Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ 2018 World Championships (Pettersson, Nilsson win GOLD!!!)

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Hey guys, just FYI, but the Canadian players don't really try very hard at this tournament. They're typically more concerned with figuring out who they're taking back to their hotel room after the game.

I haven't really been watching so I'd appreciate if people can describe what Bill Peters was doing that was so terrible, so I know what to watch for in Calgary.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't think Peters is a bad coach necessarily. His system gets great shot differential, and has lots of flow. Problem is that it suffers from catastrophic breakdowns a lot. Now that he's in Calgary there won't be any "but he did such a good job with what he had" excuses.

Except of course he's a coach who past history says can't manage goalies, in a town that has struggled with goaltending since Kipper retired.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I don't think Peters is a bad coach necessarily. His system gets great shot differential, and has lots of flow. Problem is that it suffers from catastrophic breakdowns a lot. Now that he's in Calgary there won't be any "but he did such a good job with what he had" excuses.

Except of course he's a coach who past history says can't manage goalies, in a town that has struggled with goaltending since Kipper retired.

Good.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
15 shots over 60+ minutes is crap hockey and yes, kitty-bar-the-door is crap hockey, lockdown hockey for 60+minutes is crap hockey, playing for 1pt as soon as the puck drops IS crap hockey... nobody wants the dead puck era.

I totally get the game plan against stronger teams but it is HORRIBLE to watch and, in the end, it's crap hockey.

Here's hoping Latvia can graduate to a high speed, up tempo, skill game in the years to come. The more teams playing that style the better but with a coach like Bob Hartley... don't bet on it.

Congrats on yer point.
Then it's up to the "more skilled" to break down these scrubs. Can't put all the blame on just one team.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Are they actually pumping in all of that crowd noise like the chanting and singing?

I've noticed this every game I've watched; there might be a handful of fans in the arena but a big boisterous chorus of fans singing... and I've yet to see them pan the cameras to any of these groups of people who are doing the chanting.

I also only remember this in third periods but i might have just not been paying close enough attention.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Not sure about the noise generation BUT Canada wins 3-0 over a tough German team. Looks like they'll finish 3rd in their pool and play the 2nd place finisher in Group A (loser of Today's Russia/Sweden game).

Going to be a HELLUVA an ask for Canada to pull out a win in the quarters over either of those teams. They have to be hoping Russia loses as Sweden looks formidable now, granted, they do have Nilsson in net so if I'm Canada (and Horvat can attest to this) I'm pushing for Sweden.

;)

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Are they actually pumping in all of that crowd noise like the chanting and singing?

I've noticed this every game I've watched; there might be a handful of fans in the arena but a big boisterous chorus of fans singing... and I've yet to see them pan the cameras to any of these groups of people who are doing the chanting.

I also only remember this in third periods but i might have just not been paying close enough attention.
They do
But also European fans are generally more pationate and unified than us

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Great game by Nilsson today, besides Zibanejad probably the best player on team (Ekholm not to be forgotten either though). Picked up an assist on the 2-1 goal as a bonus.
Here's the one that got past him

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad