Rumor: Canes looking what they can get for Teuvo?

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
The posters saying that TT needs to go back to Europe or that he will never become a successful NHL player is mind boggling to me. The guy is already a successful NHL player. Is he going to become as good as we all hoped without a better work ethic and strength? No. But to say that he is a total failure is just crazy talk. He can play in all three zones and in all three situations. Yes, he will lose some physical battles and I wouldn't trust him at center in the playoffs, but he is an effective middle six winger that still has some upside if he is willing to work at it.

He is 6 months younger than Hinostroza and has been a full time NHL player for 2 years. Last I checked Hino was playing in the A.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
The posters saying that TT needs to go back to Europe or that he will never become a successful NHL player is mind boggling to me. The guy is already a successful NHL player. Is he going to become as good as we all hoped without a better work ethic and strength? No. But to say that he is a total failure is just crazy talk. He can play in all three zones and in all three situations. Yes, he will lose some physical battles and I wouldn't trust him at center in the playoffs, but he is an effective middle six winger that still has some upside if he is willing to work at it.

He is 6 months younger than Hinostroza and has been a full time NHL player for 2 years. Last I checked Hino was playing in the A.

Yeah even if he doesn't get any better he should be able to carve out a solid career as a depth scorer.

I'm kind of surprised TT gets so much harsh criticism on this board. He was a decent (at the least) contributor towards the 2015 Stanley Cup win.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah even if he doesn't get any better he should be able to carve out a solid career as a depth scorer.

I'm kind of surprised TT gets so much harsh criticism on this board. He was a decent (at the least) contributor towards the 2015 Stanley Cup win.

Seemingly bad attitude will do it every time.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

It was all love when he was here but since Stan traded him in a horrendous trade then he must be bad now and will never be a true NHL center because they have to stick up for their boy Stan the Man

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It was all love when he was here but since Stan traded him in a horrendous trade then he must be bad now and will never be a true NHL center because they have to stick up for their boy Stan the Man

I don't get the hate but it was not all love here at all. Some people were very low on TT (MM, Bobby, etc). I am most likely the highest on his potential here and I still think he can be a really good NHL player. The trade sucked in the sense that the Hawks had to move TT to move Bickell's deal. The return was better than I expected actually.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004

I don't know if it even was a horrendous trade. I didn't look it up but it sees to me that it netted Debrincat.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Personally I was more looking at the Canes apparent willingness to trade him after one year. It would have appeared to be a good location for him to get minutes and grow as a player and he had fellow countryman Aho to boot. That more than Stan's trading him have fueled my feeling of his lack of NHL fortitude ... oh and the fact that he will be due more money pretty soon!

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Carolina's offense is built around a bunch of small forwards and Teuvo is the most expendable of them. I think he goes on to have a Versteeg career with a couple very good outlier seasons and the rest of the time hovering around 35-45 points.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Personally I was more looking at the Canes apparent willingness to trade him after one year. It would have appeared to be a good location for him to get minutes and grow as a player and he had fellow countryman Aho to boot. That more than Stan's trading him have fueled my feeling of his lack of NHL fortitude ... oh and the fact that he will be due more money pretty soon!

Agreed. Playing with Aho seemed to be the perfect scenario for TT.

If at all possible, a few of us were willing to give TT another year in Chicago to prove himself. Though I haven't seen him much in Carolina, the fact that he is deemed expendable (already) seems to speak volumes.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010

I think BK was talking about we got Schmaltz to come out of college after we moved him.

So we "netted" Schmaltz, and whatever Russian player listed on the link, that we got Schmaltz now. And who knows, maybe he does a (guy from NYR, forget his name) and doesn't sign with us ever. So I know I was down on TT, don't know his attitude but his play wasn't great. He can pass and that is about it. I don't think he will ever be a complete hockey player.

Anyway ,I think that is what BK meant, we got Schmatlz out of it.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don't really get the Versteeg comparison. TT has a more elite skill set and they're not even similar in play style. That said, Versteeg's first stint with the Hawks trumps anything TT has done in the league to date. He was a pretty good player pre-ACL injury. The Hawks must have been dead on about TT's work ethic because that's two teams now that have soured on him rather quickly.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Has it even been reported that it is a work ethic issue? It was one tweet saying that the canes are looking into moving him. Their top 6 is full of small forwards and TT is the one they would move.

TT could net a very good goalie and a prospect at this point (the canes need a goalie bad).

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Has it even been reported that it is a work ethic issue? It was one tweet saying that the canes are looking into moving him. Their top 6 is full of small forwards and TT is the one they would move.

TT could net a very good goalie and a prospect at this point (the canes need a goalie bad).

It is so hard to assess a kids work ethic. For TT it just as easily can be that he is very small, slight, and fears contact and hence plays with his head on a swivel and is not as focused as would be the case otherwise. Now, one thing that does suggest an off-ice work ethic issue was the fact that he was instructed to work out and gain weight and strength and did not do so... that is what likely got him moved from here. Because he did not dedicate to that task, he basically had to go.

Without putting on weight and strength and getting massively stronger on the puck, TT will perform several levels below what would be the case if he got stronger. Last point --- TT is not an NHL washout. He is a guy who will get 30-35 pts routinely and that will keep him in the league --- making decent NHL money (which is insane $ for guys like us). Now... again, if he got stronger and then won some board battles, was not driven off the puck so easily and played better D based upon strength and confidence --- well he would likely command double the salary he will as the small, non-physical player he is currently. The point... he is no washout, but he is much, much less than he could be were he to put on 15 pounds of muscle and get tougher.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I doubt Carolina is seriously shopping him, but if he could be had for a 2nd I would do it in a heartbeat.... after the expansion draft.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Nothing outside the reports the Hawks were pissed he wanted to go back to Finland after last season instead of training in Chicago. And the comments Kimmo made about how TT needed to spend more time in the gym and less on the links during the offseason. Something like that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nothing outside the reports the Hawks were pissed he wanted to go back to Finland after last season instead of training in Chicago. And the comments Kimmo made about how TT needed to spend more time in the gym and less on the links during the offseason. Something like that.

He meant have any reports from Carolina stated it's a work ethic thing, like here in Chicago? And to that, I have no idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad