Post-Game Talk: Can't Win Em All - Ducks 4 Jets 3 (OT)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I read today that Hendrick's son was with the team in Anaheim where he got to go out for a meal with them and to their practice. This was a huge deal for him because he was able to meet some of his favorite players like Laine and Wheeler.

In light of this, I have to hand it to Maurice for sending Hendricks out for the shoot out ...knowing how important this game was to him personally.

There's probably not one player on the team who would begrudge Hendricks this opportunity.....and not one player who didn't take note that their coach would do the same for any one of them.

Of course, I might be completely off base here, but it's a possibility.

Thats a great feel good story for sure but thought we were trying to win games

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
A lot of stuff from this game.

Really impressed with their composure and ability to bounce back and stay in this game.
We all love scoring a goal seconds after the home team has scored... they hadn't even announced their goal yet.

Bad luck on a couple of bounces.

Trouba was so good. 2016-17 good.
Morrissey will need the break he took a beating and kept going.

I was just as irate as everyone else on the Hendo SO choice... but by the time I read everyone's comments I calmed down. Sucks that the ice in ALL of the rinks (including ours) is such $&!#. That hurts a speedy skilled team like us.

THE REFS - Every game there are usually several missed calls. I recall calling out several times on interference, the missed stick to the face on Buff was BS. But overall I didn't get the same sense that basically everyone else got. Weird, usually I catch all of this stuff but I didn't find myself thinking this was worse then other games for missed penalties.
But based on the near consensus opinion I'll assume that the masses are correct.

The Jets trying to deal with the Ducks possession in 3 on 3
giphy.gif

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think it does need a winger to replace Dano that can skate and bang.Also need to get a Enstrom replacement he looked horrible tonight and always does against big strong teams.

Ahhhh my nemesis Zhamnov10... or my brother...?

We have Scheif and Lowry coming back in eventually.
Plus Matthias seems to also be ahead of Dano.
We don't need an acquisition to replace Dano.
He will be replaced internally.
Maybe we get a body to bump someone further up the food chain down or just as peer depth.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If Hendricks scores than Maurice is a genius and if not he is a total moron. Well I guess he is a total moron. meh.

I thought the Jets would lose this one going against Getzlaf Kesler without Scheif and Lowry. SUPER impressed they took that game to OT.

Trouba played great in this one and he has been very good the last 5 - 10 games. The Jets blueline is keeping things together. 6 NHL defenceman at the disposal.

Reactions: Ippenator

Kgame

Oct 8, 2017
Thats a great feel good story for sure but thought we were trying to win games

Yeah, I know, but building a team and more importantly a 'Winning Culture' within that team is all about feel good stories. Besides, it's not like Hendricks hasn't delivered in shoot outs prior to being a Jet.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Loving how a large number of HF Jets is tearing a shred on a number of Jet players and coach Maurice as we sit in such a lofty position in the standings. Relax for a bit and realize we have played 29 road games out of a demanding 50 game schedule so far. Going 8-2-2 in 12 games without Scheifele and 5-2-1 without both Scheifele and Lowry.

Remember in years past where we could never string more than 2 wins in a row. I also recall people celebrating our reaching fake .500. These days are such a joy. What makes it an even bigger joy is the fact that the critics have legitimate gripes. This is what gives me the most confidence about the team, I don't think we have had any stretch during the season where our top two lines have been clicking at the same time for more than 1 game if even that.

I'm loving that we have a lot that we can improve on and we are still succesful. I smell sustainability.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Best shooter in the game and he tries a deke..,

How is this related to what I wrote? I was talking about the turnover that did lead to 1-1 goal.

If you are talking about the shootout, I think he made the right choice as he is also the best deker for the Jets in those situations and unfortunately did just hit the post this time. The best no-goal attempt of that shootout by far. No doubt he should once in a while also shoot on shootouts just to get those goalies nervous.

Lately Laine has had his shot a bit of in compared to his very high standard.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Ahhhh my nemesis Zhamnov10... or my brother...?

We have Scheif and Lowry coming back in eventually.
Plus Matthias seems to also be ahead of Dano.
We don't need an acquisition to replace Dano.
He will be replaced internally.
Maybe we get a body to bump someone further up the food chain down or just as peer depth.
It’s not that I don’t like Dano he is great around the net but isn’t able to bring much else,Lemieux is the type of guy we need to add to the 4th line but I still think he is a year away.A vet who can bang and chip in offensively would really help out for a playoff run.For the regular season as we sit I think we are fine but the playoffs is a different story.I really don’t like Matthias He doesn’t really bring anything to the table.I also only see one of Connor/Roslovic in the playoff line up at a time they both are still pretty weak along the boards.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It’s not that I don’t like Dano he is great around the net but isn’t able to bring much else,Lemieux is the type of guy we need to add to the 4th line but I still think he is a year away.A vet who can bang and chip in offensively would really help out for a playoff run.For the regular season as we sit I think we are fine but the playoffs is a different story.I really don’t like Matthias He doesn’t really bring anything to the table.I also only see one of Connor/Roslovic in the playoff line up at a time they both are still pretty weak along the boards.Would love to add a Dale Weise to the 4th line and Josh Gorges to replace Enstrom.I don’t think either guy will cost that much.Dano would likely be moved for one of them.
Chevy is much too smart to trade for Gorges...he is a healthy scratch on the Sabres some nights for God's sake.

Reactions: Oseductive

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just to make everyone feel better or at least "hmm, well, yep...okay" about the shootout.
shootout-list-raw.JPG

hxUG7Gj.gif

I know, I know, Gretzky wasn't great on breakaways, but they still had Sakic and Yzerman sitting on the bench. *Robert Reichel only player to score in that shootout*

Lindros beat Hasek but couldn't beat the post.
I remember seeing Shanahan immediately break down in tears when he missed the last chance.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Does it make sense we're playing Dano with a big tough, ball busting team like the Ducks, when we have Lemieux ??? I just don't get it ???

Lemieux is the perfect type of guy to insert into the lineup against these physical teams like the Ducks. Guys like Morrissey are really getting roughed up badly. Also small D-men like Enstrom aren't to much help against the bigger rougher teams -- Chiarot is the right guy, and played good.

In the last 3-4 games I've tried to watch Dano, but the guy is invisible and useless -- get rid of this guy !!!

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Welp, I think most of us were just hoping to tread water without Scheifele and stay in the race.

We've gone 8-2-2 without him, half of that without Lowry. 7 out of 8 points heading into the break. Gotta be pretty happy with that, and a 10 game homestand for when we come out of the break, on which Scheifele will at some point rejoin the team.

Things looking really good.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Hendrics in the shootout was just fine. He has a good history and maybe he has shown some slick movez in practice. Shootouts really have no relation to the rest of the game, or it's quite slim at least. They are quite different even from breakouts. Nobody does shootouts at quite the speed breakouts usually happen and they are very much in the moment while in shootouts both the goalie and shooter are really prepared.

And Laine deke was awesome, especially considering everyone else was just fumbling the puck on the bad ice. I won't call it bad luck, but it hit the post and then goalie pad, inch to the left and it's in. I might blame the ice though if I saw a replay. Also have to say Miller did a pretty good job, but could quite get all the way to the goal post, so I bet 9/10 Laine scores on that. Still, considering the ice, tonight might have been a good time to try a wrister or snapshot. Or good oldtime slapper from the slot, keep those goalies honest :D Apart from Laine no one else seemed to be even close to scoring. Same really for the Ducks except for that bastard who did score. I blame the shootout attempts being so toothless on the ice, it really did seem quite awful.

Reactions: Oseductive

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Welp, I think most of us were just hoping to tread water without Scheifele and stay in the race.

We've gone 8-2-2 without him, half of that without Lowry. 7 out of 8 points heading into the break. Gotta be pretty happy with that, and a 10 game homestand for when we come out of the break, on which Scheifele will at some point rejoin the team.

Things looking really good.

Yeah, IMO the Jets record without Scheif (and later also without Lowry) is the most impressive thing they've done this season. Which is saying a lot taking into the account the season they've had. I also give quite a bit of credit of that to Maurice, I think he deserves it. Yes, the team has good depth but beyond that everyone seems to be really focused and playing for the team and I don't think teams look like the Jets do without a good coach.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Do people not know that Dano is in Jets top 4 forwards for hits per min?

Does it make sense we're playing Dano with a big tough, ball busting team like the Ducks, when we have Lemieux ??? I just don't get it ???

Lemieux is the perfect type of guy to insert into the lineup against these physical teams like the Ducks. Guys like Morrissey are really getting roughed up badly. Also small D-men like Enstrom aren't to much help against the bigger rougher teams -- Chiarot is the right guy, and played good.

In the last 3-4 games I've tried to watch Dano, but the guy is invisible and useless -- get rid of this guy !!!

Enstrom was a poor -15 relCorsi%, but Chiarot was -16... worst for team D. Scoring chances moves Enstrom to average but drops Chiarot to worst on team, not just defenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Chevy is much too smart to trade for Gorges...he is a healthy scratch on the Sabres some nights for God's sake.
Didn’t realize his play has dropped off so much in the last couple of years,also forgot how below average his skating is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad