Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Saarela to ELC

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Nope, not $350,000. Tree fiddy.

Unless, of course, I can talk my wife into selling our house and moving in with all you guys. :sarcasm:

Nah, I'd say it means we think he has really good taste. And we want bragging rights. And that patio.

The patio was what got me really excited too. That and the 5 car garage and salt water pool.

Man imagine the gas and electric bill on a 8k Sq ft house. I wonder if he has a boiler or just like 6 HVAC units.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Unless, of course, I can talk my wife into selling our house and moving in with all you guys. :sarcasm:

Nah, I'd say it means we think he has really good taste. And we want bragging rights. And that patio.

And that kitchen. Seriously though, if his house is for sale, it's a pretty good sign that he's already turned his back on the organization, so our jokes about purchasing his (awesome) house are, in part, our way of dealing with the now-certain departure of a guy who's been our franchise player for over a decade.

If anything I'm surprised Eric's not keeping the house and making it an income property by renting it out. I know that's what Justin Williams did for quite awhile after we traded him. I'm sure there's got to be a guy on the team who'd love to rent Kasteel Staal.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Are we going to see Skins and Finns v2.0 eventually?

I mean, I realize a $1.85M house is always going to be incredible, but that thing checks all my boxes. Kinda thought he'd at least retire here eventually (not necessarily with the team), guess the ties weren't that strong.

That's a nice place. I agree...checks all the boxes.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Don't forget that nanny suite

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He should have spent more time in that modest looking home gym. His conditioning seemed to be lacking over the last several years, even allowing for injuries.

Thing is, he didn't spend summers here so the work in the offseason to build up his conditioning wouldn't have been done here anyhow. He and Jordan have adjoining places up in Thunder Bay. Although he has a gym there as well (see about the 2min. mark).

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Thing is, he didn't spend summers here so the work in the offseason to build up his conditioning wouldn't have been done here anyhow. He and Jordan have adjoining places up in Thunder Bay. Although he has a gym there as well (see about the 2min. mark).

The point about his home gym was sarcastic but the one about his poor conditioning was not.

Several years ago, not long after he was named C, they did stationary bike conditioning tests in camp. Everybody rode for the same amount of time, and they measured the distance (indirectly measuring speed and effort) each player had pedaled. As the captain, he came in dead last. This is directly from someone who was there and witnessed it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The point about his home gym was sarcastic but the one about his poor conditioning was not.

I know the point was sarcastic. Was sharing that video because he HAS a home gym and Thunder Bay and in the video, says he spends 2 hours a day, 5 days a week in the off season in there and talks about dedication and how hard you have to train in the offseason in the NHL these days, yet his conditioning entering training camp seemed lacking. (or in the case of the bike example you listed, was clearly lacking).

I wasn't trying to imply he was in good shape to enter seasons.

EDIT: I know this only a video, but even without that, Marty St. Louis was notorious for having unbelievable offseason work eithic.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I know the point was sarcastic. Was sharing that video because he HAS a home gym and Thunder Bay and in the video, says he spends 2 hours a day, 5 days a week in the off season in there and talks about dedication and how hard you have to train in the offseason in the NHL these days, yet his conditioning entering training camp seemed lacking. (or in the case of the bike example you listed, was clearly lacking).

I wasn't trying to imply he was in good shape to enter seasons.

EDIT: I know this only a video, but even without that, Marty St. Louis was notorious for having unbelievable offseason work eithic.

Yeah, MSL should open up his own training and conditioning center if he hasn't already. The guy's legs were like tree trunks.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
1902gzy5wjbrqjpg.jpg

When you're 5'8, you sure as **** better be the strongest/most conditioned guy out there.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Several years ago, not long after he was named C, they did stationary bike conditioning tests in camp. Everybody rode for the same amount of time, and they measured the distance (indirectly measuring speed and effort) each player had pedaled. As the captain, he came in dead last. This is directly from someone who was there and witnessed it.

This very nearly makes me angry, even today.

What was the title of that thread again? Oh yeah: "Eric Staal, the unfit captain of this team". Absolutely ****ing nailed it, didn't I.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
He should have spent more time in that modest looking home gym. His conditioning seemed to be lacking over the last several years, even allowing for injuries.

It's a compelling anecdote, but if this is true, it still just one day...I mean, at the risk of being an apologist, what if he wasn't 100% that day for whatever reason?

Do people think he wasn't a hard worker...I've never had this impression. He's been the TOI leader for forwards for this team since he was named captain in 2010...it would be very odd for the worst conditioned forward to get the most ice time.

I think in recent seasons, even he has been open about his conditioning not being where he wanted after the MCL sprain and broken foot...but it wasn't because he was slack.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It's been debated many, many times here. I would guess that this group is about 50% divided on whether he was slack or not.

To me, it wasn't a moment in time, as this bicycle conditioning test was...it was his body of work. Before I stopped watching (March 2014), I'd estimate about 25% of the time he looked like he was trying hard in all 200 feet of the rink. Can't comment on how he looked in the 2 years that followed, but up until that point he was very much a reach-and-coaster.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It's been debated many, many times here. I would guess that this group is about 50% divided on whether he was slack or not.

To me, it wasn't a moment in time, as this bicycle conditioning test was...it was his body of work. Before I stopped watching (March 2014), I'd estimate about 25% of the time he looked like he was trying hard in all 200 feet of the rink. Can't comment on how he looked in the 2 years that followed, but up until that point he was very much a reach-and-coaster.

The number of times he would be leaning on his stick with one knee on the ice, either screaming at the ref or pouting, while the play quickly moved the other way, told me his conditioning stunk. Or he didn't quite care enough to hustle back.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
His leg strength never really got there. He was an awkward skater when he was young, and it seemed he never really got over the hump with that. After his knee injury happened, it seemed like he was never go. A get back to where he was.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
It's a compelling anecdote, but if this is true, it still just one day...I mean, at the risk of being an apologist, what if he wasn't 100% that day for whatever reason?

Do people think he wasn't a hard worker...I've never had this impression. He's been the TOI leader for forwards for this team since he was named captain in 2010...it would be very odd for the worst conditioned forward to get the most ice time.

I think in recent seasons, even he has been open about his conditioning not being where he wanted after the MCL sprain and broken foot...but it wasn't because he was slack.
Oh, it is unequivocally, 100% true. If he was hurt, he wouldn't have ridden. That drill is all about effort and he mailed it in. He was the captain and needed to set an example and he just tanked.

I think it was right around the time he signed his long-term deal. My sense is he got complacent. Won a Cup early, got paid, became the C. He became known for his slow starts/strong finishes, and it could well have been due to poor off-season conditioning.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Up until we acquired Alex Semin I tried to give Eric the benefit of the doubt. He needed a quality winger.

The lockout season I watched as Eric Staal took a really stupid penalty while we sat on a one goal lead or a tie. He went to the box with a sluggish look on his face. The other team scored and he comes out of the box with that same stupid look. Then he proceeded to skate like he was skating in mud the rest of the game. All this while we held a slim lead on the SE division and badly needed a win to gain ground between us and Washington.

I really began to sour on Eric after that. He played way too much like he was mentally done the rest of his time here.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Up until we acquired Alex Semin I tried to give Eric the benefit of the doubt. He needed a quality winger.

The lockout season I watched as Eric Staal took a really stupid penalty while we sat on a one goal lead or a tie. He went to the box with a sluggish look on his face. The other team scored and he comes out of the box with that same stupid look. Then he proceeded to skate like he was skating in mud the rest of the game. All this while we held a slim lead on the SE division and badly needed a win to gain ground between us and Washington.

I really began to sour on Eric after that. He played way too much like he was mentally done the rest of his time here.

I remember that too. Team had looked good, like a legit playoff team, and then just inexplicably fell apart. That was also the point for me where I started to give up on him. Never should've been made captain.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Never should've been made captain.

I was no admirer of this play as a captain, but I still think he had to be the captain, and I don't see an issue with the timing of making him captain.

He just didn't elevate his game accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad