Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Saarela to ELC

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Aleksi Saarela (89th overall NYR 2015 Draft) Traded to Carolina Hurricanes 2.28.2016

Name Aleksi Saarela
Born 7th January 1997
Birthplace Helsinki
Height 178cm ( 5'10
Weight 88kg ( 194 lbs)
Shoots Left
Position C / LW

Scouting Report (eliteprospects.com)
A dangerous offensive forward that creates energy through scoring chances.
Possesses good hockey sense as well as good hands and stickhandling ability.
A smooth and speedy skater who has a lot of jump in his step.
Not very large in stature; however, his diminutive size doesn't deter his scoring prowess, and that is what he will have to rely upon to be successful.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I want Laine so bad.

Yeah like every bottom NHL team.
But honestly said if Hurricanes gets TOP3 lottery pick.

There's high chance for that Laine isn't available when Hurricanes makes their selection ( Laine will go after Matthews perhaps maybe even 1st. But that's not likely)
Puljujärvi is much versatile player than Laine but however both huge Finns ( Laine and Pulju) are great prospects so comparing them to each others is really hard.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah like every bottom NHL team.
But honestly said if Hurricanes gets TOP3 lottery pick.

There's high chance for that Laine isn't available when Hurricanes makes their selection ( Laine will go after Matthews perhaps maybe even 1st. But that's not likely)
Puljujärvi is much versatile player than Laine but however both huge Finns ( Laine and Pulju) are great prospects so comparing them to each others is really hard.

Laine might have the best shot, I think he's going to be the next Ovi. I get laughed at for that but I believe in him.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Saarela is actually a decent prospect. He was _very_ highly touted back when he was 15-16 years old but some injuries have slowed down his development. This year, however, has been his breakthrough season. He was great at the WJC and is maybe the best player in his FEL team. He has serious NHL-potential.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Solid prospect, but not spectacular. Has a second line ceiling, but more likely to be a third liner. Has a history of concussions, which is this big downside.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Saarela is actually a decent prospect. He was _very_ highly touted back when he was 15-16 years old but some injuries have slowed down his development. This year, however, has been his breakthrough season. He was great at the WJC and is maybe the best player in his FEL team. He has serious NHL-potential.

Did I read right that he is leading the entire FEL in goals? Or just Ässät?

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
I've been watching most of the Saarela's games this season and here's my 5 cents based on his performance in FEL.

Pros
  • Fast skater at FEL level, can often times beat the defender and drive to the net
  • Terrific one-timer. Both slapshot and wrister are heavy and he has a quick release
  • Despite small size, can be rather physical and protect the puck

Cons
  • I think his vision is not his strength. He likes to play center, but I think his strengths are better suited for a winger
  • Small size + injury history make you worry, how well he do against bigger and faster NHL players
  • Not consistent yet. However, I think he's stepped up this year, and he is in practice #1C in his current FEL team

It is very difficult to tell what his upside could be at the NHL level. Perhaps a speedy 3rd line winger with some scoring touch.

At WJC you could easily tell that he had been playing professional hockey for some time. He was strong in the 1-2-1 situations and won the puck constantly. Also, his positioning was usually very good. And it was Saarela, who basically did all to dirty work leading to Finland's OT winning goal in the final game.

I think he should definitely come overseas into NA next summer and try his wings. Most probably spending year in AHL... Actually, Saarela and Aho could be an interesting duo in AHL.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I've been watching most of the Saarela's games this season and here's my 5 cents based on his performance in FEL.

Pros
  • Fast skater at FEL level, can often times beat the defender and drive to the net
  • Terrific one-timer. Both slapshot and wrister are heavy and he has a quick release
  • Despite small size, can be rather physical and protect the puck

Cons
  • I think his vision is not his strength. He likes to play center, but I think his strengths are better suited for a winger
  • Small size + injury history make you worry, how well he do against bigger and faster NHL players
  • Not consistent yet. However, I think he's stepped up this year, and he is in practice #1C in his current FEL team

It is very difficult to tell what his upside could be at the NHL level. Perhaps a speedy 3rd line winger with some scoring touch.

At WJC you could easily tell that he had been playing professional hockey for some time. He was strong in the 1-2-1 situations and won the puck constantly. Also, his positioning was usually very good. And it was Saarela, who basically did all to dirty work leading to Finland's OT winning goal in the final game.

I think he should definitely come overseas into NA next summer and try his wings. Most probably spending year in AHL... Actually, Saarela and Aho could be an interesting duo in AHL.

I mostly agree with you, but I'd definitely consider his vision as a pro, not a con. I think that his lopsided goal/assist ratio has more to do with the talent he is playing with than a lack of vision. In my opinion he is creative passer with a strong vision.

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
I mostly agree with you, but I'd definitely consider his vision as a pro, not a con. I think that his lopsided goal/assist ratio has more to do with the talent he is playing with than a lack of vision. In my opinion he is creative passer with a strong vision.

That is a good point HockeyHistorian. He has been playing part of the season with not-so-skilled wingers in FEL.

What I tried to say is that I do not see him as a "classical center", totaling 1 goal to every 4 assist. When thinking about each player's strengths, Aho seems to me more like a center, while Saarela could be playing on his wing.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
That is a good point HockeyHistorian. He has been playing part of the season with not-so-skilled wingers in FEL.

Truth is that he couldn't have been playing with much better scorers than what he has been playing with, not in this league. His goal to assist ratio has been close to 1:1 for his whole career. He has fifth most shots in league while missing 10 games, he is shoot first guy. His strenghts seem to be suiting better for winger but he has played his best games as center and he prefers to play center. He is also good in face off circle.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Gotta "love" the Finnish click-ho sites.

One site which name I'm not gonna say as I don't want clicks for them had headline like this:

"Trade made NHL-team's fans go wild! Finnish 1st line soon?"

And obviously they got plenty of clicks.

Yeah, so wild :lol:

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015
Saarela has been rewarded for his great end to the season (10+8=18 in 24 games after the WJC, shared 4th position in the goal-scoring race and the sixth youngest player ever to score 20 goals a season) with a call up to the national team for the first preparatory camps ahead of the upcoming World Championships. He will make his debut with the Lions in the exhibition games against Slovakia on 7. and 8. of April.

Chances of Saarela making the final team still seem quite slim as many core players are still finishing up their club season but bigger surprises have happened.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=885954

Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with center Aleksi Saarela (al-EHX-ay sah’ah-REH-lah) on a three-year, entry-level contract. On the NHL level, the deal will pay Saarela $625,000 in 2016-17, $675,000 in 2017-18 and $750,000 in 2018-19, or $70,000 per season in the American Hockey League (AHL), and he receives a signing bonus of $277,500.
“Aleksi is a talented, offensive-minded player who we were excited to acquire at the trade deadline,†said Francis. “He took a big step forward last season and led his team in goal scoring as one of the league’s younger players, and we look forward to seeing his game continue to grow.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->