Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Bruins 4: Oh no, we suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You kind of contradicted yourself. Reward for tanking , yet you admit we draft terribly. So what's the point?

Because tanking is the best way to make your drafting ability not matter?

If we pick 1st overall we can't screw up as badly as if we pick 25th. Even if we pick the wrong guy at #1 it's still likely to be better than picking the wrong guy at #25.

Comprende?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hey look! A message board hyperbole to try to prove a point ..... again. Shocker, I've never seen that one before. Instead of being an extremist , let's get to the point. My point is Vatrano was playing half the year in their minor team, yet can get called up and produce. We don't have anyone like that.

Have you *seen* his production in the minors? On his own he has probably half of the goals our entire AHL team has scored.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't know why, this isn't something new from Willie. He's made tons of terrible decisions since day one.

Well the media seems driven to operate under the assumption that WD isn't totally incompetent. Or else it means Linden/Benning are also incompetent for keeping him employed. To be fair, JPat also criticized media coverage after nobody asked about the deployment issues to end the game.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah I get why they are gutless. Especially with the history of the Canucks blackballing and asking media members to get fired for asking the tough questions. There's a fairly available storied history on this. When you don't have competition in media, all we get is spoon fed garbage.

Nobody will ask how we are the highest spending team with the least amount of points per dollar by a long shot. Not only that, nothing in the pipeline. The organization is a literal trainwreck and not close to being competitive.

And you just answered your own question why people are cheering for a tank.

TANK = new management.

Simple as that.

If this team makes the playoffs than the possibility of this management team getting turfed is 0%.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs than that possibility is > 0%.

The lower the team finishes, the higher that possibility.

Posters need to stop talking the tank being about draft picks and understand that its about new management.

Without new management, it'll be 1 step forward, 2 steps back and we will continue to bleed forever. Just as we have right from the get go.

I hope this makes sense.

PS. I absolutely hate the fact that I'm cheering against my own team. A certain part of me feels like I'm betraying the players. But I reconcile this cognitive dissonance by projecting that self-loathing I feel onto the folks that are responsible for making me feel this way and that's Jimbo and his clownshow.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Well the media seems driven to operate under the assumption that WD isn't totally incompetent. Or else it means Linden/Benning are also incompetent for keeping him employed. To be fair, JPat also criticized media coverage after nobody asked about the deployment issues to end the game.
linden/benning are very incompetent for even thinking that Willie is competent to coach this team.but hey keep going the way we are going,some one will eventually loose there job..
But not fast enough.....

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You kind of contradicted yourself. Reward for tanking , yet you admit we draft terribly. So what's the point?

Even Jim Benning has shown he is capable of drafting a player in the top 3 (Seguin.) When you're that high up the odds of you ****ing up a draft pick are virtually non-existent and you'd have to actively be trying to sabotage yourself at that point.

The last top 3 selection that hasn't really panned out well was Jack Johnson. In 2005. That'd be 12 years ago.

Then Cam Barker in 2004 and Svitov in 2001.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Hey look! A message board hyperbole to try to prove a point ..... again. Shocker, I've never seen that one before. Instead of being an extremist , let's get to the point. My point is Vatrano was playing half the year in their minor team, yet can get called up and produce. We don't have anyone like that.

Bruins fan. Good game tonight, could have easily gone either way.

Vatrano wasn't "playing half the year" in our affiliate in Providence. He was injured for 3+ months (foot). He was pretty much a lock for the Bruins, hadn't he been injured.
Last year, for his development, it was deemed better to have him develop in the AHL for the remainder of the season because he was a little raw. There, he scored 36 goals in 36 games and put up a total of 55 points.
Vatrano is a shooter, that's his #1 asset. This season he has 7 goals in 23 games, a 25 goals pace over 82. I am very confident that he will be a 30 goals scorer very soon.
He might have gone undrafted, but he is not an unknown by any means. He also was at the World Championship in 2016 where he put up 3g/5a for team USA in 10 games.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Even Jim Benning has shown he is capable of drafting a player in the top 3 (Seguin.) When you're that high up the odds of you ****ing up a draft pick are virtually non-existent and you'd have to actively be trying to sabotage yourself at that point.

The last top 3 selection that hasn't really panned out well was Jack Johnson. In 2005. That'd be 12 years ago.

Then Cam Barker in 2004 and Svitov in 2001.

Yakupov

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Not sure why everyone on here is happy for a tank. We are one of the poorest drafting teams ever. Literally look back to 40 years of missing out on studs. We are no Detroit. We will finish 28 and draft some project with a busted knee (Rodin) or busted shoulder (Virtanen) or busted skating (Hodgson) etc etc. Nothing to be looking forward too. Great NHL players will get drafted after our pick and we will be talking about it next year. Rinse and repeat. Meanwhile we pluck all the 'Reid Bouchers' out there.

You're probably the most negative poster here because you even criticize the tanking/rebuilding direction. There's a negative spin on everything with the Canucks for you. So what SHOULD the Canucks do? Just fold? I'm sure that's actually what you want because you clearly hate this team with a passion.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I started at 2000 and went up to 2010 because I didn't want to get into "too early to tell" mode. Even still, Yak City is most likely going to be an NHL regular, just not hit the ceiling he was projected to hit.

You could probably put Gudbranson into that category as well: okay NHL player, but nowhere near being worthy of a top 3 pick. That St. Louis defenseman, too. Erik Johnson. His start was marred by a broken leg (broken while golfing I think?) and he didn't pan out as hoped for.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You're probably the most negative poster here because you even criticize the tanking/rebuilding direction. There's a negative spin on everything with the Canucks for you. So what SHOULD the Canucks do? Just fold? I'm sure that's actually what you want because you clearly hate this team with a passion.

Lot of hate here lol. The Canucks should hire competent people and draft properly. You comment on my posts but not about the facts I stated. Look at the people I mentioned that we drafted and more importantly who we didn't draft.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Always makes me laugh when people on message boards use hyperbole to prove a point but disregard actual history. Yes I get it , it's fun to say extreme things (see Donald Trump) but back to reality.

Yes you are partially correct. We have a long long (probably 5+ years) of us being mediocre or worse.

The problem is, in all your negative blabbering you haven't once suggested what YOU think the team should do. Nobody takes you seriously because it's perfectly clear that all you want to do is b-itch.

Last edited:

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Terrible personnel usage at the end of the game. Willie should be fired for so many reasons but owners probably don't want to pay up. Julien will be nearly as expensive as Babcock so likely the owners won't go for him either, despite the connection with Benning.

Well likely end up with gallant at best. Greene at worst? ...no... there could be worse.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lot of hate here lol. The Canucks should hire competent people and draft properly. You comment on my posts but not about the facts I stated. Look at the people I mentioned that we drafted and more importantly who we didn't draft.

My comments on the facts are well known here because I post in a variety of different situations, both after wins and losses, in positive debates and negative debates. Unlike you, who just shows up at a time like this.

Virtanen looks awful, yes, and I'm a but wary of Benning's and the scouts' priorities when it comes to drafting, especially with our high first round picks. However, I ultimately still feel it's better to get that high pick because chances are we will get a very good player (I'm talking about a top 3 pick. Even Benning can't screw THAT up).

Obviously I also feel that the entire brass needs to be canned so some competent people can come in and do what needs to be done.

There, that's my opinion on how the Canucks can be successful. Now what's yours? Or is your brain about to explode struggling to comprehend the meaning of the Canucks being successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad