Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Bruins 4: Oh no, we suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Not sure why everyone on here is happy for a tank. We are one of the poorest drafting teams ever. Literally look back to 40 years of missing out on studs. We are no Detroit. We will finish 28 and draft some project with a busted knee (Rodin) or busted shoulder (Virtanen) or busted skating (Hodgson) etc etc. Nothing to be looking forward too. Great NHL players will get drafted after our pick and we will be talking about it next year. Rinse and repeat. Meanwhile we pluck all the 'Reid Bouchers' out there.

Well, I'll try to explain my reasoning. In Sweden, we don't have drafts in any sports - so the idea of tanking is fairly alien to me. Over here, losing has actual real consequences as demotion to a lower league so it's wired into to me that losing is very, very bad (not saying that it isn't on your side of the pond btw!). Point being: you don't get rewarded with prospects for losing.

However, in the NHL, you do. So even if I can't fully commit to team Tank on principle, I can't just sit here and watch as we tread water either. I watch this team play and I see nothing within this group that is good enough for anything more than, at best, a first round exit for years to come. The Sedins are declining. Horvat is great, but all teams have someone of his ilk. Our goaltending is decent, but we're riding the aging vet chasing an 8th seed. That line of thinking just won't do us any good. Finally, I think another shambolic 25-29th finish will force at least one of WD and JB out. And we need them out. Because they are not embracing an actual rebuild, nor are they making serious moves to build in other ways. They are stacking up on youngish players of (low) top 4/top 6 defenders and borderline top 9 forwards but this is still very much an old team, lead by 30 + players (and Horvat).

We need to try something else, and I think bottoming is needed. Even if I dislike the idea of tanking as a method, it migh be the only way.

Stecher
Horvat
Boeser*
Juoelvi*
Demko*

That group will take us nowhere, sadly. And 3/5 hasn't made it here yet and are therefore, unknowns.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hutton looks like a different player since signing his deal. Literally before the ink was dry he turned in to a turnover machine. WTF happened to him?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well, I'll try to explain my reasoning. In Sweden, we don't have drafts in any sports - so the idea of tanking is fairly alien to me. Over here, losing has actual real consequences as demotion to a lower league so it's wired into to me that losing is very, very bad (not saying that it isn't on your side of the pond btw!). Point being: you don't get rewarded with prospects for losing.

However, in the NHL, you do. So even if I can't fully commit to team Tank on principle, I can't just sit here and watch as we tread water either. I watch this team play and I see nothing within this group that is good enough for anything more than, at best, a first round exit for years to come. The Sedins are declining. Horvat is great, but all teams have someone of his ilk. Our goaltending is decent, but we're riding the aging vet chasing an 8th seed. That line of thinking just won't do us any good. Finally, I think another shambolic 25-29th finish will force at least one of WD and JB out. And we need them out. Because they are not embracing an actual rebuild, nor are they making serious moves to build in other ways. They are stacking up youngish players of (low) top 4/top 6 defenders and borderline top 9 forwards but this is still very much an old team, lead by 30 + players.

We need to try something else, and I think bottoming is needed. Even if I dislike the idea of tanking as a method, it migh be the only way.

Stecher
Horvat
Boeser*
Juoelvi*
Demko*

That group will take us nowhere, sadly. And 3/5 hasn't made it here yet and are therefore, unknowns.

You kind of contradicted yourself. Reward for tanking , yet you admit we draft terribly. So what's the point?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
TIL the 2016 co-winner of the Red Garrett Memorial Award for AHL rookie of the year - a guy who went goal per game at the AHL level - is a nobody

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Guess we should just forfeit every draft pick for the rest of our existence. Who needs them?

Literally jumping to a different topic. What does draft picks have to do with my point that Vatrano is not a household name yet can produce consistently and we don't have anyone like that in our farm system. ???

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Not sure why everyone on here is happy for a tank. We are one of the poorest drafting teams ever. Literally look back to 40 years of missing out on studs. We are no Detroit. We will finish 28 and draft some project with a busted knee (Rodin) or busted shoulder (Virtanen) or busted skating (Hodgson) etc etc. Nothing to be looking forward too. Great NHL players will get drafted after our pick and we will be talking about it next year. Rinse and repeat. Meanwhile we pluck all the 'Reid Bouchers' out there.

Better fold the franchise, there is no hope ever and we will just exist in a circle of mediocrity for infinity

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Hutton looks like a different player since signing his deal. Literally before the ink was dry he turned in to a turnover machine. WTF happened to him?

he looked poor to end last season and the entire first month of the season. suddenly got a 2yr/5.6m Portmann Bridge deal. i didn't like it then and i don't like it now.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
You kind of contradicted yourself. Reward for tanking , yet you admit we draft terribly. So what's the point?

Yeah, we have been struggling somewhat in that department (mostly Virtanen though - I wouldn't rule Juoelvi out yet even if he's an unknown). But, I was thinking that a poor season might solve both issues with a new management brass. Also, more picks/prospects = more tickets to the lottery. The current way of "retooling" obviously isn't working either is it? We're trying to cut corners, getting younger by bleeding picks and prospects for players like Guddy and Granlund, instead of fully embracing a rebuild and developing our own players.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Literally jumping to a different topic. What does draft picks have to do with my point that Vatrano is not a household name yet can produce consistently and we don't have anyone like that in our farm system. ???

It was going back to your original point. We should just exist, agreed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
God, I hate our media. Nobody in the press circle even asked WD about player deployment in the last 5 minutes.

What do you expect?....half the guys asking the questions are "house men" paid by the team....and the guys from Post-Media may as well be...Canucks have the worst record in the entire NHL for a reason.....coaching and player deployment are the biggest reason.....but try to find anyone from "the media" who actually asks about it in the post-game scrum.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Better fold the franchise, there is no hope ever and we will just exist in a circle of mediocrity for infinity

Always makes me laugh when people on message boards use hyperbole to prove a point but disregard actual history. Yes I get it , it's fun to say extreme things (see Donald Trump) but back to reality.

Yes you are partially correct. We have a long long (probably 5+ years) of us being mediocre or worse.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Anybody not drafted is a nobody.

Hey look! A message board hyperbole to try to prove a point ..... again. Shocker, I've never seen that one before. Instead of being an extremist , let's get to the point. My point is Vatrano was playing half the year in their minor team, yet can get called up and produce. We don't have anyone like that.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Toothless media for a spineless team. Both media and team are so soft. Media is scared of being blackballed ala Burkie days if they ever challenge the coach.

Do your job media. Glad half these guys got canned last week. We only have 1 media source for radio and 1 media source for print. Hands in each other's pockets.

There is only really one game in town to cover which means the Canucks have ALL the leverage.

If you're relying on the Canucks being nice to you so you can pay your mortgage than damn rights you're going to go soft.

Perspective.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
JPat is losing it on the post-game show about the player deployment at the end of the game.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Always makes me laugh when people on message boards use hyperbole to prove a point but disregard actual history. Yes I get it , it's fun to say extreme things (see Donald Trump) but back to reality.

Yes you are partially correct. We have a long long (probably 5+ years) of us being mediocre or worse.

The irony of this is legitimately hilarious

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
There is only really one game in town to cover which means the Canucks have ALL the leverage.

If you're relying on the Canucks being nice to you so you can pay your mortgage than damn rights you're going to go soft.

Perspective.

Yeah I get why they are gutless. Especially with the history of the Canucks blackballing and asking media members to get fired for asking the tough questions. There's a fairly available storied history on this. When you don't have competition in media, all we get is spoon fed garbage.

Nobody will ask how we are the highest spending team with the least amount of points per dollar by a long shot. Not only that, nothing in the pipeline. The organization is a literal trainwreck and not close to being competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad