Post-Game Talk: Can't Win Em All - Ducks 4 Jets 3 (OT)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not mad about this loss, we left with one point and Roslovic had an amazing goal, made future hall of famer Getzlaf look stupid and got his first NHL goal unassisted... unless an assist from Getzlaf would count. Goes to show how good he is down the middle and breaking up plays. Hard to tell if he's already earned a spot on the roster or if he'll be heading down to the Moose.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not mad about this loss, we left with one point and Roslovic had an amazing goal, made future hall of famer Getzlaf look stupid and got his first NHL goal unassisted... unless an assist from Getzlaf would count. Goes to show how good he is down the middle and breaking up plays. Hard to tell if he's already earned a spot on the roster or if he'll be heading down to the Moose.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what happens when everyone is healthy.

Wheels, Scheif, Ehlers, Laine, Perreault, Copp, Lowry, Armia and Little are all likely locks. That's 9 roster spots locked down. Then you have Tanev, Matthias, Dano and Hendricks who all need waivers. That is 12 full time spots and one PB guy along with two guys in Connor and Roslovic who deserve starting spots but could end up being victims of waivers. If somehow we make it to the deadline then we can keep them all around and cycle guys in to keep them fresh and give others a break before playoffs. But if we get healthy before then they may get sent down for awhile and then get the call up after the deadline. OR we may see some trades for futures occur. OR we may see a trade for better defensive depth. A great predicament to be in but a predicament none the less. I think Matthias is the obvious choice to be dealt to keep at least one of them with the club.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Welp, I think most of us were just hoping to tread water without Scheifele and stay in the race.

We've gone 8-2-2 without him, half of that without Lowry. 7 out of 8 points heading into the break. Gotta be pretty happy with that, and a 10 game homestand for when we come out of the break, on which Scheifele will at some point rejoin the team.

Things looking really good.

As I alluded to last game, for a "holding pattern", we seem to be holding our own mighty damn well.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Was Maurice just trying to make the team feel good using Hendricks there? So many weapons on this team.

I don't understand how that would make the team feel good. Presumably the team feels good when it wins. I think sending Hendricks out made Hendricks' kid feel good. Pandering to a plug at the expense of the team.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't understand how that would make the team feel good. Presumably the team feels good when it wins. I think sending Hendricks out made Hendricks' kid feel good. Pandering to a plug at the expense of the team.

As mentioned earlier, Hendricks has an above-average record on the shootout, which is a far better predictor of shootout success than "regular season scoring prowess" which has essentially zero correlation. Zero doubt the decision was made for no other reason than the coach felt Hendricks was the best choice to put out there; the 'feel-good' narrative was picked up with and ran by the sports casters cause that's what they do.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I was working night shift so had to listen on radio so I didn't see the game but from the way it sounded the team was playing for OT and kind of just gave up after that. Sounded like it was all Ducks in 3v3. I imagine the team was happy enough with a point and maybe the guys bugged him to put Hendy in. He is loved by everyone on the team so I imagine Mo wasn't the only person on the bench to see him get a shot. Of course I wouldn't have done it but I'm also not the guy behind that bench.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
OK show your work then. Because I admit I couldn't find the stats over the last 5 years but I googled Matt Hendricks and shootouts and found a story from Jan 2016 about Hendricks shootout move "The paralyzer" providing great success for the Oilers. 2016 is within 5 years is it not?

Guess Miller read the same story.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As mentioned earlier, Hendricks has an above-average record on the shootout, which is a far better predictor of shootout success than "regular season scoring prowess" which has essentially zero correlation. Zero doubt the decision was made for no other reason than the coach felt Hendricks was the best choice to put out there; the 'feel-good' narrative was picked up with and ran by the sports casters cause that's what they do.

As far as Hendricks goes in shootout since 2013 he has 2 goals in 13 attempts for a 15.38% success rate, his career rate is higher but lately he kind of sucks and he has now fallen to 2 in 14 attempts. Ehlers has a career 0% success rate in 3 attempts. Connor, Roslovic, Copp, Dano, Tanev and Armia have 0 attempts. Buff has a 0% success rate on 7 attempts. Perreault is actually one of the more abysmal shootout players as he is 2 for 11 in his career for a 18.2% success rate and has now fallen to 2 in 12. Little is 17 in 54 for a 31.5% success rate and Wheeler is 23 in 66 attempts for a 34.8% success rate so you obviously go with them every time.

I agree that having a good shootout record is a much better predictor of shootout success then "regular season scoring prowess" but that argument really only works when the other guys you are choosing from have actually had a chance at proving they can or can't score in a shootout.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

As mentioned earlier . . .
He was once a great SO player... but is 3 in last 23, 2 in last 20, as pointed out to me by Ryder.

His paralyzer is no longer paralyzingly anyone...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I was working night shift so had to listen on radio so I didn't see the game but from the way it sounded the team was playing for OT and kind of just gave up after that. Sounded like it was all Ducks in 3v3. I imagine the team was happy enough with a point and maybe the guys bugged him to put Hendy in. He is loved by everyone on the team so I imagine Mo wasn't the only person on the bench to see him get a shot. Of course I wouldn't have done it but I'm also not the guy behind that bench.

Man, that's some good story telling. Even if that tall tale is true, an extra point in the standings is worth more than an asinine "feel good" story.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Man, that's some good story telling. Even if that tall tale is true, an extra point in the standings is worth more than an asinine "feel good" story.

Oh for sure I agree. The team on the bench might not though in that moment.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
okay after the first 4 pages, I skipped until the end of the thread because it's just silly and embarrassing how some here can get wind up just because Matt Hendricks took a shootout attempt :laugh: We had a great Cali road trip without Scheifele and Lowry, are still 1st in central, have ten games in a row coming up at home and your only problems still is having to find something you can shit on Maurice? Well, whatever floats your boat.

Trouba had one of his best games this season. I hope he can keep it up over the 2nd half and into the playoffs. I liked Roslovic but honestly I wonder if Wheeler might not actually be a better center than RW. Seemed to be rather invisible mostly.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Normally I'd prefer a situation where the inmates aren't running the asylum, but since it's Maurice at the helm . . .

I mean it's extremely likely that most coaches if not all have conversations with the players on who to put in for a shootout. They usually all huddle together and talk about it. I'd imagine there is some input from the players. I suppose if we miss the playoff by a point we can look back on this moment and be sour about it.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
As far as Hendricks goes in shootout since 2013 he has 2 goals in 13 attempts for a 15.38% success rate, his career rate is higher but lately he kind of sucks and he has now fallen to 2 in 14 attempts. Ehlers has a career 0% success rate in 3 attempts. Connor, Roslovic, Copp, Dano, Tanev and Armia have 0 attempts. Buff has a 0% success rate on 7 attempts. Perreault is actually one of the more abysmal shootout players as he is 2 for 11 in his career for a 18.2% success rate and has now fallen to 2 in 12. Little is 17 in 54 for a 31.5% success rate and Wheeler is 23 in 66 attempts for a 34.8% success rate so you obviously go with them every time.

I agree that having a good shootout record is a much better predictor of shootout success then "regular season scoring prowess" but that argument really only works when the other guys you are choosing from have actually had a chance at proving they can or can't score in a shootout.
Ehlers has 1 goal against TBL last year.. so 1 for 4.. 25 %.. 2 times on the post..he was the first shooter for halifax in junior. we all know he cant score on breakaways. But shootouts is something else, i would try him in shootouts again :)

Reactions: ocdaddy

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ehlers has 1 goal against TBL last year.. so 1 for 4.. 25 %.. 2 times on the post..he was the first shooter for halifax in junior. we all know he cant score on breakaways. But shootouts is something else, i would try him in shootouts again :)

Are you sure? There doesn't seem to be a record of it anywhere. Hockey Ref has him listed as 0 for 3, listed as 0 for 1 in the 16/17 season. Sporting Stats also has him listed as 0 for 1 in the 16/17 season. Are you sure it wasn't a penalty shot?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Lets see hot goalie with a .924 sv. %

Six real NHL D men

A really good top six with good depth in the bottom six,

but yeah I can see how second place in the conference is all on coaching!
No one said it's ALL on coaching :rolleyes: You can't just blame the coach when the team performs badly and not give 'em credit for the teams success. You can't have it both ways, you see. I'm neither a fan or a hater of PoMo, but as far as I can tell he has had poor success with bad teams and bad goaltending, and so far this season he's had great success with a talented team and good goaltending. It's as simple as that.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Are you sure? There doesn't seem to be a record of it anywhere. Hockey Ref has him listed as 0 for 3, listed as 0 for 1 in the 16/17 season. Sporting Stats also has him listed as 0 for 1 in the 16/17 season. Are you sure it wasn't a penalty shot?
yeah it was a penalty shot..sorry forgot to write it .. well almost the same

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
yeah it was a penalty shot..sorry forgot to write it .. well almost the same

Yeah I suppose those might be a bit different.

Jets PS stats are

Connor - 0 for 1
Ehlers - 1 for 1
Little - 1 for 1
Kane - 0 for 3
Slater - 0 for 1
Wellwood - 0 for 1
Thorburn - 0 for 1
Antropov - 0 for 1

We usually get about 1 a year, except for our first season back where we had 4 in one season and not a single goal. E.Kane is actually 1 for 5 if you count his first season in Atlanta as well.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
/rant

Holy f*** this place some times.
It’s either bitching and moaning about Buff. Or bitching or moaning about Maurice. Or bitching and moaning about something.... why can’t nice things be enjoyed in joyville?

News flash maurice isn’t a moron or a terrible coach.

Actually if this keeps up the rest of the way Maurice may find himself a finalist for coach of the year.

Last time I checked (10 minutes ago) the Jets were first in their division and second in the western conference.... at the all start break.

Not very many people said that would happen before the year started.

/endrant

Whileee

May 29, 2010
/rant

Holy **** this place some times.
It’s either *****ing and moaning about Buff. Or *****ing or moaning about Maurice. Or *****ing and moaning about something.... why can’t nice things be enjoyed in joyville?

News flash maurice isn’t a moron or a terrible coach.

Actually if this keeps up the rest of the way Maurice may find himself a finalist for coach of the year.

Last time I checked (10 minutes ago) the Jets were first in their division and second in the western conference.... at the all start break.

Not very many people said that would happen before the year started.

/endrant
Some folks seem almost depressed that the Jets are good, undercutting the remarkably popular meme that Chevy and Maurice are morons and Chipman is a cheap owner that is out of his depth.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Tough game, well deserved point.

Laine giveth, and Laine taketh away. First line pots two goals against the Getzlaf line though so that's cool. Thank goodness it's only home games here on out until we Scheif back.

Ehlers heard that Buff and Wheeler are having a dumbest penalty competition and gives his entry.

I hope Gibson is ok, but Wheeler casually taking him out was funny.

If someone has really not caught on yet, the reason why we are not "treading water" is because our lines got fixed and the TOI is properly managed. One man does not make or break a team, you can ask the Oilers about that.

I'm really liking how Maurice is managing this roster in-game though. Maurice has been looking solid IMO. No problems with the Hendricks SO, I'm sure they had some reason. Maybe just leave it at that for now and pick someone else next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scheifelaine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad