You win the corsi but lose the game ... you lose the game but win the corsi.
What good are corsi stats if it proves over and over again by winning the corsi means crap because winning the corsi does not give you 2 points.

Hey I did notice thou winning a faceoff late in the period/game/OT or on the PP leads to goals but hey corsi is more important that faceoffs.:laugh:
Also by winning faceoffs your corsi improves ... right?
I compare faceoffs to air travel

Overwhelmingly, flying in a plane is safe. BUT when something goes wrong, the results are disastrous

Same with faceoffs. Most have little to no bearing on the outcome of a game, but when you lose one in your end in a tie game with 30 seconds left and the other team scores to win, it's a disaster

Happened in Calgary (I believe) at the start of the year when Schmidt iced the puck for no reason. I'll never forget when Vlasic scored on us in a game vs the Sharks years ago with 8 seconds left

And someone please tell me that this faceoff "didn't matter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad